1-piece sticks - sawing blade off / inserting blade in top...

mikeylikey

Jun 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
So I broke my first stick last weekend. Someone told me to saw the stick right above the blade, and buy a new blade to stick in the top end. Now that I have done that, the top (former bottom) of the stick is much more narrow. The stick is also very flexible near the top of the shaft. It does not bend much near the bottom. My question is, will this affect the way I play at all? I'm still new, so my shots / passes are not that great yet.

We'reGonnaWin*

Your new top (where the blade used to be) is narrow because that's where it used to taper off. You could try inserting a tapered blade into that end instead. Which brings us to why your stick is flexible at the top: That end used to be the blade end of the shaft, which is engineered to be more flexible, whereas your new bottom is now stiff since it used to be the top.

Basically, the way your stick flexes now is exactly the opposite of how a stick is engineered to work. I would recommend that you try to buy a tapered blade to put something back in the proper tapered end. Otherwise, you could just keep this as a backup stick. Or if your budget doesn't allow, you could buy the bullet and try to get used to shaft that flexes way too high.

BrianNYR

Dec 11, 2007
buy the same stick and send the old one back to the manufacturer with the new receipt
works every time

We'reGonnaWin*

Great advice, BrianNYR. We all know sticks cost nothing anyways! Give the companies an excuse to keep charging everyone more for sticks.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

RaoulDuke2k

Aug 13, 2008
does anyone know what the markup is on these sticks? I wonder how cheap they are to make.

We'reGonnaWin*

That end is too small for it? Have you made sure that the inside of the shaft is sufficiently cleaned and hollowed out? Cut in small 1/2" increments until it finally fits.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
buy the same stick and send the old one back to the manufacturer with the new receipt
works every time

And then when that one breaks you are SOL.

Companies like Easton...I believe Bauer is too are now serializing sticks so this little scheme will no longer work.

If you can't afford to have an OPS break, you shouldn't be buying them.

Would you really ask your friend to risk his job just so you can cheat the company out of a free stick...?

As for inserting a tapered blade. You'll probably need to cut it a few times and clean out the area before you are able to insert the blade. If that sounds like too much trouble, just cut the shaft higher up and insert a standard blade. Least this way the stick will still flex as designed. There is really no reason to put the blade in the other end.

AHF

Apr 21, 2004
Edmonton
If that sounds like too much trouble, just cut the shaft higher up and insert a standard blade. Least this way the stick will still flex as designed. There is really no reason to put the blade in the other end.

...to follow up on that, if you cut it higher up for a standard blade, you'll need to buy an extension; your stick will be too short otherwise.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
yeah when you buy a stick the extra stick cost is included for instances where you have a defect. I know this and it's hella lame.

sawing off a 1 peice compposite stick and sticking in a new blade is a bad idea. It weakens the break point a lot more. Sawing off the top works better and obviously makes the flex higher but doesn't weaken it as much. A lot of new sticks are designed to actually saw the top off to make it shorter/extension.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
yeah when you buy a stick the extra stick cost is included for instances where you have a defect. I know this and it's hella lame.

sawing off a 1 peice compposite stick and sticking in a new blade is a bad idea. It weakens the break point a lot more. Sawing off the top works better and obviously makes the flex higher but doesn't weaken it as much. A lot of new sticks are designed to actually saw the top off to make it shorter/extension.

Not sure I follow. If you break a blade the break point will be removed once you cut the blade off. Turning broken OPSs into a tapered shaft/blade set up is a common practice.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I have yet to hear about a stick designed to have a blade put in the top after breakage.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Not sure I follow. If you break a blade the break point will be removed once you cut the blade off. Turning broken OPSs into a tapered shaft/blade set up is a common practice.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but I have yet to hear about a stick designed to have a blade put in the top after breakage.

Yes you can still have it. No I def didn't mean put the blade at the top. Just meant a lot of 1 piece sticks are being designed to saw the top off to put extensions or make it shorter.

We'reGonnaWin*

Yes, it's built into the cost of sticks because people abuse it. And the more it's abused, the higher that cost goes.

What's the point you're trying to make? Everyone should start doing it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad