1/7th through the season, Jaroslav Halak leads the NHL in sv%

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
HALAK.jpg

Seems to be the start of a nice bounce back season for him, coming out of Doug Weight's circus.

Bit of a surprise considering he was signed as a bargain bin backup.

Probably won't keep it up if history is any indication. Fun to watch so far though.

Also is he the shortest goalie in the NHL now since Enroth is gone?

Last edited:
Reactions: LordNeverLose

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Buffalo got booed off the ice after the first game of the year where halak shut us out and I was telling everyone to relax because he went all 2010 on us.

He’s been excellent.

That being said backups tend to always lead in GAS and percentage because of how few games they play (carter Hutton) etc

Halak has played a decent amount but I don’t consider a goalie leading truly unless they play at least half a seasonish, but that’s me.

I think for the rules it’s like if they play 30 percent of a season it counts? Or around there. Not exactly sure.

Boston plays a good style defensively, Cassidy should get credit their goalies always tend to do well whether it’s Rask Kuhdobin or halak.

Good for him though he’s been good.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
coming out of Doug Weight's circus.
This is the most important part of all this. I was always a big fan of Jaro, but I'm not even sure prime Hasek would do well under Dougie Weight.

Only thing to consider is he's probably the streakiest goalie in the whole NHL. He'd go like 10 starts with a 0.95 GAA and .940 SV% and then 10 starts with a 4.50 GAA and a .870 SV%

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
If you ask me Halak has only continued his excellent play from last season, his numbers didn't show it but I'd say no other goalie in the league was hung out to dry on a regular basis like he was with the Islanders.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The main thing with Jaro is you need a coach that knows how to use him. He's not the type you can run out there for 10-20 starts in a row, and certainly not both games of a back to back. The one thing though is you will know rather quickly if he's going to be "on" that night or if it's going to be a long one.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
When he went to the Islanders, all he did his first season was set the franchise record for wins. It was all downhill from there. Change of scenery can be good. Let's see how long he can keep it going.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
(Someone fire up the sample size song).

Out of that leaderboard, only Vasilevskiy has a sporting chance of leading his category by season end (though I think MacKinnon will be close).

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I was expecting to see a bounce back season from him after being left hanging by the Islanders.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Before he signed with the isles I wanted him and when we finally got him I was ecstatic. He has peaks and valleys. At times he looks unstoppable and can Make the most ridiculous saves when he’s locked in and then other times he lets in softness and makes boneheaded plays while playing the puck.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Wanted the Jets to pick him up instead of Steve Mason... would've been too good of a pickup.

But I always believed he was good, always was an underrated goalie. People seem to just forget about him for some reason.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Halak has always had the ability to put up absolutely elite stretches of play when he gets on a hot streak. The problem is, he's obviously not always on a hot streak. And he can also go extremely cold and turn into a complete sieve.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
member when halak was playing like the best player in the world for montreal in the playoffs?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Before he signed with the isles I wanted him and when we finally got him I was ecstatic. He has peaks and valleys. At times he looks unstoppable and can Make the most ridiculous saves when he’s locked in and then other times he lets in softness and makes boneheaded plays while playing the puck.

To be fair that statement is true for like 90% of all goalies to ever play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad