GDT: 1/9/14 "Slug It Out" - Panthers VS Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Toronto gets blown out again and Detroit lays an egg in SJ. If we continue to gain ground this will be one wild ride to the end.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The Panthers have a good chance at getting 4 points in the next upcoming 2 games.

Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
All I know is, we're going to get ripped apart by a team like the Sharks.

Going to the rest of the games in January @ the BB&T. That game might get ugly.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Basically the team needs to get to the break trending upward. I think we have 20+ days off with only 2 players missing (probably not for the duration). Plenty if time for training, and practice and for Horachek to get the game plan for the final push. Work the PP every day and get it to at least mediocre levels. I still say we have a chance with all these teams ahead of us floundering. Plus our match-ups are much more forgiving than the 1st half.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
didn't see anyone else post this so...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26489

under the definition of disallowed goals:

that is the rule and it sure looked to me like huby gave enroth a little push. i think that was the right call. the whistle on the 2nd goal was unfortunate but as was explained on the sabres broadcast (think the refe's mic was out), the ref blew the play dead when he became aware kulikov was in distress. he took his eye off the play and spotted kulikov still down so he blew the whistle, which is what he's supposed to do. so in terms of the whistle, we have only kulikov to blame. he clearly wasn't injured as he didn't miss a shift. had he gotten up off his duff and made an effort to get back to the bench, play would've continued and the goal would've counted. the missed high stick was awful, however.

Can't disagree more!
There are two refs on the ice at all times. There is usually a ref positioned behind the net on the opposite side of play(in the corner),where that said ref can see the entire play, when a face-off is being taken and that ref should've seen Kulikov go down. He ignored Kuli(as per usual) and let the play continue. THEN another ref who states " He didn't see Kulikov on the ice until Boyes is about to score" decides to blow the play dead as soon as Boyes takes a shot. CRAP! He should've allowed the play to continue until Buffalo touches the puck which in turn would've kept play going and the goal would've stood. Let's not forget the high stick that caused all this and was never called, AGAIN! Kuli was also hurt and I'm sure he wasn't just wasting time sitting on his "duff" because he wanted to pout about the non-call high stick. It doesn't feel good to get a stick to the face, so give him some credit.
Let's go to the shootout... Huberdeau scored, period! The puck crossed the line before he "pushed" anything into the net and it should've stood. If you watch the replay, he really didn't "push" anything. He took a shot and his stick got stuck in Enroth,who threw Huberdeau's stick after he scored. It was a goal! Enroth was deep in his net and the puck and Enroth both crossed the goal line which is A GOAL!

All in all, yes we won the game but those referees are an embarrassment to the game and need some corrective action taken immediately. If this were Pitt,Chi,Det,NYR or TO playing then things would've gone differently because those are the golden teams of the NHL and this nonsense wouldn't be allowed to stand, but because it's the Panthers and the worst team in the league, Buffalo, no one made a big deal. It's a disgrace to the game and needs to be addressed. Those referees need to be fined/suspended and the people who run the "War Room" in TO need corrective action taken as well. I'm tired of the Panthers being overlooked against bad officiating because it happens ALL THE TIME! Jimmy Hayes gets chopped by Bygflien (butchered his name) on a break away and NO CALL! Last season, Kopecky gets a cheap shot to the head by Rich Nash, no surprise, NOTHING HAPPENED! It needs to stop.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
holy posts, quite good effort but quite huge defensive mistakes again, Timmy was sharp tho.

dont really get ref hate here, i thought every one of those calls were good

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I'm tired of the Panthers being overlooked against bad officiating because it happens ALL THE TIME! Jimmy Hayes gets chopped by Bygflien (butchered his name) on a break away and NO CALL!

There was a delayed call on the Hayes breakaway he scored so the delayed penalty (probably shot) was not called.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
We have to earn respect by smart drafting and developing winners. Part of the reason why we get no attention or respect is because we have no history of doing those things. We start winning; we'll earn the respect.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Starting to think Gilbert and Boyes should be re-signed. They aren't game changers by any means, but both are pretty solid vets that have been effective for us.

Gilbert is a decent top 4-6 guy and Boyes is a good second/third line winger (also money in the shootout). I'd sign them both for another 2 years at 1.5-2 mill per.

rockit2112

Jul 8, 2013
Starting to think Gilbert and Boyes should be re-signed. They aren't game changers by any means, but both are pretty solid vets that have been effective for us.

Gilbert is a decent top 4-6 guy and Boyes is a good second/third line winger (also money in the shootout). I'd sign them both for another 2 years at 1.5-2 mill per.

I think Boyes has much more value to us as a trade chip. Obviously depends on how we're looking in the playoff race come March, but if Tallon and Viola are really going to improve the team in the offseason it could make Boyes expendable.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida

On Gilbert, Im sure we can find a better alternative in FA. I know he has improved A LOT since the beginning of the season, but he still looks... idk confused maybe?.. on lots of occasions.
Boyes is, for some reason, growing on me. Im really starting to like his game and character, and I wouldn't mind having him signed for another season or two for a 2nd line role

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
I think Boyes has much more value to us as a trade chip. Obviously depends on how we're looking in the playoff race come March, but if Tallon and Viola are really going to improve the team in the offseason it could make Boyes expendable.
I disagree Boyes can give us himself a bunch of wins because of his shootout prowess. I would really like to see them resign him.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How the hell...... Does Horacehuk not change up the PP????? It's so maddening. It seems the only way we'll get a new PP out there is if Fleishmann gets injured

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
How the hell...... Does Horacehuk not change up the PP????? It's so maddening. It seems the only way we'll get a new PP out there is if Fleishmann gets injured

Agree and he can't be so complacent when we lose call after call after call...he need to be a squeaky wheel...

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida
There was a delayed call on the Hayes breakaway he scored so the delayed penalty (probably shot) was not called.

It's wasn't enough, regardless of him scoring or not. That was a blatant attempt to injure Hayes because Hayes had a breakaway and the Panthers were winning. I'm not sure it was personal, but he chopped Hayes like he's chopping wood and it's unacceptable. If it were against Crosby,Toews,Kane,Ovy, or Malkin, the entire team would've fought Bufglien and Buf would've had a fine to pay or face suspension. Heck, remember Winchester's suspension? Three games for an accidental hit to the head, yet Nash and Bufglien got nothing for their INTENTIONAL cheap shots.

Yes, respect and our lack of success plays a part but it's not right and shouldn't be allowed. Those things, however minuscule, play a part in our success or failure. What would've happened if the shooter after Huberdeau scored and Boyes missed? We would've lost although Huberdeau scored. It's not right and things need to change. It seems as though the refs are blatantly trying to make us lose.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Toronto gets blown out again and Detroit lays an egg in SJ. If we continue to gain ground this will be one wild ride to the end.

Yep, but I'm not very convinced of this team's ability to play consistent enough hockey to pull it through. Like after that five game winning streak they lost the next 3 games.

The inability of the lines other than the killer B's to contribute consistently and the lack of a PP is going to continue to hurt the rest of the season like it has so far.

Le sigh. Really like to watch them play but not so optimistic anymore:cry:

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003

i agree! boyes adds to this team and i think we can sign him to a decent contract if we do it before the deadline. gilbert has looked solid to me and he's playing big minutes. i too think he can be resigned reasonably and would add to our depth next year.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
i agree! boyes adds to this team and i think we can sign him to a decent contract if we do it before the deadline. gilbert has looked solid to me and he's playing big minutes. i too think he can be resigned reasonably and would add to our depth next year.

Question is where are you going to put them while also adding FA's and possibly 1 or 2 more young guys.

The Panthers are still not a very good team at this point. So do you keep or replace and improve.

Barkov, Bjudstad, and Huberdeau are a given. Gomez I figure is gone.

Can we move Fleischmann 4.5 mil, Upshall 3.5 mil, Kopecky 3 mil, Bergenheim 2.75 mil or Matthias 1.75 mil all with one more year remaining on their contracts.

Do we keep Goc, Barch, Hayes and Winchester.

Does Shore stay up or start in the AHL again.

That's 13 forwards without Boyes. To improve and add through FA we have to move some pieces.

What about Trochek and Howden are they ready to move up next year.

Bit of a log jam.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yep, but I'm not very convinced of this team's ability to play consistent enough hockey to pull it through. Like after that five game winning streak they lost the next 3 games.

The inability of the lines other than the killer B's to contribute consistently and the lack of a PP is going to continue to hurt the rest of the season like it has so far.

Le sigh. Really like to watch them play but not so optimistic anymore:cry:

If we improve the PP..........ever then we have a serious shot at the wildcard spot. We still have a fair amount of divisional games (13) and more than half are at home. The inability to score consistently can be cured if we get PP goals. Fix this and we will have a shot. Timmy was the main reason we won last night, he is also our x-factor. I'd be down for another year with him barring a serious injury. Hoping this will be a fun ride until the end of the season. WE CAN DO THIS!!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Heck, remember Winchester's suspension? Three games for an accidental hit to the head, yet Nash and Bufglien got nothing for their INTENTIONAL cheap shots.

Winchester jumped to reach the head, it was not accidental. You undermined your point greatly by saying that.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
If we improve the PP..........ever then we have a serious shot at the wildcard spot. We still have a fair amount of divisional games (13) and more than half are at home. The inability to score consistently can be cured if we get PP goals. Fix this and we will have a shot. Timmy was the main reason we won last night, he is also our x-factor. I'd be down for another year with him barring a serious injury. Hoping this will be a fun ride until the end of the season. WE CAN DO THIS!!

I agree completely. A working PP would make things so much easier. Now they have to play mistake free or mostly rely on TT to bail them out since they can't score consistently. Not to mention other teams clearly rather take a penalty than allow a scoring chance for us cos the PP sucks. They have zero respect for it and it shows.

PP as a threat would just make everything so much easier... can only hope they find a way to make it work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad