GDT: 1/30/15: SABRES (14-32-3) at CANUCKS (26-17-3) TV: NHLN-US, MSG-B, BELL - 10 PM ET

benosimo

Sep 16, 2013
5-2?

Looks like Matt couldn't...

tumblr_lqny9rAjKq1qlv7x6.gif

Hackett

(I know it wasn't his fault at all and he looked good...but it only works if we ignore that)

That's worse than Caruso's actual lines, and they're bad. Well played lol

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Makes sense. Not sure where all these rumors come from.

I certainly wouldn't move Myers.

Sabres are going to be one hell of a team in a few years. Look forward to watching them.

At least some of the rumors seem to be based in fact. For instance, it seems nearly certain Detroit has called about Myers, around last deadline and around the draft. Murray's said he's received some calls but that they didn't come close to what he'd see as an overpayment, which is what he said it'd take. So, he's not being shopped but the interest comes in anyhow, which he welcomes on any player. It sucks as a player to have your name out there as if you're being shopped when you aren't, which is why Murray goes out of his way to mention that he's not being shopped, but the upside is you never know where those phone calls lead. When one side offers players up you know certain pieces are on the table, maybe one day you make a different offer for one of those pieces.

Myers still doesn't and never will have that high-end hockey IQ that you need in a legit franchise defenseman but he's improved in all areas over the years. He's become a very good hockey player who can be mean in his zone and create with rushes and pinches. It gets tiresome trying to explain how he's actually good to people who just look at the box scores or buy into the narrative that he had some amazing rookie season (which in reality was a bit overrated) then has been all downhill since, so it's nice when an outsider sees him for what he is.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Avs fan, watching the game right now. Question for Sabres fans.

Myers looks outstanding. Why on earth would Murray even think about moving him?

He's not/doesn't. As both Murray and Sabres fans on HF have said ad infinitum: I guess he's not untouchable, but you'd have to blow us away with an offer.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Avs fan, watching the game right now. Question for Sabres fans.

Myers looks outstanding. Why on earth would Murray even think about moving him?

Cause it's not consistent. He'll look really good one week, than crap the bed for a few games.

Also, Murray isn't trying to move Myers. Murray doesn't know where the rumors are coming from.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Myers over 27 minutes to lead dmen
Girgensons over 23 to lead forwards

Can we say who has been the bright spot this year at each position? Sort of obvious and unquestionable.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Cause it's not consistent. He'll look really good one week, than crap the bed for a few games.

Also, Murray isn't trying to move Myers. Murray doesn't know where the rumors are coming from.

He's been pretty consistent for quite a while now.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Myers over 27 minutes to lead dmen
Girgensons over 23 to lead forwards

Can we say who has been the bright spot this year at each position? Sort of obvious and unquestionable.

10th league-wide at 25:13, playing more minutes and have less brainfarts per game, guys having a real nice season for a really bad team

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
10th league-wide at 25:13, playing more minutes and have less brainfarts per game, guys having a real nice season for a really bad team

Yet over on the Trade Board today one Wings fan called him a "Dumpster Fire," and another said he wouldn't give up a third for him. Heh...

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Yet over on the Trade Board today one Wings fan called him a "Dumpster Fire," and another said he wouldn't give up a third for him. Heh...

Honestly, Wings fans have been deluded by their success. Not that we don't have our share of deluded fans on these boards, but the post quality on the Sabres boards is much higher than on the Wings boards IMO.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Haven't been able to watch many sabres games this season but have heard great things about myers. Looking at his numbers, they're not great offensively. Is he becoming more of a shutdown dman or is he not getting opportunities to provide offense?

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Haven't been able to watch many sabres games this season but have heard great things about myers. Looking at his numbers, they're not great offensively. Is he becoming more of a shutdown dman or is he not getting opportunities to provide offense?

It's a bit of both. I think he's be at the point where he's a better defensive + possession player than an offensive producer, but that's due far more to improvement in the former than regression in the latter. His huge rookie numbers do seem like an aberration but he's better offensively than his numbers since then indicate. This team's offense has been historically brutal the past two seasons. The couple seasons before that I assume were on the wrong side of mediocre. Going up against top competition with the responsibilities of a #1 d-man while playing with guys who suck at possession and generating offense puts him in a tough position. He doesn't see the ice the way the big time offensive guys do, but I think he has a lot more in him offensively if he's ever in a favorable situation.

A big influence on the numbers of defensemen is the powerplay. Ours has been total **** for years, which will keep anyone's numbers down (see Ehrhoff's four seasons before joining the Sabres vs. his three seasons here). Myers also isn't himself a great powerplay guy.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
It's a bit of both. I think he's be at the point where he's a better defensive + possession player than an offensive producer, but that's due far more to improvement in the former than regression in the latter. His huge rookie numbers do seem like an aberration but he's better offensively than his numbers since then indicate. This team's offense has been historically brutal the past two seasons. The couple seasons before that I assume were on the wrong side of mediocre. Going up against top competition with the responsibilities of a #1 d-man while playing with guys who suck at possession and generating offense puts him in a tough position. He doesn't see the ice the way the big time offensive guys do, but I think he has a lot more in him offensively if he's ever in a favorable situation.

A big influence on the numbers of defensemen is the powerplay. Ours has been total **** for years, which will keep anyone's numbers down (see Ehrhoff's four seasons before joining the Sabres vs. his three seasons here). Myers also isn't himself a great powerplay guy.

Great feedback, thanks. Glad he is playing well for you guys. Now trade Stafford and Stewart to the bruins but retain half their salaries.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Great feedback, thanks. Glad he is playing well for you guys. Now trade Stafford and Stewart to the bruins but retain half their salaries.

I'd be on board with doing that, but I'm not sure what the deal would be. Something around Subban probably makes the most sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad