1 minute left and you pulled your goalie

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
For some unexplained reason you find your team down by one goal with one minute to play in regulation. You've got the following players on the ice...

Gretzky
Mario
Gordie
Orr
Lidstrom

...You want to send this game to OT so you've pulled your goalie and you're looking down your bench to put a player on as an extra attacker. You've got your choice of ANY player in history as long as they played at least one NHL season from 1970 to the current year. Who do you choose and why?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Brett Hull might be a good choice, since he’d just go get lost in the slot somewhere while the above murderers row draws all the attention. If you’re too concerned with his chemistry with Wayne, park Esposito in front.

Reactions: Killion

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Lindros would be great on the forecheck and in the corners, leading to turnovers. He would be a tough guy to clear the crease, helping to screen the goalie and possibly getting a deflection or rebound.
Or maybe a pure sniper.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Based on the LGTG (<3 minutes) chart posted a while back by morehockeystats, Selanne’s 15 are the most going back to 1988. He had 4 in 2010-11 alone. Shanahan was next at 12.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Pavel Bure or Connor McDavid.

Purely for speed - in case it's needed. They're also talented enough to score/complete almost any play that pops up.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Someone good at picking up garbage in front of the net but skilled enough to do other things as well - so Crosby or Esposito.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Howe
Lemieux
Gretzky
Lindros
Orr
MacInnis

Edit: Agree that Esposito would be very useful there.Same with Brett.I could use Potvin or Harvey instead of MacInnis, but hey so many to choose from.

Edit2: Misread OP.For one player to go with the group in OP, I'd take peak Lindros for more muscle around the board.Frosberg would be another choice.Esposito and Crosby too of course.

Lemieux is actually an underrated garbage collector IMO.Him, Howe and Lindros can do that.

Last edited:

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Assuming Gretzky behind the net, Mario on the LW circle (kind of dqs Ovechkin), Gordie as a goal mouth presence, and Orr and Lidstrom on the points (presumably with Orr as the one pinching more often)...

That leaves a gap on the RW board that Jagr could fill in nicely. Puck possession is important in these situations too.

I imagine the fun play is a Lidstrom slapshot wide, for Gretzky to recover and shovel to a blitzing Orr.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Assuming Gretzky behind the net, Mario on the LW circle (kind of dqs Ovechkin), Gordie as a goal mouth presence, and Orr and Lidstrom on the points (presumably with Orr as the one pinching more often)...

That leaves a gap on the RW board that Jagr could fill in nicely. Puck possession is important in these situations too.

I imagine the fun play is a Lidstrom slapshot wide, for Gretzky to recover and shovel to a blitzing Orr.

I'd put Maurice Richard there for the clutch goal!

Reactions: mrhockey193195

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Rocket's got the shot/possession/garbage collection skill down.

Misses something in playmaking and in post-1970 games.

SovietWings

Feb 1, 2017
Pardubice
Is it really necessary to pull a goalie with this lineup?:) Anyway my first ideas were Jagr, Forsberg or Coffey (not quite extra attacker ;) ).

But the question is who is the team defending the lead and able to do so? You need some evil to manage that:
Messier-Clarke-Bure (for breakaways)
Pronger-Stevens
Roy

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Is it really necessary to pull a goalie with this lineup?:) Anyway my first ideas were Jagr, Forsberg or Coffey (not quite extra attacker ;) ).

But the question is who is the team defending the lead and able to do so? You need some evil to manage that:
Messier-Clarke-Bure (for breakaways)
Pronger-Stevens
Roy
Maybe Keon as the requisite speedy guy?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Yanic Perrault, in case there is a faceoff to be won. The other 5 should be able to take care of the whole scoring a goal thing.

Good point on faceoffs - Neither Gretzky nor Lemieux was great at them. Another point in favor of Phil Esposito. Messier and Sakic could work too.

So I'll say Espo for his garbage goal scoring and faceoff ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad