10,000 days

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
I just finished watching Game 5 of the 1993 Stanley Cup Final.

Habs 4 - Kings 1
Habs win their 24th and LAST Stanley Cup.

This is my 3rd favorite version of the Habs team after the '76-'77 and the 85'- 86 cup champions and yes I am that old to remember both of those teams very clearly.

My favorite habs on this team were Muller, Damphousse and John LeClair (don't get me started!)

On October 25, 2020 it will be 10,000 days since we last won a cup; I had just graduated from Engineering school and was watching the game at a friend house.

I STILL have both official 1993 Stanly Cup Champion ball caps in perfect shape.

10,000 days... let that sink in for a second.

Heck if anyone would have told me that they Habs wouldn't even make a final in 10,000 days I would have bet my car and my future home that they were smoking some really bad stuff!

The terrible GMs, bad trades, lousy drafting .... enough to start drinking Labatt's products! :)

I feel bad for all the younger Habs fans who haven't seen us win a cup ... heck I'm in my early 50s and after the past few years I wonder if it will be another 10,000 days (GOD FORBID)

If you get a chance to see a few of the older games, check them out young Habs fans. Besides seeing us win you'll appreciate the speed of today's game and how good the goaltending is today (except for #33 of course !)

Let's hope the off-season moves will finally put us on the right track!

Thanks for reading about this little trip dowm memory lane and I'd love to read some of your stories when we were once the Greatest Team in the World!

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I just calculated how many days old I am. It’s considerably more than 10,000 days. It looked even worse when I calculated hours and minutes.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Younger Habs fan here. I am always afraid they won't win again in my lifetime. I did grow up in Leafs country afterall...

Some of my favourite memories have been the run Cammalleri/Halak run (I was working in the far north, tough to get games). The comeback vs. the rangers (friends pestered me to turn off the game and go out). The run where Kreider injured Carey was fun (until that moment), I was backpacking in Asia and didn't miss a game. I'm hoping this year's run was a harbinger for future entertaining playoff runs.

Reactions: cphabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Younger Habs fan here. I am always afraid they won't win again in my lifetime. I did grow up in Leafs country afterall...

Some of my favourite memories have been the run Cammalleri/Halak run (I was working in the far north, tough to get games). The comeback vs. the rangers (friends pestered me to turn off the game and go out). The run where Kreider injured Carey was fun (until that moment), I was backpacking in Asia and didn't miss a game. I'm hoping this year's run was a harbinger for future entertaining playoff runs.
At least the Leafs haven't won anything...

yet.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut

I hope you're right, for the first time in a very long time I think we can win if different way and not put all of it on Price's back!

Training camp should be interesting, I am not convinced we have any depth at the wings in the AHL, but that a conversation for a different thread! :)

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...I still remember being a kid and watching Ken Dryden just leaning on his goal stick and thinking that I wanted to be him when I grew up...needless to say my goaltending career never reached those lofty expectations (mostly because I was a terrible skater and my five-hole was large enough to drive a semi through)...10,00 days; Jebus, 1993 doesn't seem that long ago...

:wally

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Visited my buddy at Dayton University for the finals that year while an undergraduate. Was fantastic lmao! Played rollerblade hockey during the day and watched the series in the evening. Gotta say, Dayton University has a great environment for kids.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I just calculated how many days old I am. It’s considerably more than 10,000 days. It looked even worse when I calculated hours and minutes.

Do seconds. A Billion seconds, now that I recognized it, was a pretty big disappointment that I missed it :(

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I’m pushing 50, I was in the Forum for that one.

If it takes another 10,000 days my availability is questionable.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well... I'm older than all you guys, including the OP. I remember the Habs winning the Cup against St. Louis in 1969, Jean Beliveau scoring his 500th goal, and the entire epic 70s, from the Orr/Esposito Bruins through the Broad Street Bullies through the Habs' total dominance.

My favourite Stanley Cup was probably 1986, because it had been awhile (7 whole years!!) and I was old enough to finally appreciate how rare winning a Cup actually is. Plus, there was this new kid named Roy who looked like he was 16, but played like an ancient Roman General. Went to the parade and watched him pass by while hoisting the Cup above his head, this pale, skinny kid who was drunk out of his mind but had somehow pulled this team all the way to victory.

Man, I suddenly feel old. On the other hand, I've seen my team win more Cups than the entire Leafs board... combined.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Well... I'm older than all you guys, including the OP. I remember the Habs winning the Cup against St. Louis in 1969, Jean Beliveau scoring his 500th goal, and the entire epic 70s, from the Orr/Esposito Bruins through the Broad Street Bullies through the Habs' total dominance.

My favourite Stanley Cup was probably 1986, because it had been awhile (7 whole years!!) and I was old enough to appreciate how rare it is to win one. Plus, there was this new kid named Roy who looked like he was 16, but played like an ancient Roman General. Went to the parade and watched him pass by while hoisting the Cup above his head, this pale, skinny kid who was drink out of his mind but had somehow pulled this team all the way to victory.

Man, I suddenly feel old. On the other hand, I've seen my team win more Cups than the entire Leafs board... combined.

You guys were lucky. If you saw the 1970's dynasty at least you caught the tail end of our true greatness. But you even managed to catch a glimpse of Jean Béliveau and Henri Richard.

My grandmother, who is still alive, saw the entire golden age including the three dynasties of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I remember the 1993 cup and have vague flashbacks about 1986.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad