Pre-Game Talk: 1/1/16 1 PM ET - 2016 Winter Classic - BRUINS vs Montréal - NBC, SN, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Maybe it is because of the warm weather but there has been very little buzz about this game and it is only 3 weeks away.

I found this PR puff piece from the NHL and at first glance something looks wrong.

The Rink Build at Gillette Stadium

The 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® Ice Plant presented by York – the custom-built 53-foot, 300-ton capacity truck that houses the world's largest mobile rink refrigeration unit and will be used to make the ice sheet for the 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic® - will depart from the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto on Dec. 15 and arrive at Gillette Stadium on Monday, Dec. 21st. After the installation of field protection, 243 ice pans and a ring of dasherboards to enclose the rink, workers will create a nearly two-inch think ice surface at Gillette Stadium. Fans will be able to follow the entire rink-build process through interactive features and extensive coverage on NHL.com and NHL Network™.

Why on earth is it taking 6 days to drive a truck from Toronto to Boston???? I know traffic on the QEW and Thruway can be tough but :laugh:

Today I got an e-mail from the Bruins inviting me to the *OFFICIAL* Bruins Tailgate Party

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=109202&sf16722987=1

oin the Boston Bruins Foundation at the Official Boston Bruins Tailgate Party on January 1, 2016 before the start of the 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®. Choose from the two available packages below. Each package provides hospitality passes which includes a breakfast tailgate buffet, complimentary beverages, the ability for attendees to mix and mingle with Bruins Alumni, raffles, entertainment and more! All proceeds from the event will benefit the Boston Bruins Foundation and the Rodman Ride for Kids.

EVENT INFORMATION

Where: Rodman Ford
Address: 53 Washington St, Foxborough, MA 02035
Parking Lot Opens: Aimed to open the parking lot at 8:00 AM*
Tailgate Doors Open: 9:00 AM
Tailgate Doors Close: 12:00 PM
*Please note the opening of the lots is subject to State Trooper approval. We will officially open when they give us the official say so.

This looks like a clone of Ordway's tailgates for Pats games and it would not surprise me if he is running it. The price is steep.

Now it says complementary beverage but that can not include alcohol as Mass Happy Hour Laws forbid that ( at least I think so ) - anybody know for certain?

Last edited:

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
timely thread.. was thinking the same thing the past couple days

ususally there is a lot of lead up in terms of build, logistics, hype, etc.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I am excited to drink gatorade on the couch and watch this while nursing my hangover.

I saw a Winter Classic jersey at Canucks game I went to, it was pretty sharp, I like the jersey.

Hopefully we can build off the last win and make it 2 in a row.

600x400_102415_CharaKrejciRask.jpg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
http://www.mass.gov/abcc/regs/reg2040403.htm

Booze police said:
(1) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall:

sell, offer to sell or deliver to any person an unlimited number of
drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price, except at private
functions not open to the public
;

Private functions have to be restricted to invited guests, and invited guests cannot be charged directly or indirectly. Ergo, no free booze, but all the virgin mimosas and virgin Cuba Libres you want.

Now, maybe included with this package they could slip in 4 "drink vouchers". Or they could sell drinks for really low. If they charged 1 cent for a beer, that would be practically free - not sure what the legal ramification would be.

Could be that the fact that it's a non-profit (Boston Bruins Foundation) running it might give it some leeway. Still, optics would say that it's a good idea to keep away from all you can drink - the last thing the B's want for NBC's opening line of the broadcast of the game is to be, "Well, here in Foxboro, the game is set to start in half an hour, after the arrest of a mob of 100 fans who were served at an OFFICIAL Bruins tailgate..."

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.mass.gov/abcc/regs/reg2040403.htm

Booze police said:
(1) No licensee or employee or agent of a licensee shall:

sell, offer to sell or deliver to any person an unlimited number of
drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price, except at private
functions not open to the public
;

Private functions have to be restricted to invited guests, and invited guests cannot be charged directly or indirectly. Ergo, no free booze, but all the virgin mimosas and virgin Cuba Libres you want.

Now, maybe included with this package they could slip in 4 "drink vouchers". Or they could sell drinks for really low. If they charged 1 cent for a beer, that would be practically free - not sure what the legal ramification would be.

Could be that the fact that it's a non-profit (Boston Bruins Foundation) running it might give it some leeway. Still, optics would say that it's a good idea to keep away from all you can drink - the last thing the B's want for NBC's opening line of the broadcast of the game is to be, "Well, here in Foxboro, the game is set to start in half an hour, after the arrest of a mob of 100 fans who were served at an OFFICIAL Bruins tailgate..."

$300 for a parking space and 2 tickets to the tailgate just seems steep. :laugh:

As long as we don't get any major snow the tailgating for this game will be nuts because of our friends to the north who will be coming in waves. :help:

0416_city_fans_01.jpg

Last edited:

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Scored Putnam Club seats.

whooooooooooa

As far as parking, I've parked at McDonalds maybe a half mile away from the stadium. I believe it cost us $40 and that was for a playoff game.

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
I believe the commuter rail will be running , One from the north and one from the south straight to Gillette. Looking for confirmation.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Scored Putnam Club seats.

whooooooooooa

As far as parking, I've parked at McDonalds maybe a half mile away from the stadium. I believe it cost us $40 and that was for a playoff game.

Sweet! You'll be nice and warm.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That was god awful and hilarious.

We think alike :handclap:

The Bruins (management) never seem to go all in on videos like this - They got burnt in 2012 when they had extensive 'Bear and the Gang' episodes in the can and then they were knocked out by Washington in the first round.

Bruins Rules of 2009 was the best ad campaign this franchise ever had and casual fans bought into it and the hardcore fans loved it. It certainly was better than the 'It's Called Bruins' campaign where fans adopted 'It's Called Ruins - the B is silent'.

I also heard that Papa Jacobs killed one campaign cold as he was offended that the Bear had feelings for an Ice Girl - but also they were eliminated by Washington.

I was really hopeful the team would exploit the Winter Classic but so far - nothing.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm hoping for a nor'easter

Hush you :p

In 2010 there was supposed to be a blizzard but it held off until the next day thankfully.

I'm hoping for warmish temps mostly because I don't want to be sick for 2 weeks like I was in 2010. I lost my voice from screaming so it was already sore and add a head cold into the mix and I felt like I swallowed a ton of daggers.

When I get to my PC I will post the link to the bag and tailgate rules from Gillette. I am planning on heading to Foxboro at some point to buy a bag but I need to make sure my camera will fit in it.

I hope we get seat cushions again.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I want mild nice day first, Bruins win second, but I'm getting both and a great day so no worries:cheers:

I been to enough Patriots games in January to know (I still havent thawed out from the Tebow Broncos destruction a few years ago)

I just looked last night to see where I'm sitting and was in section 113 row 25 or 26 on the aisle

is there some veiw thingy I can look at to see what my view looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad