Post-Game Talk: 1-0 in the Ekholm Era

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It's so exciting to have a legit top pairing dman in Ekholm now. Even Nurse looked better last night not having to do all the heavy lifting. Ekholm is going to be such a great mentor to Bouchard and Broberg... like the perfect fit for this team. Much prefer him over Chychrun for sure.

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
I am listening to this f****n goof on TSN 1050 Toronto 1UP podcast. Mike Johnson I think. Yes, they are praising 97, but he says "McDavid looks like he is not enjoying playing hockey at all"

WTF lol

• Haha
Reactions: xoczar99ox

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I am listening to this f****n goof on TSN 1050 Toronto 1UP podcast. Mike Johnson I think. Yes, they are praising 97, but he says "McDavid looks like he is not enjoying playing hockey at all"

WTF lol

Toronto media are such a dumb group.

Matthews and Marner wear dumb shit and are media whores - look at how much fun they're having!

McDavid plays a focused, no BS competitive brand of hockey and is on a once every 100 year goal scoring heater, but isn't smiling - looks like he wants out!!

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Then again the same doofus said "Don't worry about Matthews, when push to comes, he will show up when it really counts"

Matthews in Game 7's and the CLB elimination game

5GP 0G 2A -4

lol

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004

WTF lol
That's called McDavid's game face... doesn't equate to unhappiness.
Give McDavid a few more games with Ekholm on this team and you will see any frown turned upside down

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

WTF lol
If that was Mackinnon, they'd be like ohhhh look how focused he is, he wants a cup, this man means business ooooo ahhhh no processed foods ooooooo

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Give McDavid a few more games with Ekholm on this team and you will see that frown turned upside down
Someone on the Oilers said McDavid won't open up and allow himself publicly to really enjoy himself until he gets the ultimate prize. Meanwhile, Marner and Matthews impatiently wait for the next piece of their wardrobe to arrive and bask in the glow of the Biebs slobbering all over them.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Just sticking my head in. Ekholm's wife, Ida Björnstad is much better known than him in Sweden. She's a respected broadcaster and used to be a commentator for SHL, the WHC and was part of the Swedish broadcasting team at the 2021 Olympics. She was supposed to be a commentor at the Winter Olympics in 2018 but found out she was pregnant. Unfortunately she had to give up her career when she moved to Nashville so she's written two children's books about sport and hockey, had a podcast with other wives and gf in Nashville. The first one was called I'm not a hockey wife! And the second pod Off Ice. She also works with a charity Give to Sports that donates equipment to children. Has a university degree and was a very promising cross country skier as a junior. And usually works during their summers in Sweden.

She hails from northern Sweden and has spoken multiple times of how much she misses snow and cold, so this is not just something Ekholm says to ingratiate himself to Oilers fans. Point is, she's very much her own person who will love Edmonton winters, and hopefully in Canada she may be able to work, unlike in the US?
Sportsnet should hire her for the oilers broadcast. Get a little nepotism old girls club going to replace Katzs old boys club.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Someone on the Oilers said McDavid won't open up and allow himself publicly to really enjoy himself until he gets the ultimate prize. Meanwhile, Marner and Matthews impatiently wait for the next piece of their wardrobe to arrive and bask in the glow of the Biebs slobbering all over them.
Matthews is just putting on a happy face to cover up his crippling devastation over his extreme hair loss.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Preds fan dropping by.

After reading through the comments here, looks like you all are pleased with the addition of Ekholm. Pairing him with Bouch was the perfect decision in my opinion. He has played alongside our rookies and younger D-men for the past two years and has really been a stabilizing force for them to help them develop their game. He’s very vocal on the ice to help direct play in the D-zone. He should help Bouchard improve a lot.

It was nice to see his reaction after that first McDavid goal that he was on the ice for. He’s probably thrilled to have amazing forward talent in front of him for a change.

The broadcast crew always referred to him as the Big Swedish Redwood, some of the fan base hated it some liked it. He truly is a Viking Warrior though. Big, strong, calm and can be vicious when necessary.

He’s been awesome off the ice as well. Really involved with the community and does some really cool things around the charities he supports. He’s always generous with his time and is a fantastic interview. He shoots it straight and tells it like it is.

He will be greatly missed here in Nashville.
good to hear, thx for the info. I gotta get to Nashville for a game. Ive been to Knoxville, but no Nashville. Looks like a great spot
U guys did pretty good in that trade. I liked Barrie. Weak on the defensive side but great offensive and great guy. Schaeffer could turn into a great power forward. Good size. Good draft this year as well. Deep.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Thanks for the post, it would be awesome if she could do broadcasting up here.
I actually have a bit of sympathy for Holl. D men have to take the body on their man and it’s extremely difficult for a guy who is 6’3”, even with arms at his sides, not to put a shoulder into the face or head of a guy who is 5’6”. Not saying he maybe didn’t put a little extra into it, hard to tell, but i guess I’m just saying Yamo is always going to be vulnerable to this even when opponents aren’t being malicious.
Once he gets a little heavier they won’t want to hit him cause his Center of gravity will be detrimental to their health.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Talking about mcdavids game face. It's intense and it's f***ing awesome to see someone so damn competitive and the hunger to be the best player on the planet. He is the GOAT already and it's okay to admit it.

Reactions: TB12 and McDreamy

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Biggest difference I noticed was Draisaitl last night. Guy had some pep in his step. Was all over the place backchecking to

Perhaps the mental fatigue on some guys was getting to be to much, now with a guy like ekholm it brings back some confidence

One of the best games and most complete ones from start to finish on the season by far last night

Yeah hes such a beast when hes skating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
looks like sheri moon
Sheri Moon. yum
I actually have a bit of sympathy for Holl. D men have to take the body on their man and it’s extremely difficult for a guy who is 6’3”, even with arms at his sides, not to put a shoulder into the face or head of a guy who is 5’6”. Not saying he maybe didn’t put a little extra into it, hard to tell, but i guess I’m just saying Yamo is always going to be vulnerable to this even when opponents aren’t being malicious.
This is what I mentioned last week not as slight but if you happen to be face to elbow height in the sport of hockey this is the kind of thing that happens to you a lot. Hockey Helmets, even the better designed ones currently don't save you from this basic alignment. Its a serious disadvantage to be this height, play hockey, and have your style be irascible and digging for pucks. Its a bad combination.

Small players can play in this league if they are elite talent waterbugs that can grab pucks and evade hits. Yama is not that, and never has been.

Anyway excellent post bud. It is what it is. That Yama is so tiny and tends to go flying at any hit is just the physics of it and will make it look worse than it is. Drai can get the same and not even move.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sheri Moon. yum

This is what I mentioned last week not as slight but if you happen to be face to elbow height in the sport of hockey this is the kind of thing that happens to you a lot. Hockey Helmets, even the better designed ones currently don't save you from this basic alignment. Its a serious disadvantage to be this height, play hockey, and have your style be irascible and digging for pucks. Its a bad combination.

Small players can play in this league if they are elite talent waterbugs that can grab pucks and evade hits. Yama is not that, and never has been.
Yamamoto is a weaker Gallagher. They kind of play the same. And Gallagher is pretty much done from all the abuse he has taken. So of course a guy who isn't as strong and a little smaller would be having similar issues sooner.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Once he gets a little heavier they won’t want to hit him cause his Center of gravity will be detrimental to their health.
He may get heavier, but he'll still be 5' 6", and his head won't get any tougher.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its only one game but team seems heartened by the addition of a proper piece of the puzzle. Everybody from Nurse, Desharnais, McD, Drai, Nuge, Kostin had a different strut last night, and in a good way, and seemed to be showing their new team mate what they are, or can be about. Even before puck drop saw that and the team energized with Ekholm being on the bench and almost everybody looking 6 inches taller and not at all coincidental that on this night Nuge destroyed Boll. I think Ekholm gave the team some real man energy last night and you feel it on the bench. Kane still coming back too.

But what a great time watching Ekholm and Desharnais and now Nurse being back to beasts on the backline. Nurse really has played well for several weeks, people just weren't giving him credit for it. Darnell was our best player against Boston I thought.

Well thanks Ken Holland. This looks like a good solid addition. You sure notice Ekholm wherever he is on the ice. I'll do a Gene pun and say he sure stands out. Wow, his wife is really tall too. She must be 6ft tall.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I admire Yama's heart but unfortunately there is a lot of truth in this post. He just takes so much punishment.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sheri Moon. yum

Anyway excellent post bud. It is what it is. That Yama is so tiny and tends to go flying at any hit is just the physics of it and will make it look worse than it is. Drai can get the same and not even move.
Drai's issue for getting hit is when he doesn't skate and is a sitting duck. That's usually when he takes most of his abuse and injuries. When he's moving his feet and skating, guys tend to bounce off him and he wins most of those confrontations.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its only one game but team seems heartened by the addition of a proper piece of the puzzle. Everybody from Nurse, Desharnais, McD, Drai, Nuge, Kostin had a different strut last night, and in a good way, and seemed to be showing their new team mate what they are, or can be about. Even before puck drop saw that and the team energized with Ekholm being on the bench and almost everybody looking 6 inches taller and not at all coincidental that on this night Nuge destroyed Boll. I think Ekholm gave the team some real man energy last night and you feel it on the bench. Kane still coming back too.

But what a great time watching Ekholm and Desharnais and now Nurse being back to beasts on the backline. Nurse really has played well for several weeks, people just weren't giving him credit for it. Darnell was our best player against Boston I thought.

Well thanks Ken Holland. This looks like a good solid addition. You sure notice Ekholm wherever he is on the ice. I'll do a Gene pun and say he sure stands out. Wow, his wife is really tall too. She must be 6ft tall.

Holland mentioned in the first intermission but I think the team just wants big guys on the back end. As beloved as Barrie was on/off the ice, I think they want a big defense. And after watching TB for so long, it understandable why.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

So, you think Ekholm will now be okay for us, after his team getting punked by Draisaitl for a few games?;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yamamoto is a weaker Gallagher. They kind of play the same. And Gallagher is pretty much done from all the abuse he has taken. So of course a guy who isn't as strong and a little smaller would be having similar issues sooner.
People always bring up Gallagher who is playng weight of 30lbs heavier but I have to bring up a boxing parallel here. People that are jacked, that train incredibly hard and have enormous muscle mass for their size (Gallagher, MSL) etc can withstand head shots better just like boxers get more of a chin when they've really been king of the gym for a longtime. The right training increases strength everywhere including neck strength, core strength, I suspect even spine strength. I don't know all the particulars of it but I know its a thing.

Kailor at 153lbs hasn't developed the muscle, mass, or core or neck strength to be withstanding these types of hits.

But as you mention even Gallagher is done, and yet he's the player people were telling me Yama would be and that it will all be OK for Yams to play one of the most violent sports in the world at the highest level, in the biggest size league. Nah, this was never gonna end well unfortunatley.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Even stuff like this is refreshing to see. Ekholm actually slowed down the play, carried the puck right behind the net, and then made a beautiful dish to Draisaitl which almost resulted in a goal for Hyman. Majority of the time we would see an Oiler dman attempt that and ends up icing the puck.

lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad