We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Does some have the "we play for LAst place" banner? Need to dust that off

khjmLoT.jpg

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Nick Shore was -4? Why is he still playing?

That's not all his fault. Half of those goals should have been stopped by an NHL goalie. :laugh:

How he's on the roster ahead of Kempe makes no sense to me. Clearly they didn't promote the best performers out of camp.

Kempe is fine playing big minutes in the AHL. Besides, do you really want him exposed to this?

He's good enough today to replace someone on the roster. I'd rather he continue developing. There's no rush with Quick out.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think it's that bad. This season may take some antacid and lead to broken thing around peoples living rooms, but it'll be good to watch guys grow and find out what we have on the farm. I'm looking forward to the youth making a push in the next year or 2.

They can turn it around sooner then 5 years. They have 1C, 2C, 1D, 1G right now. Really they only need to find a 3C, and sort the D out. They have most of the hard positions to fill already filled.
They will have roster full of 2nd an 3rd line players...and speaking of defence bunch of 3D's.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Vegas will not be a garden variety hockey town. They are all about entertainment. They would take Gaborik for nothing. Have you looked around at what skill in the forward ranks they are likely to get from the draft? They have to compete with all the shows going on in the city at any one time. They need their team to be exciting to watch with the ability to build an audience right from the get go.

I'd say the Kings are in a more desperate position than Vegas. Would you take Gaborik for nothing if you knew the Kings cap situation? He had 12 whole goals, will be 35, and misses 25% of games.

I think Vegas taking Gaborik straight up in the expansion draft is nothing but hope. This isn't the Gaborik from Minnesota. If it happens, great, but I'm not seeing it. It either costs the Kings something good, or he's not going anywhere.

Well, like I said, I think 8 year deals that take non-star players well into their 30's is a bad idea.

Yeah, but I don't know any GM that would've done those two deals differently. The captain of the team, and a guy that had a great playoff. I don't think there's a GM smart enough to not do those deals. All the other stuff, yes, but not Brown and Gaborik, and not with the timing of those deals.

The Gaborik signing for 7 years was to lower the cap hit, which again, is a flawed and terrible strategy. Should have signed Gabby to a 3-4 year deal for $6m a season rather than 7 years at $5m AAV. But again Dean Lombardi just couldn't look at things rationally and HAD to have the extra money to use towards bringing back Greene and Richards. Both of whom were basically at the end of their careers and could have easily been replaced by rookies making the minimum, but no Dean added $8m of cap hits to bring them back.

$18m-$24m is a lot less than the $34m Gaborik got in the contract. He was brought in because Brown stopped scoring, then led the Kings in goals on their way to a Cup, and Lombardi didn't have the guts to walk away. Tough to think any GM would've in that situation.

Gaborik would be attractive to a contender at the deadline if he were an UFA or even had one year left, with another four years after this one he has zero trade value, even with his "reduced" cap hit.

I'm sorry, there is no other way describe this but as a huge disaster by the GM. Other than the Lecavalier trade everything Dean has touched since 2014 has turned to ****. Below avg. NHL roster, awful contracts, awful pipeline. I hate to say this but I think the JQ injury may in the long run be one of the best things to happen to this team, it's going to give us a top pick and hopefully forces Dean's hand at the deadline to dump off some people.

Well at least he didn't do all he probably could've to re-sign Lucic. He finally didn't compound a mistake when he had the chance not to. He finally stopped believing in the roster this summer, as shown by the moves he did make.

I still think had they gone out to the Sharks in 2014 the way they did in 2016, what's happening right now would've happened back then. Richards would've been bought out, Greene let go, Gaborik not signed. The 2015 and 2016 picks aren't dealt. Everything would've been different. After the crazy run, Lombardi thought they could manage to do anything. If they make the playoffs in 2015, I'm not sure the Lucic deal gets made. I think that deal was made because it was the 2016 pick that went to Carolina, and you didn't want Carolina winning that lottery with the Kings pick.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Speaking of ****** Dean Lombardi moves post-2014, how's that McNabb trade looking now?

Considering that Hudson Fasching has played all of 9 games so far in the NHL, it's looking pretty productive as of right now. Probably better to revisit this trade in a couple years when Fasching has had some time to make an impact.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Speaking of ****** Dean Lombardi moves post-2014, how's that McNabb trade looking now?

Like everything else after 2014, it's turned into mush, but in terms of process over result, that was actually one of the forward thinking moves Lombardi has made post-2014. Mitchell was old and a UFA. Muzzin and Martinez needed to be signed to bigger contracts. He knew Regehr was retiring after 14-15. Forbort still wasn't ready. Gravel in his first year out of college. With all the forwards that were signed and needed to be signed, the McNabb deal was trading a prospect winger for a prospect defenseman. At the time, Voynov was still here. Now, McNabb is forced into bigger situations. Has been from the start.

Bring in McNabb at the 2014 deadline. He becomes the 7th defenseman in 14-15. Then a top 6 guy in 15-16 if all goes well. See how he develops for 16-17. All the while with Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, and Martinez signed. I'm guessing that was the idea.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
They will have roster full of 2nd an 3rd line players...and speaking of defence bunch of 3D's.

Are you a Ducks fan? I just have to ask because I did some research on that Bieksa contract and it may be the worst contract in the league. Needed to ask someone. Really was it signed last Summer? So they're paying 4M to a bottom pairing defenseman at this point. The Ducks are going to lose one of Fowler/Lind/Vat because of the Bieksa contract. They have to buy him out in order to not waste a protection slot on him in the expansion draft. The problem with that is it's a 35+ contract and the Ducks will be stuck with Bieksa's full cap hit even if he is bought out. That is so incredibly short sighted.

The Fasching trade? This is me really caring. Also where would the Kings have been without McNabb? Everyone likes to rip on him, but the fact is that neither Gravel or Forbort are ahead of him at this point. McNabb's been playing big minutes for the Kings. McNabb currently tied with Martinez in the lead for +- with a 0 for Kings defensemen. Muzzin is a -2, Forbort is a -3. +- isn't the greatest stat in the world, but when you look at pucks ending up in the back of the net from screw-ups, McNabb's been one of the better defenders this year. Also has a goal!

Forbort/Doughty
Muzzin/Martinez
Gravel/Greene

That's the lineup without McNabb. Think about how bad that would have been last year or this year.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
We must have had some big waves lately, Nick Shore has eroded.

Honestly I can't even evaluate the roster right now because they aren't playing like themselves, it's like they are all in a panic with zero confidence. It's tough to figure out who's poop when the entire team is a sewage treatment plant.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You mean Fasching + Deslauriers for McNabb and 2 2nds, which were flipped for Gaborik for the 2014 cup run?

Nope. You keep saying this but you are wrong. The second dealt in the Gaborik trade was from Toronto (from the Bernier trade).

The second round picks the Kings received from Buffalo were used to select Alex Lintuniemi and Erik Cernak.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I'd like to add, if you're upset about the McNabb trade, that anger should be focused at Forbort. A first round pick that took until he had to pass through waivers to make the team. If he developed in 2-3 years to a bottom pairing defender there's probably no need to trade for McNabb in the first place.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Goaltending lost this game. Zatkoff is a ****ing sieve. Those 1st two Wild goals were brutal. It's going to be a very long 3-4 months if they are sticking with Zatkoff.

Yeah, nobody is really helping him, but a few of the goals are on him. Not sure how much better Quick does, since he hasn't been a stone wall in net every game the last few years while the team has been scrambling in front of him either. It's one thing to let in a couple goals from around the crease, it's another to do that, and also let in multiple long shots with nobody around you.

Sutter gave Zatkoff a chance to be better after the Flyers game, and he wasn't. You figure Budaj gets next game, but it's against the Stars, and the Kings can't seem to do much right. Which means they'll probably win the game, but it could also be 5-1 again.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Goaltending lost this game. Zatkoff is a ****ing sieve. Those 1st two Wild goals were brutal. It's going to be a very long 3-4 months if they are sticking with Zatkoff.

He is what he is, guy who in the last two years played less than 20 games. He's not the answer, but last night, when the score was tied, what exactly did the team do in front of him? Piss poor power play as well.
The way they played was a lot like last year, lackluster, lazy for 2 periods and then amped up in the 3rd, except last year, it was JQ in net an the were usually down 1-0, or 2-1. Sutter lost this team 2 years ago, that hasn't changed.
I don't see DL throwing the season away, butdepending on how long JQ is out , I don't see him going more than 10 games or so before making a move, not to lose too much ground in the standings.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
isa dillman ‏@reallisa 5m5 minutes ago

Jonathan Quick update
Per kings hockey ops - did not have surgery
Opted for a procedure yesterday that did not involve surgery

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'd like to add, if you're upset about the McNabb trade, that anger should be focused at Forbort. A first round pick that took until he had to pass through waivers to make the team. If he developed in 2-3 years to a bottom pairing defender there's probably no need to trade for McNabb in the first place.

Forbort is right on track with a typical defensemans development. Some people are just spoiled by Drew Doughty.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Forbort is right on track with a typical defensemans development. Some people are just spoiled by Drew Doughty.

Yup, looking very similar to Gravel's development curve. Not something I expect out of a mid first round pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Forbort was drafted in 2010. His draft is approaching 7 years. He'll be turning 25 in March, and he still hasn't figured out how to use his gangly 6'4" frame.

People aren't spoiled by Doughty. People are afraid that the Kings burned a high pick on yet another Jeff Schultz or Keaton Ellerby, tall, awkward defensemen who were way too timid to stay at this level.

The Kings have nothing to lose playing him now. Might as well showcase him if things don't work out. He definitely hasn't developed into the player they thought they were getting when they selected him.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
What kind of a procedure is not surgery?

There is a lengthy article here, case study is NHL player who suffered a sports hernia type injury and elected for non surgical treatment. It involves, therapy, cryotherapy and electrical intervention among other soft tissue techniques thru several phases.

It does note that if the patient doesn't achieve the desired results after months of non operative treatment, surgery is then the option.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3273884/

Could be something similar with JQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad