GDT: 1/9/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Buffalo VS Tampa Bay

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Deadly for Tampa who will give up more shorties with a bad stamkos pass to hedman who will jumble the puck at the blue line and create a breakaway for the other team.

Hedman is struggling on the PP, needs some time to get his head straight.

Funny when Stralman flubbing the puck directly led to the Buf goal. :laugh:

Not hating on Stralman though, the dude has been better than advertised.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Meh, the PP is 3/19 since TKO has been more/less the first unit, and they scored a 4th goal just as a PP was expiring. I think TKO+S was put together just last game, so they've gone 2/10, which is fine. Against Buffalo they didn't look as downright lethal, but they didn't look nearly as bad as the old perimeter PP that couldn't set up either. They had some pressure and some chances. The shorty they gave up is probably going to go down as Stralman's worst play of the year and had very little to do with the actual PP. I sincerely doubt the best move right now is to go back to the old PP units, which resulted in an absolutely corpse of a PP for about a month. An 0 for 4 night vs. the hottest goalie we've seen all year isn't a reason to make a switch.

Cooper's also finally using the units more evenly, so we're seeing Drouin do a lot of good things on second. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I wouldn't mind seeing Connolly back on that unit for his shot.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Meh, the PP is 3/19 since TKO has been more/less the first unit, and they scored a 4th goal just as a PP was expiring. I think TKO+S was put together just last game, so they've gone 2/10, which is fine. Against Buffalo they didn't look as downright lethal, but they didn't look nearly as bad as the old perimeter PP that couldn't set up either. They had some pressure and some chances. The shorty they gave up is probably going to go down as Stralman's worst play of the year and had very little to do with the actual PP. I sincerely doubt the best move right now is to go back to the old PP units, which resulted in an absolutely corpse of a PP for about a month. An 0 for 4 night vs. the hottest goalie we've seen all year isn't a reason to make a switch.

Cooper's also finally using the units more evenly, so we're seeing Drouin do a lot of good things on second. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I wouldn't mind seeing Connolly back on that unit for his shot.

We have the talent to put together two strong units, and rather them be even, and with the amount of time. But the issue has not been the personnel, it is the execution, the pass pass pass routine needs to stop, just shoot on goal.

Im glad some of our core guys stepped up last night, cant rely on TKO every game. Have to balance things out, top 3 lines had all similar ES time, and that is the way it should be 5 on 5, and even on the PP. too much talent on this team you cannot sideline anyone really.

As per Connolly, it is not crazy, we need a guy who can shoot on that 2nd unit, let Cally do his thing and clean up around the net. It's about getting more shots on goal or at least towards the net.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We have the talent to put together two strong units, and rather them be even, and with the amount of time. But the issue has not been the personnel, it is the execution, the pass pass pass routine needs to stop, just shoot on goal.

Im glad some of our core guys stepped up last night, cant rely on TKO every game. Have to balance things out, top 3 lines had all similar ES time, and that is the way it should be 5 on 5, and even on the PP. too much talent on this team you cannot sideline anyone really.

As per Connolly, it is not crazy, we need a guy who can shoot on that 2nd unit, let Cally do his thing and clean up around the net. It's about getting more shots on goal or at least towards the net.

I think shooting is only part of it. You need those shots to come from dangerous areas, and you have to mix it up. What I like about TKO is they'll go for passes through the middle, and into the middle. Last night, those were broken up a little bit --if there's one thing Buffalo can do, it's clog. I'm okay with that, because with the amount of talent these guys have, those passes will get through enough to give us dangerous chances. If I remember correctly, last night's passing wasn't nearly as perimeter-based. The bigger issue they had was zone entry, but that's not really something to worry about with those three. Kuch just had a rare off night, IMO.

Flip, in particular, has to be the guy to make more dangerous passes if he wants to be a first unit guy again. He made them last year. This year he defers to Hedman way too much, who then dishes to Stamkos. TKO, on the other hand, sooner or later tries to force the puck down your throat. It's riskier play-by-play, but in the long term I think you score a lot more goals that way. And Palat's going to win possession back more often than he should the times the pass gets broken up.

Klutch86

Dec 27, 2014
Such a joke that there isn't even a hearing for Myers after he blatantly targeted and hit Paquette in the head.

Someone got speared in the last game against the caps last season and there wasn't a fine for that either. Don't remember who

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Such a joke that there isn't even a hearing for Myers after he blatantly targeted and hit Paquette in the head.

Someone got speared in the last game against the caps last season and there wasn't a fine for that either. Don't remember who

There would have been had Packy not been fine.

The only time there's a mandatory review is when it's a match penalty.

In that case it was just an illegal check to the head, which was probably looked at and decided against acting on.

I guarantee you the guy got a phone call and was told "dont do it again".

EDIT: Just read about this a bit more, and apparently he might still be suspended. Most suspensions only come on weekdays, and considering he's been suspended twice in the past for illegal hits....

Myers is going to end up getting a massive suspension sooner rather than later considering he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad