Post-Game Talk: 1/9/18 | Canucks 1 at Caps 3 | You got the DUD!!!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Uh, I'm pretty sure he was referring to Gillis's drafting having no direction. And by drafting direction I'm assuming he meant selecting players that are good instead of all the trash that Gillis actually drafted.

I'm not going to defend Gillis' draft because it wasn't good, but he also wasn't drafting in the top 5 of every round.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is a refreshing view compared to the "every player on this team is absolutely awful and terrible except for Tanev, Boeser and Horvat" The Canucks don't have a enough high end talent to compete with the top lines in the league. A lot of the players on this team would do fine playing lesser roles on a team with a better core.
The Gillis scouting overhaul was too show but it looks pretty solid now, in fact, so solid that. Benning is leaching off that to save his job. Even Jim's best pick, Boeser, was not Jim's work but done by two of Gillis' recent scouting additions. It took too long but Gillis' work is paying dividends from the team.

Reactions: racerjoe

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
I'm not going to defend Gillis' draft because it wasn't good, but he also wasn't drafting in the top 5 of every round.

Even if you take away Benning's top 10 picks, thus also taking away this supposed advantage that Benning had, Benning's draft record will likely still be significantly better than Gillis's draft record.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Even if you take away Benning's top 10 picks, thus also taking away this supposed advantage that Benning had, Benning's draft record will likely still be significantly better than Gillis's draft record.

Except much of it isn't his draft record. He's had minimal impact on the scouting staff. Gillis era's last draft

Ehlers
McCann
Demko
Forsling
(Whatever for Tryamkin)

Pretty f***ing good draft Gillis left us with. Whatever started going right started going right before Jim got here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Okay, take away his top picks, we are left with:

Lockwood - likely not going to have an impact when he's having shoulder issues before he even sniffs pro.
Gaudette - He is definitely good
Demko - Tracking to be really good
Lind - Looking good, but again, he's basically a 1st round pick (33 overall)
Gadjovich - looks decent
DiPietro - looks decent
Rest of 2017 draft - to early to really tell, but not many players drafted in 2017 are absolute busts...for any team so no point evaluating.
McCann - traded
Tryamkin - bolted
Forsling - Traded
Candella - probably not much there
Abols - probably not much there
Stukel - probably not much there
McKenzie - probably not much there
Everyone else - probably not much there worth getting excited about

Looks amazing...and Benning still had the benefit of drafting in the top of each round.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Looks amazing...and Benning still had the benefit of drafting in the top of each round.

Sorry you're wrong. How does Benning have an advantage if you don't count his top 10 picks? Gillis still has his late first rounders and Benning has his high second rounders. It's actually Gillis that has the advantage with the higher picks and also one extra pick in each draft.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
No real need to have a drafting debate between Gillis and Benning.

While Benning is worse than Gillis at every other aspect of being a GM, his drafting is better than Gillis. Not a real high bar either. During the Gillis tenure, the Vancouver Canucks had the worst drafting in the entire NHL. It is a proven statistical fact. Not a single NHL team put less draft picks into the NHL from those drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad