GDT: 1/31/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Columbus VS Tampa Bay

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
We've won two "nice" games in a row now, but it's nothing we should view as significant in the bigger picture... They each had their back up playing and Bishop was locked in. That's not going to happen all the time, and we didn't blow either team completely off the ice.

I just hope Yzerman doesn't view this last two games as a sign that all is well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Witkowski looked really solid again to me. Quick, simple decisions. Pretty much what you want out of a guy in his role.

I was really impressed with his decision making. There was a 3-2 (that due to the early pass at the blue line essentially turned into a 2-1), and Wit just took out the pass and gave Bishop the shot. It's not the "best" play, but it was the smart play that too often guys fail to do when trying to make the best play. Another is when the puck exited the zone and was loose for a second - he didn't press and try to fight for it, which must have been tempted, but instead stayed back and made a solid defensive play. Him getting to the puck and getting it past the BJ was probably 50:50, but him staying in position was the smarter play there.

Nothing that'll show up on the highlight reel, but for a guy who is probably at best a 3rd pairing guy, that's the exact decision-making I want to see from him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We've won two "nice" games in a row now, but it's nothing we should view as significant in the bigger picture... They each had their back up playing and Bishop was locked in. That's not going to happen all the time, and we didn't blow either team completely off the ice.

I just hope Yzerman doesn't view this last two games as a sign that all is well.

Not sure what you are asking for? Some of our core guys played a full 60 mins, and that is why we won this game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure what you are asking for? Some of our core guys played a full 60 mins, and that is why we won this game.

With the level of parity in the NHL, I think the proverbial "60 minute game" is as close to dead as can be. You just don't see it very often these days, especially in the regular season. Even the best teams in the league get put on their heels for long stretches, regardless of opponent.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With the level of parity in the NHL, I think the proverbial "60 minute game" is as close to dead as can be. You just don't see it very often these days, especially in the regular season. Even the best teams in the league get put on their heels for long stretches, regardless of opponent.

It's very difficult for every player or a team as a whole to play a full 60 min game, but if they are playing close to that, or at least 90% of their shifts are very good, then the results are usually good. Bishop for an example kept us in this game, and then we finally got the scoring going towards the end, but we had a lot of chances as well. We had a lot of bad luck this game with the puck, we got robbed multiple times, and we could of scored at least double the amount of goals. I'm overall happy with the game, and Columbus is not exactly a bottom dwelling team.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

Not true at all. We did blow both teams out of the water. Dominated possession against both of them and frankly if not for our PP woes the score differential would have been even more in our favor. That was two very well played games all around for this team.

That's not to say I don't think they should add a piece or two, cause they should, but they destroyed both Detroit and Columbus, don't get it twisted.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not true at all. We did blow both teams out of the water. Dominated possession against both of them and frankly if not for our PP woes the score differential would have been even more in our favor. That was two very well played games all around for this team.

That's not to say I don't think they should add a piece or two, cause they should, but they destroyed both Detroit and Columbus, don't get it twisted.

Agreed. For about 75% of the Detroit game it was all Bolts. The Columbus game was a little more even but we still carried play. Could have easily ended 5-1 just like the Detroit game if Stamkos hits his shot and Cally scores on that breakaway.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Agreed. For about 75% of the Detroit game it was all Bolts. The Columbus game was a little more even but we still carried play. Could have easily ended 5-1 just like the Detroit game if Stamkos hits his shot and Cally scores on that breakaway.

The Columbus game was actually just as dominant. The eye test makes it seem a little less because TB had a lot of PPs and their power plays became big chances for Columbus. TB was a +15% in 5v5 possession which is huge.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Columbus game was actually just as dominant. The eye test makes it seem a little less because TB had a lot of PPs and their power plays became big chances for Columbus. TB was a +15% in 5v5 possession which is huge.

Columbus also didn't let us really "go to work" in the offensive zone, which sometimes makes it feel like we're struggling. Our passes weren't really connecting, but that had more to do with them playing well than us playing poorly, IMO. The short-handed chances, like you said, made it look worse than it really was. At 5on5 we were pretty clearly the better team.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
5 on 5 vs CBJ Corsi Events: 55/63-TBLCourtesy of war-on-ice.com
vnuDhcF.jpg

5 on 5 vs. DET Corsi Events: 49/55-TBL
g1SIZDO.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad