04/05 contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Whats the word on the 04/05 contracts? Will they be honored? It seems this was the most contentious issue in the final days of negotiation, and I havent seen anything reported on what was finally agreed to. The status of these contracts will greatly effect the free agent market and how the league will look like next year.

cjbhab*

JFPIV said:
Those contracts are TOAST!

They aren't honoured, I don't know if this was a smart move or not? maybe smart, to clean things up, I guess.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I suspect that the compromise was they didn't honour the contracts, but did credit the players for a year of service (something mentioned by either Stellick or Watters on the HockeyCentral panel last night on Sportsnet). So they didn't get paid for last year and the contract is wiped away, but they didn't lose the year in terms of service time for free agency, etc.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
sveiglar said:
I suspect that the compromise was they didn't honour the contracts, but did credit the players for a year of service (something mentioned by either Stellick or Watters on the HockeyCentral panel last night on Sportsnet). So they didn't get paid for last year and the contract is wiped away, but they didn't lose the year in terms of service time for free agency, etc.

So let me get this straight, the 04/05 contract will count towards free agency, meaning that Rick Nash only has to play 4 more years in the NHL before becoming a free agent at 25? If this is true, this means Clarke made out like a bandit by not signing Richards and Carter after all, since guys like Brown and Staal will be free agents two years earlier.

GSC2k2*

As i have said before, "honoured" is a pejorative and misleading term. The fact is that, by allowing the contract year to lapse (or "go off the books, if you prefer), the contractual terms ARE being honoured. THe NHL standard player contract is clear in that it is for a specified period, rather than a "season". When the specified period elapsed, it elapsed. Legally speaking, the contractual terms were "honoured".

When people suggest the contracts are not being "honoured", it creates the (incorrect) suggestion that the owners reneged on their contractual commitments. Again, they did not, but rather complied with those commitments.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
When people suggest the contracts are not being "honoured", it creates the (incorrect) suggestion that the owners reneged on their contractual commitments. Again, they did not, but rather complied with those commitments.

If I agree to pay you for a years work, and you show up the next morning with your sleeves rolled up but I have locked the door (and keep it locked for the duration of the agreement), how can I argue the terms have been fulfilled? Seems to me that the owners are in breach.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
MojoJojo said:
If I agree to pay you for a years work, and you show up the next morning with your sleeves rolled up but I have locked the door (and keep it locked for the duration of the agreement), how can I argue the terms have been fulfilled? Seems to me that the owners are in breach.

its not a breach because there was no CBA-- the contracts are contingent on the CBA being in effect.. when the CBA expires, by labour laws, the players are allowed to strike and the owners are allowed to lockout

GSC2k2*

MojoJojo said:
To provide you the courtesy of a reply, see the post immediately above.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
MojoJojo said:
If this is true, this means Clarke made out like a bandit by not signing Richards and Carter after all, since guys like Brown and Staal will be free agents two years earlier.

And another *ZING* to the naysayers who scoffed at BC for not signing the youngins. High-Five, Mojo, High-Five.
:yo:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
PitkanenPower said:
And another *ZING* to the naysayers who scoffed at BC for not signing the youngins. High-Five, Mojo, High-Five.
:yo:

But the question of how long does he have to sign them before they go back in the draft comes up. Is it one week or two?

rwilson99

MojoJojo said:

Obviously the agreement that was reached by the PA and the league doesn't jibe with your opinion.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MojoJojo said:
So let me get this straight, the 04/05 contract will count towards free agency, meaning that Rick Nash only has to play 4 more years in the NHL before becoming a free agent at 25? If this is true, this means Clarke made out like a bandit by not signing Richards and Carter after all, since guys like Brown and Staal will be free agents two years earlier.

It is unclear whether draftees who signed before the lockout and never played in the NHL will get the same year of service credit as other NHL players.

Under the old CBA, the clock for years of service (for ELS and arbitration) did not start when you signed your contract. An 18 or 19 yo had to play at least 10 NHL games to earn a year of service.

We'll have to see exactly how the new CBA deals with this case.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
loudi94 said:
But the question of how long does he have to sign them before they go back in the draft comes up. Is it one week or two?

It doesn't matter. Both players and both players' agents have made their intentions known. They will be Flyers within hours of the signing period opening.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Salary inceases....

How will this affect qualifying offers?
For example:
03-04 = $750k
04-05 = $1.5M ... rolled back to $1.14M

Which number determines the qualifying offer?
Also, do players under the league average still get an automatic 10% raise?

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
trentmccleary said:
How will this affect qualifying offers?
For example:
03-04 = $750k
04-05 = $1.5M ... rolled back to $1.14M

Which number determines the qualifying offer?
THIS, sir, is why the new CBA is 600+ pages long. :teach:

There will be no loopholes for the PA and agents to exploit in this next CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad