Pre-Game Talk: (1/6-1/11)Week of the divisional sandwich (Chi, Ott, Dal)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Interesting week ahead...We get to play against a team that dominated us last week, and eastern team and a Dallas team that's been hot lately. I think we come out of the week with 4 of 6 points (OT Win against Chi, Win against Ott, loss against Dal)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Ahh gotcha, I don't like how you have to add the poll after posting the thread.

I'm going bold, 4 points. I actually think they win in Chicago tomorrow, they are due and having just played Chicago helps their cause. I think they can win one of the other two at home this week too.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Ahh gotcha, I don't like how you have to add the poll after posting the thread.

I'm going bold, 4 points. I actually think they win in Chicago tomorrow, they are due and having just played Chicago helps their cause. I think they can win one of the other two at home this week too.

Yeah same with me, like I put in the OP, I think we beat Chi and Ott, lose to Dal because they're hot right now.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Hoping for either 0-3 or 3-0. Likely something in the middle.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I think the Avs will sneak out a shoot out win, and probably a loss in OT. 3 out of 6 points. But I concur with the 3-0 or 0-3 method.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hoping for either 0-3 or 3-0. Likely something in the middle.

ditto.

3-0, and were 18-16-8, and all of a sudden probably on 5-6 points out of a playoff spot.

0-3, and were 15-19-8, and looking at a top 5 pick with any chance/hope of playoffs being over.

I really hope one of those two happen. Unfortunately I really expect us to go 1-1-1.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Get blown out by Chicago, barely win against the Sens - maybe in OT, and beat Dallas in a high scoring game (6-4).

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:

- Roy jokes that he thought about pulling Varly on Tuesday so he wouldn't break his record. Varly was in the zone. He played like that in Game 3 in Minnesota last year. That was an important win and he stole a win from them.
- Wants to say his team is taking strides, but wants to take it one game at a time. They're back at even in the standings, and they think they need 96 points to get in the playoffs. He likes the way they've been playing defensively. They gave up a lot of shots last game, but Chicago is a good example for the Avs, that they shoot from everywhere and drive the net. They're not afraid to put pucks on net and the Avs need to take notice.
- Roy never had cramping problems.
- At home, it's a matter of confidence, especially around the net. If you look at Edmonton game, it was a 1-1 game, they had chances to blow it open and couldn't. Same thing with Columbus. They didn't have a good start against Columbus, but did against Edmonton. They aren't scoring goals at key moments at home.
- MacKinnon is no different than Roy when he was a young kid, it was an up and down season. In second year, you expect so much from yourself, but you lose the big picture of playing a simple game, using your teammates, driving the net. When you stop scoring, you question yourself. He's sure MacK had high expectations for himself. When things don't start like you hope, your confidence is affecting. His last game was one of his best games. Skating, moving the puck well. Lately, he's been blocking shots.
- They're not worried about Berra right now, they're worried about Varly. Berra will play a game, but they don't know when. They have a plan in place for the road trip. His plan is to play someone on the back to back games, but he won't say who.

More after the break.

- Roy hasn't seen the video of Yeo yesterday. It's hard for him to comment on that, he doesn't have all the facts, but at same time Wild had a lot of expectations. After the first two games, Roy thought they'd be top of the league. He understands the frustration. Roy says when you decide to have a partnership, he'd rather try to talk and communicate with players and that's how he likes to do it.
- He doesn't know if he would call Yeo's reaction Old school. At some point you have to create a spark. He's sure there's been other meetings before and every coach has different approaches. Nobody loves a slump.
- Roy doesn't remember his coaches going off. Hartley left it up to the players. They had a strong room back then with veterans. Hartley felt he wanted to have a good relationship with the vets, and Hartley knew they hated to lose. They were thinking about preparing themselves for the playoffs all the time with those teams. Burns was tough with the players in his days. He remembers one time in the room, they wanted Mathieu Schneider to get going, and did some show in the room to do that (didn't quite understand that).
- Varly likes to focus on himself, doesn't call out his teammates. Varly believes he can stop every puck. They have players that will step up in the room if there's a bad period.
- He doesn't know why NHL coaches have shorter life spans. He doesn't know the relationship with Carlyle and the players, owners, GM's, etc. Maybe they argued on a lot of things. Carlyle was hired by a different GM and maybe they just want their guy. That's how the business works. He likes to think if you have an open relationship, you'll be fine. Lots of pressure to make playoffs.
- He thinks, more than ever, the commitment from teams, with salary cap, is even more important. When you play every other night, you have to take care of yourself off the ice too.
- Last year, they missed Tanguay. In the playoffs, they were unlucky with injuries. He's playing really well for them, probably their most consistent. His IQ is really good, he's moving the puck good, and guys enjoy playing with him.
- They asked him about Randy Johnson because he was in Montreal when Roy started. Roy jokes that he would only enter the box to face Johnson with his goalie equipment on. Roy mentions the bird hitting incident. Larry Walker hung out a lot with them when they were in Denver.

Second half of the interview was stupid.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah it was really disappointing they asked him about Yeo and Carlyle, like he cares. Like they ran out of questions or something. Could ask him about trades, prospects, anything else but no.

On the Berra question he made it sound like they really don't have plans to play him much, if ever.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No one will take Berra off Avs hands, not even for a very late round pick

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think the Berra experiment is pretty much over. He might get a few more games this year, but I'd be surprised if he is an Av next year.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Thanks, Mars.

Second half of the interview was stupid.

Not sure why they wanted that many opinions from Roy on things he has nothing to do with. Oh well.

Hoping for a contract termination with Berra if possible. Sucks cause he seems like a good guy but man he's been shaky.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks, Mars!
Speaking of Tangay and his IQ. There are very few players i've ever seen with higher hockey IQ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad