IR​
|
Vasilevskiy​

** Lineups always subject to change at morning and pre-game skates **

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Quick notes: no morning skate scheduled with it being a 1pm start .. Gionta only skated prior to Friday's practice, so he's a likely scratch again .. the D&C expects Lieuwen to be the goalie recall/backup .. Paquette (day-to-day, LBI) may draw back into the Tampa lineup per NHL.com:
The Sabres need a goalie because Robin Lehner is hurt. There's little doubt that Lieuwen will be backing up Chad Johnson when the Sabres play the Tampa Bay Lightning at 1:05 p.m. Saturday in Buffalo.
Forward Cedric Paquette, who is listed as day-to-day with a lower-body injury is likely to play, according to Cooper.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Did not see him behind Larsson. Looks like Boyle's celebrating with his arm in the air.

Fitting.
That's why I chose it. If you're not looking closely, you'll wonder why is Boyle celebrating there. Also, with the amount of turnover this team has had (and those turd jerseys), I'm often crossing my fingers to find more than one or two photo options in past game galleries for that image header since I like to have the players and jerseys current where possible.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
And about those projected lines: I'd like to flip O'Reilly and Eichel. I didn't like the top line last game and I'm not very fond of Eichel playing with Kane either. I understand that there may be more long term plans in play here, that the coaching staff wants those two to develop chemistry, but... Eichel between Moulson and Ennis and O'Reilly with Kane and Girgensons just makes more sense to me.

Then again, I guess (and hope) there's a reason why Bylsma is coaching an NHL team while I'm a hfboards poster. :)

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I just can't understand why Bylsma so stubborningly keeps Moulson with ROR while you can tell with one eye that it doesn't work in practice - and it doesn't work in theory either.

I think it's because Bylsma wants to keep Kane-Eichel together, but I don't think they have been a big succes either.

And Weber-Franson... Do I need to even start? :laugh: Both are guys who need a lot better partner with them to look even decent. Franson has the ability to give clean outlet passes. Weber has the ability to.... :shakehead

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Has Reinhart and Eichel played together on a line? It seems like they would be a good fit naturally. Both good passers both intelligent and could play off one another.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Has Reinhart and Eichel played together on a line? It seems like they would be a good fit naturally. Both good passers both intelligent and could play off one another.

They started the Ottawa game together. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't think Reinhart was remarkable that game like everyone else did...

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Yes, they started playing together at the season opener, but that really didn't work and Reinhart was switched off.

I think Reinhart has done pretty good, but I see no problem putting him AHL for some time.

As a winger he has to win a lot more puck battles and that's not just his cup of tea at least now. He also needs to keep his feet moving all the time. And that's not also his cup of tea, because you just don't have to move your feet as much as a center as you have to as winger to be effective.

Larsson/Girgs are more than competent 3rd line centers, so just put Reinhart to Roch to adjust his game as a center to more physical and faster game. If he totally dominates there, sure, you shouldn't keep him there too long.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
They started the Ottawa game together. I didn't hate it, but I also didn't think Reinhart was remarkable that game like everyone else did...

Agreed. He made a good plays like usual (but some bad as well).

But he really hasn't been nearly as impactful as I hope him being and as impactful I have seen him being. He's simply not just ready yet to take the control of the game as he has done on lower levels. And by this I don't mean as the same way like Eichel has been (because that's not what he has been on lower levels either).

He has a lot to improve to be the kind of center we all hope him being and that he has shown that he can be. Right now he just isn't too impactful (and yes, I understand the game well enough to notice his good decision makings and good plays....)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Agreed. He made a good plays like usual (but some bad as well).

But he really hasn't been nearly as impactful as I hope him being and as impactful I have seen him being. He's simply not just ready yet to take the control of the game as he has done on lower levels. And by this I don't mean as the same way like Eichel has been (because that's not what he has been on lower levels either).

He has a lot to improve to be the kind of center we all hope him being and that he has shown that he can be. Right now he just isn't too impactful (and yes, I understand the game well enough to notice his good decision makings and good plays....)

The talent is blatantly there. I'm very torn on how to handle him for this season, though. I really don't think I'd mind him in Rochester playing a larger role... But mentally, and positionally on the ice, he's unquestionably an NHLer right now.

If he's here for the year, I hope Bylsma nuts up and demotes someone unworthy from the top six, even if said player is a vet. That'd be a demotion in favor of Reinhart, provided he plays well going forward in whatever time he gets, and a vet is playing poorly enough to warrant that drop.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
And about those projected lines: I'd like to flip O'Reilly and Eichel. I didn't like the top line last game and I'm not very fond of Eichel playing with Kane either. I understand that there may be more long term plans in play here, that the coaching staff wants those two to develop chemistry, but... Eichel between Moulson and Ennis and O'Reilly with Kane and Girgensons just makes more sense to me.

Then again, I guess (and hope) there's a reason why Bylsma is coaching an NHL team while I'm a hfboards poster. :)

Instead of flipping ROR and Eichel, switch Kane and Moulson.

Kane-ROR-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons

Then each line has a very good forechecker with scoring ability to spare. Against Ottawa the ROR line couldn't gain the blueline and wasn't good when they finally started dumping. Switching out ROR and Eichel might back D-men up a touch from the speed factor, but you have to be able to dump it in and get the puck back over the long term. Moulson and Ennis together are not good for that.

This seems so blatantly obvious to me, and so confusing why Bylsma would go to these combos so late in camp. I wanted to have my opinion on Bylsma changed, but not so far...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is it that Bylsma is keeping Ennis and Kane on separate lines since both seem to like to carry the puck at speed?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Is it that Bylsma is keeping Ennis and Kane on separate lines since both seem to like to carry the puck at speed?

Maybe, but I don't see how that should prevent them from playing together. One is a good forechecker and the other is a good cycler in the zone. It doesn't matter who dumps it in, that's a good combo to have. If they insist on skating into the zone though, that's a different scenario, but it's also a poor strategy to begin with. Besides, if their speed backs up d-men and they can skate it in, great. Why should it matter who has the puck, unless selfish reasons?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Bylsma's lines :help:

Why is Weber/Franson still a thing? How is Foligno in the top 6 over Girgs or Reinhart? Why are we still tying the defensive boat anchor Matt Moulson to ROR?

This could be
Kane-ROR-Reinhart (gives Sam quality linemates as he breaks in on the wing. Can be a decent 2 way line if he can hold his own defensively)
Moulson-Eichel-Ennis (soft O-zone minutes)
Foligno-Larsson-Girgs (tough d-zone minutes, but has some punch upfront or can at least cycle and keep possession)
Des-Legwand-McGinn (grind it out)

Honestly, Moulson needs to get his ass in gear and start scoring to have any worth to this team. He's so bad at pretty much everything besides being a net mouth presence.

Risto-Weber (worked last year)
Pysyk-Gorges (if Gorges is still serviceable)
Franson-Cola (leftovers)

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Our D is going to get shredded today.

Keep it respectable boys.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Instead of flipping ROR and Eichel, switch Kane and Moulson.

Kane-ROR-Ennis
Moulson-Eichel-Girgensons

Then each line has a very good forechecker with scoring ability to spare. Against Ottawa the ROR line couldn't gain the blueline and wasn't good when they finally started dumping. Switching out ROR and Eichel might back D-men up a touch from the speed factor, but you have to be able to dump it in and get the puck back over the long term. Moulson and Ennis together are not good for that.

This seems so blatantly obvious to me, and so confusing why Bylsma would go to these combos so late in camp. I wanted to have my opinion on Bylsma changed, but not so far...

Exactly. The only reason why is he wants to to keep Eichel going but that first line is going to struggle to win puck battles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad