GDT: 1/4 - Stars @ Aeros - 7:05 PM CT - AHL Live/KNTH/CSN Houston (Jan. 5 at noon)

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think he'll work at either center or on the wing. He spent some time at both positions during his tenure with the Sea Dogs and played very well in both spots. At this early stage in his career he may struggle less on the wing, for the reasons you mentioned above. The kid may not be the fastest skater out there, but he never has been. His game has always been about seeing the ice in a way most other players don't and making the great players around him even greater than they are on their own. When you combine that skill with his incredible work ethic and his team first mentality you're left with someone who may not be a speed demon, but is someone that other teams have a hard time playing against, and who is someone that has the ability to put the puck in the net on every shift. Not to mention I have watched him go from someone who was a purely offensive player his first season in St. John to a player who grew into a force from one end of the ice to the other. He has the ability to read the ice both in the offensive zone as well as in his own end and end up right where he needs to be to make a key interception or send a teammate out on a breakaway. I've got a lot of faith in Phillips regardless of whether he finds a role as a center or winger, and I think everyone will end up being pretty happy with that pick for years to come. I'd almost like to see him find a spot on the wing with Granlund and Coyle, as what he and Coyle did together last season was ridiculous. Those two were scoring highlight reel goals night in and night out and it seemed every time one scored it was the other setting it up with an absolutely beautiful feed.

His hands, vision, and creativity are definitely noticeable. Needs to mature physically to handle the cycle game better (that can be said for almost all young prospects). With the lockout over, I expect to see him in the top 6 and maybe center the first PP.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Thing to remember with our young guys is just how young they are. Philips started the season as a 19 year old, living 40 hours from home in a foreign country on his own--cant even go in a restaurant and buy a beer, lol.

Bulmer, from Western Canada to Houston Texas, a totally different world, the Euros like Larrson from Europe to the US, big cultural shock. Agreed some adapt quicker and easier than others, thats why the AHL is such a great place for all our young guys to develop to both on-ice play and off ice issues.

Not suprising that Zucker has adjusted easier. Not withstanding the fact he is a great player but he is American from Las Vegas I think and had the opportunity to play 6 games of pro last year which he obviously used as a springboard to this year.

I think our prospects are progressing nicely, its along path !

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
No kidding. All of the legitimate prospects in Houston are ~20 years old. They're progressing well right now. The talk of the AHL around here is Schultz and Silfverberg (for whatever reason) and both have two years on the Wild prospects. They have some time to get to where they need to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad