Value of: #1 Overall Pick from Rangers - Open to trade? What kind of trade would it take?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Surprised there isn't already a thread discussing this. So im curious - Ranger fans - now that you won #1 overall how open are you to trading him?

And if you were to consider trading, what kind of trade is most likely?

Star player 1 for 1 almost. Example someone was suggesting Barkov. Not sure if people like this trade or not - but in terms of value I'd say its pretty close with a possible small add on either side.

Strictly trade with high 2020 pick + add-on for first? So example LA or Ott moving up + addon to get first overall in exhange for 2 or 3 overall?

Or - trade by committee. As a Habs fan - we dont have a player as valuable as Barkov nor a really high 2020 pick. But we do have a ton of young prospects/players as well as future picks. Would a trade for 3-5 very solid pieces be your favorite option, assuming overall value was obviously very high?

I feel like Rangers are in a pretty good place in their rebuild. Obviously Lafreniere is amazing, but you guys probably dont desperately need a player like him as much as most teams picking first usually do. Is there an apetite for trade, or not at all?

To not leave this completely speculative - here's a potential offer from Habs - not sure if value is right:

Montreal gets:

#1 Overall pick

Rangers get:

Romanov
KK or Caulfield or Domi (your choice)
2021 1st round pick (unprotected)

Possible minor adds - even cap dump - if value isnt fully there. Close, or way off?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I see where the OP is coming from in that the Rags LW depth makes trading him plausible but there is much to be said for keeping the future star while cost controlled and having the best LW in the league.

If I were the Rags I'd rather move my current #2LW and keep the 1=2 punch unless an Eichel type is in the offering.

Reactions: slg1963

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I think the Sens with their two top 5 picks would be in the best position to make a deal. Given the value of having two cost controlled assets for 7 years vs one in a flat cap environment, I can see how that would be appealing to the Rangers. Really depends if they feel they could get a first pairing D and first line C or RW out of it.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
To not leave this completely speculative - here's a potential offer from Habs - not sure if value is right:

Montreal gets:

#1 Overall pick

Rangers get:

Romanov

Possible minor adds - even cap dump - if value isnt fully there. Close, or way off?
Not only is the value not right, it's not on the same planet.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Surprised there isn't already a thread discussing this. So im curious - Ranger fans - now that you won #1 overall how open are you to trading him?

And if you were to consider trading, what kind of trade is most likely?

Star player 1 for 1 almost. Example someone was suggesting Barkov. Not sure if people like this trade or not - but in terms of value I'd say its pretty close with a possible small add on either side.

Strictly trade with high 2020 pick + add-on for first? So example LA or Ott moving up + addon to get first overall in exhange for 2 or 3 overall?

Or - trade by committee. As a Habs fan - we dont have a player as valuable as Barkov nor a really high 2020 pick. But we do have a ton of young prospects/players as well as future picks. Would a trade for 3-5 very solid pieces be your favorite option, assuming overall value was obviously very high?

I feel like Rangers are in a pretty good place in their rebuild. Obviously Lafreniere is amazing, but you guys probably dont desperately need a player like him as much as most teams picking first usually do. Is there an apetite for trade, or not at all?

Montreal gets:

#1 Overall pick

Rangers get:

Romanov

Not close

Reactions: BroadwayStorm

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The pick won;t be traded. But it you want a trade both sides will probably hate which makes it close
NYR trades 1OV and 2nd round pick
Det trades pick 4 and Seider.

Reactions: BerlinBlueShirt

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
The pick won;t be traded. But it you want a trade both sides will probably hate which makes it close
NYR trades 1OV and 2nd round pick
Det trades pick 4 and Seider.
1. Why would the Rangers, who won the lottery and have all the strength in the deal, have to accept a deal they'd "hate"?
2. Zero percent chance 4 and Seider is getting you Laf.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
1. Why would the Rangers, who won the lottery and have all the strength in the deal, have to accept a deal they'd "hate"?
2. Zero percent chance 4 and Seider is getting you Laf.
By hate I mean the fans on hfboards and not the rangers.

And I believe I said the pick won't be traded.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I swear every time a team wins the draft lottery its traditionally a Montreal fan who is attempting to swoop in and ask "what it would take to get that pic".

Well i'm asking a broader question just to see how Ranger fans feel about trading the pick. This thread isn't strictly about the offer I suggested from Montreal's perspective. I just threw that in there so it wasn't just a speculative thread, but had an actual proposal to discuss to kick things off.

I see a few Ranger fans so far saying not for trade, which is fine. I think this year is more unique than others however - Rangers are in a better position as a franchise/their rebuild than any other team who won a #1 pick in.....I don't know how many years. So I think it's a more interesting conversation this year than usual.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I think the only trade that makes sense is Ottawa dealing 3 and 5 - only IF the Rangers want to grab a C and a D instead of another LW.

They address 2 of their biggest holes long term with studs while Ottawa gets what they need more than anything, a “face of the franchise”.

Unfortunately though there’s too much risk that comes with trading the 1st overall. Even if picks 3 and 5 pan out, the Rangers would never be able to overlook what could have been if Laf ends up matching the hype.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Isn't the easier question simply that if LW is truly a strength then just draft Byfield? You can't trade with LA at #2 because they want Byfield too according to all the analysts so the only option besides AL is that move. LA would then have to decide on the scenarios.

But if FORCED to think of a trade you'd have to think of a team with a young, top flight center and they aren't growing on trees. Or a probable Top pair young defender like Chabot and would the Senators go there? If there was another center like Byfield (or a Dach/Dubois/etc.) with Ottawa, then maybe you could see a possible opening but I don't see that anywhere.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Well i'm asking a broader question just to see how Ranger fans feel about trading the pick. This thread isn't strictly about the offer I suggested from Montreal's perspective. I just threw that in there so it wasn't just a speculative thread, but had an actual proposal to discuss to kick things off.

I see a few Ranger fans so far saying not for trade, which is fine. I think this year is more unique than others however - Rangers are in a better position as a franchise/their rebuild than any other team who won a #1 pick in.....I don't know how many years. So I think it's a more interesting conversation this year than usual.
Look at least you offer substance in your proposal unlike most Montreal fanboys saying "wE WAnT yoUR PiCK aND YoU GivE iT tO uS" garbage we see.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I swear every time a team wins the draft lottery its traditionally a Montreal fan who is attempting to swoop in and ask "what it would take to get that pic".

This is true, although most times a team wins a lottery they aren’t already playoff caliber while already having a great young core in place. Not to mention their current LW depth.

The Rangers situation is pretty unique. I still think there’s little chance of them moving it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they listen to offers at the very least.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Isn't the easier question simply that if LW is truly a strength then just draft Byfield? You can't trade with LA at #2 because they want Byfield too according to all the analysts so the only option besides AL is that move. LA would then have to decide on the scenarios.

But if FORCED to think of a trade you'd have to think of a team with a young, top flight center and they aren't growing on trees. Or a probable Top pair young defender like Chabot and would the Senators go there? If there was another center like Byfield (or a Dach/Dubois/etc.) with Ottawa, then maybe you could see a possible opening but I don't see that anywhere.

Lafreniere >> Byfield for trade value. I don't care if Rangers prefer Byfield, or if they even believe he'll be the better player - I don't think they can afford to simply select him at #1 considering the big difference in perceived value. You have to find a way to monetize that.

Trade the pick to LA for #2 overall++ if they want Byfield. And obviously - LA wouldn't be stupid enough to pay extra to get #1 just to select Byfield anyways, so they only do it to get Laf.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Look at least you offer substance in your proposal unlike most Montreal fanboys saying "wE WAnT yoUR PiCK aND YoU GivE iT tO uS" garbage we see.

If your point is to say Hab fans are the worst when it comes to making proposals on here - I'd tend to agree. Still - I don't think my thread here is all that bad, and I think it has merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad