Post-Game Talk: 1/8/14 - Rangers defeat Hawks, 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertainAffinity*

I'm not saying they will flip a switch and suddenly become a defensive powerhouse.

I am saying we weren't really much different then, just more intensity.

Teams DO step up in the playoffs, you know. This is basically preseason for us.

I for one see no need to run ourselves ragged playing as if every game is a playoff game. They AREN'T playoff games.

Probably because every single team since the 80s Oilers that has played with a 'we'll save it for the playoffs' mentality, has got their ass kicked in the playoffs. :laugh:

I mean hell, last year we played amazing hockey all year and it STILL took a series and a half for the Hawks to get up to speed for playoff intensity.

I'd say that's a pretty good reason to establish good habits, accountability, and a pride of play during the regular season, rather than just waiting for a reason to care.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Actually I noticed a lot more teams who pour too much effort into the regular season going kerplooie in the playoffs than anything. The Detroits and Colorados and New Jerseys and Pittsburgs of the league just sort of did their thing while the St. Louises and Buffalos and other teams who basically were 100% all the time every time did nothing.

In any event since we're not playing really much different now than we were in the playoffs I find your concerns (after our first regulation loss in how many games while we sit at the top of the league) rather laughable. We aren't perfect, but we're still among the best in the league.

sky-is-falling.jpg

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I am hopeful we will figure out our defensive issues, but I can't agree with you about our play now compared to the playoffs. To me we look much different defensively and the PK.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Of course they are. There were a lot of close games that went Chicago's way during that streak. Last season was a legendary team. It would be very difficult to duplicate most of those stats, especially defensively. Like you have said, defense was a reason why they were so successful last season.

You make some good points about the team's all-around defense. The forwards have got to step it up. And the PK started out awful, but has gradually been improving. The good news is all the defensemen are back from last year. Keith is the top Norris candidate at this point. Seabrook looks great compared to some of his past seasons. And the Hawks have arguably the best second pairing in the league with Hammer and Oduya. The forwards have had some pretty bad games defensively, but when you have two-way players like Toews, Sharp, Hossa, and Saad, you know they have the talent to come close to last season's success.

I don't really see why you have to complain about something in every thread. It gets old really fast. There are problems that need to be fixed, but this is still one of the best teams in the league, and they're still one of the favorites to win the Stanley Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:

CertainAffinity*

Of course they are. There were a lot of close games that went Chicago's way during that streak. Last season was a legendary team. It would be very difficult to duplicate most of those stats, especially defensively. Like you have said, defense was a reason why they were so successful last season.

This makes no sense. We have essentially the same roster, the same talent. Team defense isn't ethereal magic or luck, that comes and goes. It's basic hockey fundamentals, effort and execution. There is every reason that this team can be just as effective on team defense as they were last year.

As far as one goal games. That stat would be harder to reproduce because, yes, luck is a factor. However, luck is not the reason we've gone from 1st in the league in one-goal games to 22ND. That is a by product of the fact that this team cannot protect a lead, and indeed, is a threat to lose ANY game that they do not score 5 or more goals in.

I don't really see why you have to complain about something in every thread. It gets old really fast. There are problems that need to be fixed, but this is still one of the best teams in the league.

Why do people have to complain about Handzus in every thread?

People are passionate about different issues afflicting the team.

Also, some people just have different mindsets. Some here, I'm sure, are happy just to enjoy the regular season and the success we have.

I view the regular season as preparation for the playoffs, and I want to see the Hawks have success in the playoffs. It makes sense that those people who don't care too much about that see no reason to point out the issues that will come to bear come the second season.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
This makes no sense. We have essentially the same roster, the same talent. Team defense isn't ethereal magic or luck, that comes and goes. It's basic hockey fundamentals, effort and execution. There is every reason that this team can be just as effective on team defense as they were last year.

As far as one goal games. That stat would be harder to reproduce because, yes, luck is a factor. However, luck is not the reason we've gone from 1st in the league in one-goal games to 22ND. That is a by product of the fact that this team cannot protect a lead, and indeed, is a threat to lose ANY game that they do not score 5 or more goals in.

Why do people have to complain about Handzus in every thread?

People are passionate about different issues afflicting the team.

Also, some people just have different mindsets. Some here, I'm sure, are happy just to enjoy the regular season and the success we have.

I view the regular season as preparation for the playoffs, and I want to see the Hawks have success in the playoffs. It makes sense that those people who don't care too much about that see no reason to point out the issues that will come to bear come the second season.

I didn't say it was impossible to duplicate last season's defense. I said it would be difficult to duplicate it.

My whole point was that they can duplicate it, but it's idiotic to expect them to lead the league in every damn stat. I think they will improve defensively, much like the PK is starting to turn around.

Like you said, the talent is there, but the effort isn't on some nights.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I didn't say it was impossible to duplicate last season's defense. I said it would be difficult to duplicate it.

My whole point was that they can duplicate it, but it's idiotic to expect them to lead the league in every damn stat. I think they will improve defensively, much like the PK is starting to turn around.

Like you said, the talent is there, but the effort isn't on some nights.

Because it's farkin January. They're on cruise control.

I am concerned about a couple of things about the Hawks but the idea they aren't playing their systems good enough in January is not one of them.

Truth is, if the PK was playing even average the Hawks would probably be doing BETTER than they did last year.

It's pretty clear there are people here, and in this very thread, who don't even remotely understand there's a difference between regular season and playoffs.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Toews Hands on the goal were perfect. Krüger now gets the chance to be the #2 C again. Nothing wrong with that. He had a good game and that assist was well deserved

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Toews Hands on the goal were perfect. Krüger now gets the chance to be the #2 C again. Nothing wrong with that. He had a good game and that assist was well deserved

You can go change your pants now.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Come off it. If Bollig doesn't score that softie, that routine pass gets forgotten the next shift. At least it was to a winger going to the net. Kruger needs to get the puck forward much more often, not lateral or not backwards, that he does habitually.... and Q's concerned about his finish, well .... duh!

I'm hopeful that the only reason Pirri has not been called up, is because he isn't healthy currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad