GDT: 04/10/2014 - Blues @ Minnesota - 7PM CDT - 3AM Suomi - NBCSN,TSN2 - AVENGERS EDITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpRedDawn*

He didn't target him for injury. Hell, our team doesn't even target guys for clean hits.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
So, it's perfectly fine for Blues players to try knock the Wild players off balance from behind when they are going into corners, but Rupp can't hit Oshie square in the chest?

Only difference is that the Wild players expect that from the Blues, and the Blues are surpised anybody hits them back.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So, it's perfectly fine for Blues players to try knock the Wild players off balance from behind when they are going into corners, but Rupp can't hit Oshie square in the chest?

Only difference is that the Wild players expect that from the Blues, and the Blues are surpised anybody hits them back.

The problem is that he didn't hit him squarely in the chest...he hit him squarely in the chin.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I really don't think Rupp meant to get Oshie in the jaw like that. Rupp has never been a dirty player and does not come across like that.

I think it was just a bad situation.

A lot was going on, we had been hemmed in our zone for quite a while, the guys were tired, Oshie wasn't quite paying attention because he already had someone on him. It even looks like Rupp was going for a chest hit with him hunched over like that, Oshie was just already bent over even farther, then **** happened.

That ****ing hit Benn had earlier in the year was way more premeditated. It's just that Rupp is a 4th liner and Oshie is Oshie.

It was bad, yes, but it's not like Rupp is some kind of ****ing goon who was just waiting and biding his time to take out America's new pretty boy - check one for the Rupster before he retires. Come on, geesus.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
It doesn't.

My issue is with the condoning of targeting top opposing players for injury.

Happens every year. It's something that NHL should not be so schizophrenic about.

I understand that they want big collisions but it will, inevitably, lead to injuries.

Top players are the target in every, at least the useless ones, 4th line players mind, or anyone who has been instructed to play "though".

If you really want to be realistic about this - then Rupp served his purpose and he can go to stir things up in KHL :)

Anyway, I talk too much and train too little.

Shakeywalton

Jul 7, 2006

Exactly!!

How soon everyone forgets 3 Blues players jumping McCormick in the corner of the Blues end last game and McCormick coming out a bloody mess.

I have zero sympathy for the Blues players or fans. As Walz stated, you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Carma is a biotch.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
My take on the Oshie hit is that it was dirty, not extremely dirty, but Rupp did get his head.

That being said, I don't feel any sympathy for the Blues. After watching teams target Wild players over the past few seasons a hit like that doesn't bother me as much as it probably should.

I just hope the Wild are ready for what's coming. The playoffs are a physical war, and they have to have the will to hit and be hit.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I hate dirty hits period... and Glad we won't have to watch Rupp with the Wild anymore...

I like Oshie as a player and hate to see any player get taken out.

With that said... the reason Rupp was in the lineup was because of the questionable hits the Blues laid out the previous game. Their style of play is the only reason Rupp was in the lineup.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I have almost no sympathy for St. Louis. If they aren't taking runs at players like Granny and Pommer and making borderline veiled threats directed towards the Wild in the media about how they are going to "send a message", then Rupp doesn't even sniff the ice the last game.

The play was unfortunate and you hate to see a guy get hit in the head because it's so dangerous, especially long term, but in the end it was simply an accident. Rupp didn't throw an elbow at his head or purposely pick his head out as his target but he took a bad angle on a play that he should probably not have tried to make in the first play but let's not kid ourselves, Rupp isn't a goon. Sure he's a tough guy and he fights sometimes but he's not out running around throwing elbows and leaving his feet and targeting guys. He just made a bad play. And unfortunately his reputation will take a hit because he's a guy who's usually a healthy scratch and Yoshie is a top forward on their team.

Again though, it all goes back to St. Louis trying to intimidate and take runs at our top guys (not including Backes cross checking our rookie goalie). I didn't like the play itself but I like the IDEA of the Wild standing up for itself and giving it right back St. Louis when they think that's how they want to play against us. Minnesota needed to show some fight against the Blues. When you've got a guy like Ott who pokes and prods his opponent all game, essentially toeing the like of legal vs. illegal and stepping way into the rhelm of illegality at times (at least in the unwritten players rulebook), you have to make a stand at some point. The guy will talk **** all game long and slash, cross check and take runs at his opponent numerous times throughout the game, then cowardly skate back to the bench when it's time to pay the piper and fight or stand up for himself against the opponents tough guys. And I know he's a Minnesotan, but I don't think Backes is much better, other than the fact that he can score too. His going after McKinnon the other night only solidified my already sour opinion of him, honestly. That was cowardly and unbecoming of an NHL captain. And that type of leadership from Backes and a former captain in Ott is part of the reason this Blues team plays the way it does. And because of that I have literally zero, ziltch, zip, noooo sympathy for St. Louis. Outside of feeling bad for Yoshie and wishing him the best, the Blues get no sympathy from me.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I have almost no sympathy for St. Louis. If they aren't taking runs at players like Granny and Pommer and making borderline veiled threats directed towards the Wild in the media about how they are going to "send a message", then Rupp doesn't even sniff the ice the last game.

The play was unfortunate and you hate to see a guy get hit in the head because it's so dangerous, especially long term, but in the end it was simply an accident. Rupp didn't throw an elbow at his head or purposely pick his head out as his target but he took a bad angle on a play that he should probably not have tried to make in the first play but let's not kid ourselves, Rupp isn't a goon. Sure he's a tough guy and he fights sometimes but he's not out running around throwing elbows and leaving his feet and targeting guys. He just made a bad play. And unfortunately his reputation will take a hit because he's a guy who's usually a healthy scratch and Yoshie is a top forward on their team.

Again though, it all goes back to St. Louis trying to intimidate and take runs at our top guys (not including Backes cross checking our rookie goalie). I didn't like the play itself but I like the IDEA of the Wild standing up for itself and giving it right back St. Louis when they think that's how they want to play against us. Minnesota needed to show some fight against the Blues. When you've got a guy like Ott who pokes and prods his opponent all game, essentially toeing the like of legal vs. illegal and stepping way into the rhelm of illegality at times (at least in the unwritten players rulebook), you have to make a stand at some point. The guy will talk **** all game long and slash, cross check and take runs at his opponent numerous times throughout the game, then cowardly skate back to the bench when it's time to pay the piper and fight or stand up for himself against the opponents tough guys. And I know he's a Minnesotan, but I don't think Backes is much better, other than the fact that he can score too. His going after McKinnon the other night only solidified my already sour opinion of him, honestly. That was cowardly and unbecoming of an NHL captain. And that type of leadership from Backes and a former captain in Ott is part of the reason this Blues team plays the way it does. And because of that I have literally zero, ziltch, zip, noooo sympathy for St. Louis. Outside of feeling bad for Yoshie and wishing him the best, the Blues get no sympathy from me.

:handclap: ^ Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad