Which Avalanche team is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
On paper the 03/04 team is better than this team for sure I would say. That 03/04 team had some real injury issues and was seriously held back by having one of the worst coaches in recent memory behind the bench.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ll take the current Avs by a small margin.

I don’t think that 03/04 team had Roy, so that’s a big deal. It was also the Selanne/Kariya experiment, which wasn’t great.

I think the Avs defence this year is better than that 03/04 group. Very close overall, but I think this team is slightly better. There were a lot of big names on that 03/04 team, but they were getting long in the tooth.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd say maybe this team due to depth. '04's big advantage is having 2 elite centers instead of just 1, and I'd say Foote is a better #2 than Girard, but I'm not sure if they stand out anywhere else.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
i guess on paper the old 03/04 team looks better ...but what a disgusting choice in a head coach (Tony Granato) and a terrible lineup in goal (David Aebischer and Philippe Sauve). such a disappointing season and a wasted opportunity.

i'm going with 2021. i have more faith in them, to be honest. better coaching, too.
still could use some help in goal.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
i guess on paper the old 03/04 team looks better ...but what a disgusting choice in a head coach (Tony Granato) and a terrible lineup in goal (David Aebischer and Philippe Sauve). such a disappointing season and a wasted opportunity.

i'm going with 2021. i have more faith in them, to be honest. better coaching, too.
still could use some help in goal.

Aebischer was the least of their issues that year. A combination of injuries, and then poor personnel decisions (coaching, trades, etc) really hampered them. In a desperate attempt to make a run, the Avs gutted their remaining prospect depth, which would have been huge for them post-lockout. They lost two NHL defensemen in Keith Ballard and Tom Gilbert for not much of anything, and that would have been a huge boost for them post-lockout.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The 03/04 team was not great, except on paper. This years team has a better defense and a massive advantage in coaching. Nearly everything else is either close or a wash.

Reactions: BHD

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably 2021. That 2004 team was pretty shallow. Slightly better top-six and top-pair, but considerably worse depth. Goaltending is basically a toss-up.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
The 03/04 roster was not good: Colorado Avalanche 2003-04 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

The current defence is better and so are the goalies. Forwards are probably a wash, although 21 are probably better relative to pre-season expectations.

Comon... on paper it’s not even close. Forsberg leading the league in points per game (however missing half the season but I’m guessing we’re basing this on a healthy roster) Sakic well over ppg, + Selanne, Kariya, Hejduk, Tangay. An all star team like that wouldn’t even be possible post cap. Image a team with Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos and Aho. Would be the equivalent today.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Comon... on paper it’s not even close. Forsberg leading the league in points per game (however missing half the season but I’m guessing we’re basing this on a healthy roster) Sakic well over ppg, + Selanne, Kariya, Hejduk, Tangay. An all star team like that wouldn’t even be possible post cap. Image a team with Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos and Aho. Would be the equivalent today.
The thread asked which team was better. Selanne and Kariya weren't good. Forsberg played half a season. Sakic scored 87 points in 81 games - MacKinnon has been consistently higher than that the past three years, and Rantanen/Landeskog are comparable to Hejduk and Tanguay in terms of output. A healthy Forsberg would make a difference purely because you could put him and Sakic on a different line unlike today's team, but that's about it.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
On paper the 03/04 team, in practice the 20/21 team.
Kariya-Sakic-Selanne
Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk

That's literally an all star team.

Reactions: tucker3434

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
On paper the 03/04 team, in practice the 20/21 team.
Kariya-Sakic-Selanne
Tanguay-Forsberg-Hejduk

That's literally an all star team.

Yup. Just didn’t work out. Didn’t even win the division. That was a team where the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad