GDT: 1/27/16 - 7:00PM EDT - Toronto VS Tampa Bay

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
In some ways, a win like this is better than a 5-3 win because we just don't get 1-0 shutouts. We are typically good for a boneheaded goal against each game. Glad to see they kept it together and finished out January strong. What were we, 8-2-0 this month, right?

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
In some ways, a win like this is better than a 5-3 win because we just don't get 1-0 shutouts. We are typically good for a boneheaded goal against each game. Glad to see they kept it together and finished out January strong. What were we, 8-2-0 this month, right?

9-2 I think

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
great shut out by vasi

first 5 minutes was like we were on cruise control and that was a concern then we simply went into the lightning mode we love and hope for each game for rest of first

then we went to prevent and went into cruise control again

to me very concerning totally disappointed by them tonight but good time for a break recharge the batteries

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
CF9blnu.jpg

"Hey guys, whatcha talking bout?"

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Vasi looked great! Nice to finally have steady goaltending. When I started watching we had Roloson and Garon. :p

When I started watching we had Puppa. Then his back finally gave out from carrying the team, literally. Well the back issues literally. The clowns that followed until we got Khabibulin made Lindback look good.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
When I started watching we had Puppa. Then his back finally gave out from carrying the team, literally. Well the back issues literally. The clowns that followed until we got Khabibulin made Lindback look good.

What a train wreak finding a goalie after khabibulin

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cally is never going to score another goal

Kinda hard to score goals and get out of his snake-bitten mode when only getting 12 mins of ice time and no PP time. I've written off this season for his production, it's to the point no matter what he does he cannot find production, he even helped set up Johnson for that breakaway who has been bitten by the same snake as Cally. Then later blocks a shot that sets up Brown who gets robbed, he cannot even get a ****ing assist. I'm so ****ing tired of other fans of teams bashing his contract when they are clueless to how hard he has been playing. It's so fustrating, but at least we are winning and thats most important.

Last edited:

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Kinda hard to score goals and get out of his snake-bitten mode when only getting 12 mins of ice time and no PP time. I've written off this season for his production, it's to the point no matter what he does he cannot find production, he even helped set up Johnson for that breakaway who has been bitten by the same snake as Cally. Then later blocks a shot that sets up Brown who gets robbed, he cannot even get a ****ing assist. I'm so ****ing tired of other fans of teams bashing his contract when they are clueless to how hard he has been playing. It's so fustrating, but at least we are winning and thats most important.

Hey man, all that matters is that we like having Cally around. Even when snakebit, he does a lot around the ice.

And remember, anyone getting paid more than 1 million a year is an overpaid waste of money according to 90% of HF haha.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Great game by Vasi. There's no question he has potential to be a star goaltender in NHL but he still needs to work on his consistency. His performance fluctuates too much from game to game and even period to period sometimes but it will come with more experience I'm sure.

Can't believe we lost in the shots after leading something like 13-0 at one point. We got the win but other than Vasi, they didn't look too hot after that first period. Got the two points though which is the main thing. Being second in the division going into the all star break is great after the first half we had.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Thats funny i had no idea a safety pin was considered good luck.

In Russia it is. [Insert "In Soviet Russia" joke]

Good bounce back game by Vasi. And I guess it's good for the team to win a close game, to defend a 1-goal lead over almost 60 minutes.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Not a perfect picture but good example of a game we have to win. One goal game! On another night it would have been 3-4 goals in the first period. It really energized the Leafs that they were still in the game after our initial barrage but we held them off with Vasy leading the way. I thought the Leafs would suck but they have improved under Babcock.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Not a perfect picture but good example of a game we have to win. One goal game! On another night it would have been 3-4 goals in the first period. It really energized the Leafs that they were still in the game after our initial barrage but we held them off with Vasy leading the way. I thought the Leafs would suck but they have improved under Babcock.

They still suck. The only reason that game wasn't a blow out is because Babcock saw we were steamrolling them through the neutral zone and then maintaining consecutive shifts of offensive zone time. Once he noticed that, he employed the Detroit style defense he used last year against us. Clog the neutral zone, eliminate passing and speed, and force them to dump and chase. That would have been Cooper's opportunity to change things up as well, but he just sticks to the plan. No changing. If we were playing any other team but Toronto, that would have been a 4-1 loss.

I was telling my dad from the first few minutes of the game, even after Stamkos scored and the shots were like 8-0, that we weren't skating well and we didn't look sharp. It turned out I was right because no one except Vasi played well and we got away with a 1-0 win because the opponent sucks, not because we were good.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
They still suck. The only reason that game wasn't a blow out is because Babcock saw we were steamrolling them through the neutral zone and then maintaining consecutive shifts of offensive zone time. Once he noticed that, he employed the Detroit style defense he used last year against us. Clog the neutral zone, eliminate passing and speed, and force them to dump and chase. That would have been Cooper's opportunity to change things up as well, but he just sticks to the plan. No changing. If we were playing any other team but Toronto, that would have been a 4-1 loss.

I was telling my dad from the first few minutes of the game, even after Stamkos scored and the shots were like 8-0, that we weren't skating well and we didn't look sharp. It turned out I was right because no one except Vasi played well and we got away with a 1-0 win because the opponent sucks, not because we were good.

Actually, that should have been a 4 to 1 loss.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Yeah we curl back in the zone and try an "organized breakout" way too often. Sometimes you have to just push the pace - we used to do that.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Another couple of issues I've noticed are our insistence on circling back in both the defensive and offensive zones. In the defensive zone we have this horrible tendency where one of our defensemen will get the puck in the corner and instead of cycling it behind the net to the open man, they will turn into the attacking forechecker. It drives me absolutely nuts when we do that. In the offensive zone we always seem to get the zone entry and then turn back toward the blue line. The only (ONLY) guy who gets it down low/drives the net more often than turning around is Callahan. Everybody else will turn around and look for late guys coming in instead of getting the puck towards the net.

These things have to be coached because everyone does them. Every single player does it.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL

Coop gonna Coop!

Would have been a good time to try some counter strategies out.

I have to think all of the circling back and re-grouping is all in Coop's puck possession scheme. Instead of pushing the pace and possibly losing the puck, we circle back and try to organize and maintain possession of the puck. That is a sound theory until the other teams figure it out and fore check until we are behind our own net and have no more room to retreat!

We don't do well with a strong fore check in general. And on the PP we really struggle when teams apply constant press to the puck carrier. Saw that this game when Toronto adjusted their PK. When they pressured us, we got very little scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad