Prospect Info: #1 #2 and #3 in The League forRookie scoring! Its possible we finish there.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sure is awesome watching these three play like seasoned vets all at once. I think its lost on people just how rare it is to be in this position with Willy, Auston and Mitch. Its early i lnow but I can't remember the last time a team has had this. Its a testament to the great job Management has pulled off to this point.

I am pretty sure these three can sustain this and if it happens it will be likely unheard of in the history of the modern era and possibly "ever". Not a word out there about it yet bit its a bog deal. Maybe a snub by media that i can actually be completely happy with.

Zaitsev is in the top 10 rookie scoring also. Its just amazing nobody seems to interested in it!

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If it's still that way come January, people will start talking

We're barely a month in right now

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Tied 3rd but Werenski had played less games so on a technicality he's 3rd not Marner

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Technically, Marner IS third as he has more goals. Games played isn't a factor.

If goals is your tiebreaker than Laine is 3rd and Marner is 5th.

I'm just saying games played is a far more reasonable tiebreaker. Having more goals doesn't suggest that once the season is over said player would have more points. Having less games played results in a higher points per game, which paced out over 82 games would put Werenski ahead.

Logically putting up 10 points in 10 games is more impressive than 10 in 12 and if we're breaking a tie to put someone 3rd that should be it, regardless of how NHL.com does it.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
If goals is your tiebreaker than Laine is 3rd and Marner is 5th.

I'm just saying games played is a far more reasonable tiebreaker. Having more goals doesn't suggest that once the season is over said player would have more points. Having less games played results in a higher points per game, which paced out over 82 games would put Werenski ahead.

Logically putting up 10 points in 10 games is more impressive than 10 in 12 and if we're breaking a tie to put someone 3rd that should be it, regardless of how NHL.com does it.

You are correct, Laine would be 3rd. I was just commenting on Marner vs Werenski.

This isn't my opinion, if they finish with the same amount of points, then it goes to goals scored, to determine who is ranked ahead. This is how the NHL has always done it. If the season ended now, Laine would be considered third.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You are correct, Laine would be 3rd. I was just commenting on Marner vs Werenski.

This isn't my opinion, if they finish with the same amount of points, then it goes to goals scored, to determine who is ranked ahead. This is how the NHL has always done it. If the season ended now, Laine would be considered third.

yeah that's at the end of the year when all teams have played an equal number of games and if the player missed any games due to being a scratch or in the minors then they weren't good enough, or if injuries then tough luck.

Columbus has played 2 less games, that's not Werenski's fault. Pace it out of team games played if you prefer, that way it works out to the NHL's tiebreaker at the end of the season when every team has played the same number of games. There's no official in season method.

Just saying when I rank players mid-season it's points, then games played as the tiebreaker. Because it's a far more logical tiebreaker than goals

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
More good news on Rookies too. Kapanen scored acouple more today and Valiev had a couple assists in the Marlies win over the Montreal farm team. It just gets more fun all the time to follow this

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Our prospect pool is so deep it's almost unfair.

Deep and lots more coming. The quality of Matthews, Nylander and Marner playing all in their inaugural full rookie year is unmatched throughout the league right now. I don't think any other team stacks up against them for rookies.

Its been a long time coming, thanks Shanny,Hunter and Lou. I can't see Lou wanting to retire from this if he is healthy and enthused by being part of this rather big swing for the better. I hope Lou stay working for us as long as he can. He is just smart in the way he handles thrse kids wanting to make the team.

Everything about the franchise is looking unfair :D

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
When you think about, it really took 2-3 yrs for Shanny, Hunter and others to pile these prospects up. Ofcourse, trading away Dion, Phil and other vets helped too. While winning the Matthews sweepstake helped too. But got to give credits for picking Willie at 8th instead of Richie or whoever, drafting. Smart drafting in the mid and later rounds.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'm enjoying this for sure but to be fair Edmonton could have easily done this if they had kept guys in junior like you're supposed to do.

Imagine if Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins got to enter the league at the same time.

And that the Oilers had a competent group of vets and a coach that was willing to let them play rather than "work them in gradually".

And IIRC Crosby and Malkin were rookies together.

I think Malkin missed a chunk of the season after a skate injury...

I have zero clue if I'm remeberinf that right...

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
I'm enjoying this for sure but to be fair Edmonton could have easily done this if they had kept guys in junior like you're supposed to do.

Imagine if Hall, Eberle, and Nugent-Hopkins got to enter the league at the same time.

And that the Oilers had a competent group of vets and a coach that was willing to let them play rather than "work them in gradually".

And IIRC Crosby and Malkin were rookies together.

I think Malkin missed a chunk of the season after a skate injury...

I have zero clue if I'm remeberinf that right...

Malkin debuted the season after Crosby.

As for this thread, it'll be awesome if they can keep it up, but there's a lot of really good rookies this year, so I don't expect it.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
M N' M the 3 Musketeers are fun to watch and the future is bright in Leafs Nation as hope has returned.

In Shanny We Trust !!!

#Play-The-Kids

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This management group is awesome. A little luck has helped too but they have a long term plan that they maintain to follow. They are probably pretty excited behind the scenes. I think Neilsen is another pick by Hunter we will left optimistic about very shortly.

Nielsen's point shot is the Bomb from the point we are missing. Its low and it heavy. He plays a heavy game when the game is on the line too. I'm saying what a savvy pick already and fully expect that he sees time with the Leafs this year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
M N' M the 3 Musketeers are fun to watch and the future is bright in Leafs Nation as hope has returned.

In Shanny We Trust !!!

#Play-The-Kids

Who is the next wave you expect to see this year? I think Kappie, Dermott and Nielsen are the next 3 up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
True. Regarding the thread title, we do have more 1st year rookies than most teams as well which could have something to do with it.

Three rookies that could possibly be at the top of the rookie scoring heap all season is not just we have more 1st year rookies to me. Thats exciting stuff. Thats three elite Rookies that nobody else even touches.

This stuff is boss. I hope we pull it off and end up 1-2-3 in rookie scoring.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
I just had a look on NHL.com and in the last 20 years there has never been a 1-2-3, but there has been 2 in top 3:

Palat/Johnson (TBL - 2nd/3rd - 2013/14)
Kane/Toews (CHI - 1st/3rd - 2007/08)
Heatley/Kovalchuk (ATL - 1st/2nd - 2001/02)
Hedjuk/Drury (COL - 1st/3rd - 1998/98)

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Three rookies that could possibly be at the top of the rookie scoring heap all season is not just we have more 1st year rookies to me. Thats exciting stuff. Thats three elite Rookies that nobody else even touches.

This stuff is boss. I hope we pull it off and end up 1-2-3 in rookie scoring.

I just had a look on NHL.com and in the last 20 years there has never been a 1-2-3, but there has been 2 in top 3:

I guess I wondered how many teams even have three rookies (that play regularly), that's all. I don't have the answer, and that is why I'm asking the question. What our three rookies are accomplishing (so far) is of course an accomplishment. No question or suggestion to the contrary on this point.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Nice work thanks! If all goes well its likely a first time ever. I think they could do it and if they ever playedon the same line together it would be crazy. Probably better spread out but hoolee thatwould be fun to watch.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
All that scoring prowess and Nikita Zaitsev has arguably been just as important to our team as any one of those rookies. He has been our best defensemen imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad