GDT: #04 | New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins | Jan 25 | 7:00PM | 2-4 L

IslesBeBack*

wow. Expectations pretty high around here. 4 games in (2 Wins and 2 losses) and we need to break up the first line to get JT going?

Over analyzing 1 game is a big mistake. I mean honestly, after playing an up and down game last night in Toronto, then flying to Boston to play a game against a rested Bruins team with Seidenberg and Rask in the line-up, And Dipietro getting his first NHL start in over 13 months, what did you all expect?

I know Games 2 and 3 fired everyone up, but seriously it was against Ben Scrivins and Anders Lindback. Along with defenses that are about as soft as you are going to see in the NHL.

The kids are showing promise, let them grow. JT had an off night,big deal it happens, welsome to the world of Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara. There aren't many guys who make them look bad. Doesn't mean the line has to be blown up. My one criticism of the first line is their lack of forcheck. The other Islander lines all have fantastic forecheckers, especially the Aucoin/Ullstrom line. If team don't wise up and put good puck moving defenceman out against them, they will wreak havoc and put pucks in the net on a regular basis.

Grabner and Nielson are also excellent on the forecheck. JT needs an ultra aggressive forechecking winger with him to help create pressure on the opposition in the other zone.

Try and have a little patience, we aren't going to score 7 goals a night, especially not against the Bruins. ALso keep the expectations low, most of these guys are still kids, and wont play perfect every night, this team has a long way to go, before it can be mentioned in the same sentence as 'playoffs', which I have seen thrown around here. Enjoy the ride, I saw things I liked from almost everyone out there at some point tonight, but I also saw some things I didnt like from mos everyone out there... EVEN AUCOIN (though he was pretty damn good tonight)!

Have patience :laugh: Just have patience guys! Only 4 more lottery finishes and THEN we'll be more than just kids.

Seriously, the excuses are incredible with this organization. My take? We were tied 2-2, even had a lead, I wanted a god damn point from the game.

But winning is secondary to contracts here. That's why we lost. The 3rd Boston goal where Dipietro was on his knees like a 2 cent hooker was HIS FAULT. Nabokov doesn't let a wrist shot from chara in. I'm sure neither do 15 other goaltenders in the league.

But DP does, he's been doing it since he's drafted. The 4th Bruins goal? Nah, you're not getting a big save from this guy.

Play DP, and you'll lose everytime. We've seen this for 5 years now, on an off, when this ****ing loser is in net.

So, there's your patience. Shove it.

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
Have patience :laugh: Just have patience guys! Only 4 more lottery finishes and THEN we'll be more than just kids.

Seriously, the excuses are incredible with this organization. My take? We were tied 2-2, even had a lead, I wanted a god damn point from the game.

But winning is secondary to contracts here. That's why we lost. The 3rd Boston goal where Dipietro was on his knees like a 2 cent hooker was HIS FAULT. Nabokov doesn't let a wrist shot from chara in. I'm sure neither do 15 other goaltenders in the league.

But DP does, he's been doing it since he's drafted. The 4th Bruins goal? Nah, you're not getting a big save from this guy.

Play DP, and you'll lose everytime. We've seen this for 5 years now, on an off, when this ****ing loser is in net.

So, there's your patience. Shove it.

..and if we win tomorrow night you're going to act like we're the best team in the universe.

IslesBeBack*

..and if we win tomorrow night you're going to act like we're the best team in the universe.

Smart comments aside, I act in hysteria on here because it's a message board. and I can. doesn't make it right, but sometimes it's good to create discussion based on hyperboles. It's fun. I don't take it as seriously as apparently you do.

On real terms, you can't defend the notion to have patience when we could have had a point last night. That's what teams who take the next step do. It was there for the taking. But the 2nd and 3rd Bruins goals were so freaking soft.

Charman soft. DP is a disgrace and he's embarrassing himself, and the Islanders by trying to play hockey at this point in his pathetic, futile career.

But like I said, winning is secondary to contracts on Long Island. We all know it, that's why when we win, the highs are higher because we know we win in spite of what Snow and Wang do to this fanbase.

Thank god we have Nabby in tomorrow. That's all I'll say. I have 0 respect for TP. I think he's comedic gold and I doubt there's a single person in that lockeroom with respect for a guy who can't make a pad save on Campbell when he puts a wrist shot on the ICE in a hard faught game. Did you see TP's reaction to the shot? He reacted after the puck had been in for 4 seconds. For ****s sake, it's a WRIST SHOT, ON THE ICE. FROM CAMPBELL. HE WAS BARELY AIMING. GET YOUR PAD ON THE DAMN ICE.

This is insane.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
Just watched the DVR of the game, thought the boys worked hard, just didn't get the result against a damn good team.

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
Missed most of the 3rd but loved the way we hung in there all night and battled. Grabner looked great, was still flying, definitely should have had a shortie. I would start a bag of pucks over Finley, he has to go. Thought DP was alright, obviously not great, but I wouldn't place the blame solely on him for this loss.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The ONLY way Rick doesn't give up 4 or more goals tonight is if they hit him in the crest every shot.
I'm calling it 4 goals against......let's see if we can score 5 if we catch them napping.

Good call on the # of goals, but it sounds like he played ok based on numerous other comments. I am on my personal NHL ban for another three days so I have to go with whatever you say on this, but what did you personally think of his play? I did see the highlight goal where he couldn't stretch to cover the post... that's his injuries and conditioning talking, but the rest may not have been all him?

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I usually don't like saying this but I'll give our guys a pass tonight. Playing the second game of a back to back against a top team isn't the easiest thing in the world. I also thought they played well and held their own till the middle of the third period. I'm not upset about this game. Just go out and get a win agaisnt Winnipeg tomorrow.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Good call on the # of goals, but it sounds like he played ok based on numerous other comments. I am on my personal NHL ban for another three days so I have to go with whatever you say on this, but what did you personally think of his play? I did see the highlight goal where he couldn't stretch to cover the post... that's his injuries and conditioning talking, but the rest may not have been all him?
Considering him as a backup goalie he was better than I expected, meaning not bad at all. If he can stay in the net and stay square, not go down on the ice (he has major problems getting back up), with adequate help from his defense clearing the crease, he could function in that role. Not a starter or a goalie you would want to carry the team. He has so many techical and emotional flaws, but most backups do.
I am not a fan of DP so I hope I gave him a fair assessment...a B- for the game.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Smart comments aside, I act in hysteria on here because it's a message board. and I can. doesn't make it right, but sometimes it's good to create discussion based on hyperboles. It's fun. I don't take it as seriously as apparently you do.

On real terms, you can't defend the notion to have patience when we could have had a point last night. That's what teams who take the next step do. It was there for the taking. But the 2nd and 3rd Bruins goals were so freaking soft.

Charman soft. DP is a disgrace and he's embarrassing himself, and the Islanders by trying to play hockey at this point in his pathetic, futile career.

But like I said, winning is secondary to contracts on Long Island. We all know it, that's why when we win, the highs are higher because we know we win in spite of what Snow and Wang do to this fanbase.

Thank god we have Nabby in tomorrow. That's all I'll say. I have 0 respect for TP. I think he's comedic gold and I doubt there's a single person in that lockeroom with respect for a guy who can't make a pad save on Campbell when he puts a wrist shot on the ICE in a hard faught game. Did you see TP's reaction to the shot? He reacted after the puck had been in for 4 seconds. For ****s sake, it's a WRIST SHOT, ON THE ICE. FROM CAMPBELL. HE WAS BARELY AIMING. GET YOUR PAD ON THE DAMN ICE.

This is insane.

I completely agree with that statement. We should of had a point, this team is NOT a 60 minute hockey club. To brush it aside and say "aww the boys were tired from the night before" is inexcusable!! You think John Tortarella would accept that attitude?

We had the lead and we blew it, plain and simple. Even with 5 minutes to go they simply threw in the towel. Winning teams find a way to score, these guys were done midway through the 3rd period. I saw how hard Boston fought back in the final 3 minutes of the 2nd period and said there not going to go down without a fight. The Islanders went into the locker room and came out FLAT!! Sad thing is they do is most nights, Its as if they get surprised when they realize wait we got 20 minutes left to play??

Other then JT there is no one on this team to keep the spark going.. to say lets go win this!!

I will agree Dipietro played ok but yes the last 2 goals were a joke! Id say the same thing if it were Nabby in net.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Kinda shocked at how upset some people were about this loss. The fact that we only lost by 2 goals was actually A LOT better than I thought we would do. Did you guys really think we'd be able to beat a rested Boston team after a game the night before WITH DP in net for the first time in forever? Let's be realistic here guys, if we could get out of this road trip with 3 wins then we'd be in GREAT shape considering our team.

TheWizardOfRozz

Jan 8, 2013
I don't understand how anyone can blame this loss on DP. The Isles hung in there for 2 periods but you could see they were outmatched in the 3rd. He played better than I thought he was going to but he was still average.

I guess people think NHL teams play their starting goalie every game or everyone has an extremely solid backup. That just isn't true and if DP plays like he did last night he will definitely win some games in net.

We should be worrying more about our horrendous defense that has players like Finley getting minutes. For the love of god please scratch him and play Radek or Hickey.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
not too pissed about the loss, last yrs team would have lost worse. bos is one of the best teams in the eastern conf, and we def didnt look over matched, and Dp coulda been way worse.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I don't understand how anyone can blame this loss on DP. The Isles hung in there for 2 periods but you could see they were outmatched in the 3rd. He played better than I thought he was going to but he was still average.

I guess people think NHL teams play their starting goalie every game or everyone has an extremely solid backup. That just isn't true and if DP plays like he did last night he will definitely win some games in net.

We should be worrying more about our horrendous defense that has players like Finley getting minutes. For the love of god please scratch him and play Radek or Hickey.

of course! poor ricky! 1 bad game and everyone blames him undeservedly. :sarcasm:

i can equally well appreciate how much finley cost us the game as well as realising that Dp was losing it at the same time. It wasnt a close call, even though we were in a great position until the start of the 3rd. 1 terrible period is obviously already way more significant than 2 alright periods (most of our boys really looked outplayed in the 3rd). Thats why the islanders lose, cause they just arent a very good hockey team.

waiving reasoner, buying out dp and getting rid of the less impressive waiver pick ups, along with bailey and jj coming back, should all help.

There is a lot of work to be done on the island.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007

The man gave up 4 goals on 27 shots. Good for an .852 save percentage. If he plays every game like he did last night, he'd be out of the league on any other team. DiPietro wasn't the deciding factor, but he hardly had a good game either.

IslesBeBack*

I completely agree with that statement. We should of had a point, this team is NOT a 60 minute hockey club. To brush it aside and say "aww the boys were tired from the night before" is inexcusable!! You think John Tortarella would accept that attitude?

We had the lead and we blew it, plain and simple. Even with 5 minutes to go they simply threw in the towel. Winning teams find a way to score, these guys were done midway through the 3rd period. I saw how hard Boston fought back in the final 3 minutes of the 2nd period and said there not going to go down without a fight. The Islanders went into the locker room and came out FLAT!! Sad thing is they do is most nights, Its as if they get surprised when they realize wait we got 20 minutes left to play??

Other then JT there is no one on this team to keep the spark going.. to say lets go win this!!

I will agree Dipietro played ok but yes the last 2 goals were a joke! Id say the same thing if it were Nabby in net.

Thank you.

I'll have patience if this broken down geiser stays out of the net for the team I like watching. I'll have patience if we fire this Pejorative Slur behind the bench and hire a real coach.

I have all the patience in the world for HOCKEY PEOPLE.

BTW, none of this changes if we win tonight. SO let's not pretend if we win tonight vs. Winnipeg that any of this changes. Dipietro will be in OUR net again in no time and we'll likely lose the game, AGAIN, off ridiculous soft Charmin goals.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you.

I'll have patience if this broken down geiser stays out of the net for the team I like watching. I'll have patience if we fire this Pejorative Slur behind the bench and hire a real coach.

I have all the patience in the world for HOCKEY PEOPLE.

BTW, none of this changes if we win tonight. SO let's not pretend if we win tonight vs. Winnipeg that any of this changes. Dipietro will be in OUR net again in no time and we'll likely lose the game, AGAIN, off ridiculous soft Charmin goals.

Just so we're clear... your against the use of back-up goalies?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
DP played OK. That's it.

We had NO CHANCE with Boston because like every game against Boston, they give us a chance in the beginning and shut us down in the end. EVERY GAME.

So stop blaming DP. Boston would win regardless. I don't want DP up, but he is. The Isles need better D, better leadership and more scoring and backchecking and to hit more to beat Boston. All that and then we need a goalie to shut them down.

Poulin is fine where he is. He's developing. He's growing up. Anyone recall we rushed Dippy and nurtured every bad move, every bad decision and all the bad stickworking by bringing him up early, demanding NO ACCOUNTABILITY with him and refusing to admit he needed to develop early on in his career?

Thankfully, Nilsson and Poulin only had cups of coffee (and both looked great!). They both, FOR OUR SAKE, MUST STAY DEVELOPING INTO GREAT YOUNG NETMINDERS! WORK ON THEIR GAMES!

Patience gets us that. Rushing them up gets quality netminding we saw last night where a goalie does not challenge when he should, does not hug the post, does not cover the right side, does not stand up to challenge or go down to spread out when he should.....a BED EDUCATION. It haunts DP to this day and some want to do the same to Poulin?

Be patient. Deal with Rick in his farewell tour and support the lunk. He played well. He just isn't that good and we have a great future in net if we don't mess with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad