'09 2 Round Mock with a few suprises

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Here's my latest Mock Draft, just to warn everybody ahead of time there are some suprises in here and as we all know that is going to happen on draft day. I'm sure some of you aren't gonna like the picks but I didn't want to make a draft that looked like everyone else's.

1 New York Islanders: Matt Duchene C
The first big surprise of the draft, Duchene is a guy who is really rising and although all year it seemed like Tavares & Hedman would go 1, 2 in some order I would be very surprised now if Duchene does not go in one of the top 2 spots. I think the Islanders will make the gutsy call and go with the speedy 2-way center.
2 Tampa Bay Lightning: John Tavares C
I know everyone thinks the Lightning will take Hedman, but I think the guy they really want is Duchene. In this scenario Duchene is gone and the pick is now between Tavares and Hedman. Although Hedman would give them a young cornerstone to build around on the back end drafting Tavares would allow them to move Lecavalier for a package which surely would include a top young defenceman.
3 Colorado Avalanche: Victor Hedman D
Although one of the top 2 forwards would be a nice replacement for Sakic, adding a big 2-way defender like Hedman would be a great thing for this organization as it goes through a bit of change.
4 Atlanta Thrashers: Evander Kane C
Either Kane or Schenn would look good at this spot, but Kane’s offensive potential wins out.
5 Toronto Maple Leafs (from Los Angeles): Brayden Schenn C
Once again the Leafs move up to draft a Schenn in the #5 spot. Although I could see the Kings using the #5 pick as bait in a trade for someone like Lecavalier or Heatley in this scenario they move down 2 spots and pick up a 2nd rounder from the Leafs. The Leafs need to move up to get Schenn, as he won’t be there at #7.
6 Phoenix Coyotes: Jared Cowen D
If not for his season ending knee injury there is no way that Cowen would be available at this spot. I think the Coyotes would love to see either Schenn or Kane on the board, but if they are gone Cowen is a great consolation prize.
7 Los Angeles Kings (from Toronto): Scott Glennie RW
If the Kings don’t use this pick as part of a package to acquire a superstar forward (Lecavalier or Heatley) I think they go a little off the board to take the Brandon sniper. I’m sure most are think Paajarvi-Svensson at this spot but to me he seems like a guy who could slide a little not unlike someone like Lauri Tukonen a few years ago.
8 Dallas Stars: Ryan Ellis D
The Stars could really use a top-notch defender and they will have their pick of a few really good ones at this spot. Ellis is a guy who had a phenomenal season and Memorial Cup and could be a great replacement for Zubov in a couple years.
9 Ottawa Senators: Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson LW
In this scenario the Sens will have their pick between a few skilled defencemen and a sliding Paajarvi-Svensson. If Heatley is dealt the need for a skilled replacement will become magnified.
10 Edmonton Oilers: Chris Kreider LW
Maybe a bit of a surprise to see him go this high but a big winger who can skate is exactly what a team like Edmonton could use.
11 Nashville Predators: Jordan Schroeder RW
A skilled forward who has chemistry with last years first rounder Colin Wilson would be a great pick up for the Preds.
12 Minnesota Wild: Dmitri Kulikov D
A highly skilled 2-way defender who gives the Wild a potential powerplay QB as soon as this year
13 Buffalo Sabres: Oliver Ekman-Larsson D
A smooth, skilled defenceman who would fit in well alongside last years 1st rounder Tyler Myers
14 Florida Panthers: John Moore D
A great skater who gives them a potential replacement down the road in case Bouwmeester leaves.
15 Anaheim Ducks: Carter Ashton LW
A big kid who has some skill and can skate would look nice alongside the young forwards the Ducks already have.
16 New York Islanders (from Columbus): David Runbald D
The Isles move picks 26 & 37 to Columbus so they can take the highly skilled defender from Sweden.
17 St. Louis Blues: Jacob Josefson C
A good all around center who fits in well with the Blues current group of prospects
18 Montreal Canadiens: Zack Kassian RW
I really think the Habs need to get bigger and tougher and this guy gives them plenty of that while also providing a bit of skill.
19 New York Rangers: Nazem Kadri C
A guy I can see falling a bit come draft day, but he provides the Rangers with a highly skilled forward at this point of the first round.
20 Calgary Flames: Simon Despres D
A big solid defenceman who should be able to chip in offensively
21 Ottawa Senators (from Philadelphia): Jordan Caron C
The Flyers move back and pick up picks #39 and 46 while the Sens get another very good offensive player to hopefully give them some secondary scoring in the future.
22 Vancouver Canucks: Tim Erixon D
The Canucks need good young prospects just about everywhere but a solid 2-way defenceman who is compared to Mattias Ohlund would be a wise selection.
23 New Jersey Devils: Kyle Palmieri C
A gritty skilled forward who seems like a Devils kind of player
24 Washington Capitals: Louis Leblanc C
A guy who could provide a good presence on the 2nd line in the future
25 Boston Bruins: Calvin De Haan D
A skilled defenceman gives the Bruins a future PP QB
26 Columbus Blue Jackets (from Islanders via San Jose) Ethan Werek C
A big skilled center that the Jackets hope can eventually play with Nash
27 Carolina Hurricanes: Landon Ferraro RW
The Canes go back out West to grab one of the best pure scorers in the draft
28 Chicago Blackhawks: Jeremy Morin C
A highly skilled goal scorer who the Blackhawks hope can provide some more scoring behind Kane and Toews
29 Detroit Red Wings: Ryan O’Reilly C
A real gritty 2-way player who the Wings would hope could provide some energy on the 3rd line in the future
30 Pittsburgh Penguins: Richard Panik C
For the time being I’m gonna put the Pens in this spot and I think they will target an offensive forward who can be slotted next to Crosby or Malkin in the future

Second Round:

31 New York Islanders: Olivier Roy G
32 Tampa Bay Lightning: Dylan Olsen D
33 Colorado Avalanche: Philippe Paradis C
34 Atlanta Thrashers: Toni Rajala LW
35 Los Angeles Kings: Stefan Elliott D
36 Phoenix Coyotes: Peter Holland C
37 Columbus Blue Jackets (from Islanders via Toronto): Drew Shore C
38 Dallas Stars: Carl Klingberg LW
39 Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa): Edward Pasquale G
40 Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Button D
41 Nashville Predators: Zack Budish C
42 Nashville Predators (from Minnesota): Nick Leddy D
43 San Jose Sharks (from Buffalo): Charles Olivier Roussel D
44 Florida Panthers: Cody Eakin C
45 Atlanta Thrashers (from Anaheim): Marcus Johansson LW
46 Philadelphia Flyers (from Ottawa via Columbus): Eric Gelinas D
47 New York Rangers (compensatory): Anton Burdasov LW
48 St. Louis Blues: Robin Lehner G
49 Colorado Avalanche (from Montreal): Matthew Hackett G
50 Los Angeles Kings (from Toronto via Rangers): Alex Hutchins C
51 Calgary Flames (from Carolina via Los Angeles): Jimmy Bubnick RW
52 Tampa Bay Lightning (from Philadelphia): Tyson Barrie D
53 Vancouver Canucks: Josh Birkholz RW
54 New Jersey Devils: Brian Dumoulin D
55 Washington Capitals: Brayden McNabb D
56 New York Islanders (from Boston): Tomas Vincour C
57 San Jose Sharks: Joonas Nattinen C
58 Toronto Maple Leafs (from Carolina via Buffalo): Taylor Doherty D
59 Chicago Blackhawks: J.F. Berube G
60 Detroit Red Wings: Tomas Tatar C
61 Pittsburgh Penguins: Kenny Ryan RW

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
not a chance holland falls that far.. and hopefully edmonton doesn't pick kreider :P but overall good job!

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
not a chance holland falls that far.. and hopefully edmonton doesn't pick kreider :P but overall good job!
Holland is a guy I can really see falling come draft day, while Kreider is a guy I think will go a lot earlier than most people expect

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I don't like the Avs 2nd-round picks at all, but I like the list in general. Just like Button's top ten, it's very different from all the consensus-crap we've been fed over and over again the past months. Good job!

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Don't think the stars are interested in Ellis as they have Vishneskiy-Schroeder and guys like OEL and Kulikov are mentioned maybe MSP if he falls

X0ssbar

I like your thought process in having the CBJ trade down with the Islanders. That's a scenario I can certainly see playing out come June 26th.

Don't really know anything about the two guys you have them selecting but hey, at least they are centers which we desperately lack in our system.

SomE*

Aside from the 1st 3 picks I like it and can see the real draft playing out somewhat like this. I also think Kreider will go higher than most think.

Default101

Edmonton needs a big winger who can skate according to your decision to take Kreider way ahead at #10.. I viewed Zack Kassian three times this year. His skating is very above average for a teenager at his size and his hitting ability. Also he's alot more logical and a guy who several have as their #10 pick, because Edmonton does as you said need a big physical winger.

I disagree with the Holland statement, he's a guy who can do anything, you need a defensive forward he can do that, you want a power forward? he can fill that roll, you want a guy who can shoot the puck, he's got alot of skill there, and ontop of it all he can skate. I saw him four times this year, and although he didn't wow me, he was a guy who you know will make the NHL barring a serious injury because he can do so many things. If he puts it together he's an all-star, if he doesn't he's a valuable role player. Eventually in the second half of the 1st round someone is definitely going to want a player like that. Pittsburgh would love a guy like that, like Ryan Malone type player in a way.

Finally i like Ellis more than most people but i have a very difficult time seeing pretty much anyone take him over Kulikov and OEL.

Other than those 3 i really don't have an issue with where everyone is placed. Good job.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
just one thing... that's Carolina's 2nd, not Calgary's.

it should be Carolina from Calgary via LA, not Calgary from Carolina via LA. Not sure when LA acquired it, but Carolina got it as part of the Williams-O'Sullivan deal at the deadline. The Canes would likely go for a pure Power Forward at #51 along the lines of an Alex Chiasson.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
not if hes picking Duchene #1

there isnt a chance in hell he's going #1

just shows snow has fooled a few people very badly

I agree and there s no chance that Tatar fall that far (61 are u crazy)

I think Detroit woll pick Tatar as there 1st pick

Kingjordan

Jun 29, 2008
It will take more than just a 2nd round pick for TO to move up to #5 and also Kings dont pass up on MSP of he is there at 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad