GDT: 1/27/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
Maybe it's just me not having a hard on for Drouin like almost everyone else but I just don't see enough from him. As you saw in the skills challenge he's fast, which I think some are confusing for standing out, he should pass bottom pair D and dangle around them, I just don't see the finishing or offensive threat. He does so much work on the perimeter but it fizzles out in the danger areas, his shot isn't good enough to score from out there. Reminds me of Purcell too much, looks flashy but disappoints in the end.

I think it's a bit hard to judge when he's put with guys who aren't finishers. He's playing the 4th line and that's not his natural habitat. Tonight, on the PP, I thought he showed flashes of brilliance. He was dancing around defenders like Travolta circa 1977. He was grabbing his own rebounds!

His shots tonight were pretty mundane, though. That's 100% true. He needs to be challenged and I'm worried with Morrow and Boyle that isn't going to happen.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think it's a bit hard to judge when he's put with guys who aren't finishers. He's playing the 4th line and that's not his natural habitat. Tonight, on the PP, I thought he showed flashes of brilliance. He was dancing around defenders like Travolta circa 1977. He was grabbing his own rebounds!

His shots tonight were pretty mundane, though. That's 100% true. He needs to be challenged and I'm worried with Morrow and Boyle that isn't going to happen.

Eh - he darts to the inside every now and then. He knows where goals are scored.

He looks like Kucherov from last year (although with fewer breakaways). You see the skill, but it still hasn't entirely come together. Still, I thought today was a very good game from him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I didn't realize you were a Connolly fan. I didn't see him dancing around but he did alright, it's hard for him to look good though with Boyle and Morrow.

Drouin had Killorn who's a decent finisher who could pot 20 and Paquette who can score garbage goals which he did tonight. They just play to North-South for Drouin to really find any chemistry with them. Put Filpulla with them as he can play a cycle game and Drouin with Stamkos who can finish better then them. I think Drouin doesn't deserve 20+ minutes on the top line but there's no chemistry on the 3rd line.

wxkid23

Oct 7, 2014
Kissimmee, FL
We are going to see what this team is made of in the month coming up. If we are true cup contenders it's going to show. We are playing some great teams. That's the bottom line

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think everyone or almost everyone is getting a little too upset over just one game, last 2 games our special teams won those games for us or at least gave us a chance to win.

Yeah our PP needs work, not a trade or change of personnel, but better execution and maybe coaching. I do believe Coop will be changing the units around again, but it won't make a difference if they are not shooting.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The main issue I have was with Stamkos, regardless of his linemates he had zero impact on the game and this happened a lot this year. The man is supposed to be a top 5 player in this league but without the Johnson line putting the team on their back, I'm not even sure they would be a playoffs team at the moment.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Btw...it's not that I was clamoring for fighters or Chris Neil types.

When I talk about needing more toughness, I mean players that can help us "grind out" wins and create space and out battle tougher teams so our skill players can shine.

And yes, obviously our PP is a big problem. That goes without saying.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well we outshot (30:22) and outhit (23:14) them so there's that. Then again, 2 shots on 3 PPs (0/3) certainly ain't enough.

#FreeBrown

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Normally you'd expect the team that leads in hits to be the team that didn't have the puck much. The shot counter would suggest we dominated possession though (which is our game BTW).

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Normally you'd expect the team that leads in hits to be the team that didn't have the puck much. The shot counter would suggest we dominated possession though (which is our game BTW).

We outplayed the Canes for all but 10minutes of that game. The Own Goal Machine that is Stralman and the Bounce to Tlusty on shot way off net set the tone.

Couple those nut crushers with them scoring on the PP through 4 body screen and Bishop's Soul-Crushing Softieâ„¢ on goal #4, and there was nothing to be done. Defense looked scrambly as hell when they were asked to play in their end though. West Coast Swing will be brutal if that continues + our 25th Ranked Road PK.:help:

TKO were dangerous in spurts, Stamkos/Flip/Callahan weren't dangerous really. 2 Goals from 3rd and 4th line...The top two lines have to show up because we got depth scoring in this game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
We outplayed the Canes for all but 10minutes of that game. The Own Goal Machine that is Stralman and the Bounce to Tlusty on shot way off net set the tone.

Couple those nut crushers with them scoring on the PP through 4 body screen and Bishop's Soul-Crushing Softieâ„¢ on goal #4, and there was nothing to be done. Defense looked scrambly as hell when they were asked to play in their end though. West Coast Swing will be brutal if that continues + our 25th Ranked Road PK.:help:

TKO were dangerous in spurts, Stamkos/Flip/Callahan weren't dangerous really. 2 Goals from 3rd and 4th line...The top two lines have to show up because we got depth scoring in this game.

I actually agree with this assessment. This game looked worse than it was because we were trailing the whole time due to some fluky ass goals early.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
As a Canes fan who attended that game, well played Tampa Bay. You definitely outplayed us, which is saying something. The Canes, bad as we are, rarely get outplayed and VERY rarely get outworked. We're a lunchpail team right now that struggles to score and has a very stout defense and great goaltending. When we get a couple lucky ones early, we're like the Devils.

I thought y'all (I'm a southerner!) certainly outplayed us most of the game. Maybe not 50 minutes as another poster said - I thought the Canes' 3rd looked real solid for a team in the lead. But for most of the 2nd and the latter half of the 1st we floundered. I was very impressed with your speed. Holy cow your guys can fly. Tyler Johnson was very impressive, Stamkos outskated us every time he got the puck, and even Mark Barbeiro looked impressive. Overall your D is huge and played well for the most part. And Brian Boyle, geez. What a terrible backcheck by Victor Rask, but well executed by Boyle there. For sure the biggest reason we won was goaltending. Khudobin was superior to Bishop last night. I don't think the 4th was a softie though. Bishop was prepared for the shot and Tlusty is the best finisher on the Canes in situations like that. Maybe Timmy Thomas can make routine saves of that ilk, but it was a pretty fast post-to-post maneuver regardless.

Anyway, just wanted to give you my thoughts. You looked like a contender to me last night.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I watched most of this one and thought we were buzzing around creating lots of shots and opportunities. We just couldn't finish them and Carolina scored easily with theirs. It's disappointing but nothing to want to blow the team up after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad