011' To-60 Powerforwards?

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Burke having acquired 2 late first-rounders, along with our own low second-rounder, I really think he'll try to go after a real ******* of a player, much like he did last draft with Ross, who he went out of his way to get, trading Hayes for a pretty early pick at no. 43.

It seems guys like McNeill, Ambroz, Jacobs, Jenner, Ritchie, Biggs are the consensus later-rated powerforward class of this draft, although there is conflicting information on who is actually real physical.

I think Burke definitely goes after Ambroz. He's a guy who was rated in the top-10 early into the season, has dropped, but really seems to exemplify the play that Burke likes, and could even be a top-six player being rated so highly at one point.

Jenner seems the other most overtly physical player rated later. No way Burke overlooks a player like that who is also a PPG junior.

Guys like Ritchie and Jacobs are underproducing, and Biggs is still at an early period in his development with the NTDP, so I'm thinking Burke should be looking primarily at the trio of Ambroz, Jenner and McNeill, as they are also about healthy PPG producers going into the draft at this point.

Anybody I may be missing? Or maybe I'm not evaluating these players correctly? Sorry if this appears as a Leafs thread, but the powerforward seems to be quite the universal commodity to any team at the moment anyways. Everybody wants to draft that guy late in a round, like M. Richards, Perry, Getzlaf, C. Stewart, etc..

Analyzer*

Biggs may be all over the chart in terms of ranking, but a lot believe he'll be top 15.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
yea Tyler Biggs, I have seen all over the top 10-25. He can go anywhere. Would love to see him with the Habbies

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Miikka Salomäki is definitely a powerfoward who might go from early 2nd round to 3rd, 4th round.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
The consensus seems to be that Biggs is the best of the group that you mentioned, not to mention the meanest. I think he'll be gone before the Leafs pick, but if he's not, I can't see Burke passing on what he offers.

Analyzer*

just looked him up, 5'10 185lbs is he actually powerforward? or is he a tuomo ruutu type guy? or are those measurements really old?

Mike Richards, Brendan Morrow, Dustin Brown, Cal Clutterbuck, and others are 5'10 ish. Big hitters and can score.

You don't need to be 6'2 220 to be a power forward. You need to be ferocious and a feared hitter with skill.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Forgive me for using stats but this Biggs guy likely barely improves on his pre-draft-year season in the USHL with the UNDTP, with 7 points in 14 games; 11 points in 28 games last year. In comparison, a guy like Ambroz was a 50 point player in the same league last year, and likely matches that this one. Am I looking too far into this? Maybe he's just the latest movie of the week, much like Ambroz was rated as a top-five player to begin the season?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
just looked him up, 5'10 185lbs is he actually powerforward? or is he a tuomo ruutu type guy? or are those measurements really old?

Last measurements have been made aroung WJC and he is 5'11 198lbs there. Hes very strong, loves playing at dirty areas, can pass very well and score goals. He have been very confident after scoring like 3 or 4 points in 4 games in wjc(he was 13th foward beginning of the tournament) posted 7 or 8 points in last 12 games in FEL. Heres a video from salomäki http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGps_qOPuTE&feature=player_embedded . Hes my favourite 2011 prospect :P

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Forgive me for using stats but this Biggs guy likely barely improves on his pre-draft-year season in the USHL with the UNDTP, with 7 points in 14 games; 11 points in 28 games last year. In comparison, a guy like Ambroz was a 50 point player in the same league last year, and likely matches that this one. Am I looking too far into this? Maybe he's just the latest movie of the week, much like Ambroz was rated as a top-five player to begin the season?

When you combine Biggs USHL stats with his international and college games stats, he has 14 goals and 9 assists in 44 games.

IkeaMonkey*

Isn't Ambroz supposed to have some balance/strength issues?

Yes. But don't take it from posters who have seen the kid a dozen plus times in the USHL. Just listen to the ones who read internet reports. He's just fine.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Yes. But don't take it from posters who have seen the kid a dozen plus times in the USHL. Just listen to the ones who read internet reports. He's just fine.
Not really sure what you're trying to imply here, aside from the fact you have no clue where people get their information. The posters on this board -- the threads are easy to find -- who do claim to have watched Ambroz this year and last are the ones saying he has strength and balance issues. Playing at a lesser level. But, oh, he's "just fine", is he? That explains a lot about his game, thanks for that glib summary. I can extract tons of information from that detailed review. Good work!

IkeaMonkey*

Not really sure what you're trying to imply here, aside from the fact you have no clue where people get their information. The posters on this board -- the threads are easy to find -- who do claim to have watched Ambroz this year and last are the ones saying he has strength and balance issues. Playing at a lesser level. But, oh, he's "just fine", is he? That explains a lot about his game, thanks for that glib summary. I can extract tons of information from that detailed review. Good work!

Look at the Seth Ambroz thread. A bunch of Western Canadians talking about how awesome he is. Yet me and another poster, from Omaha(who actually see the kid play on a weekly basis), clearly saying he's not where he's supposed to be. People just comment based on scouting reports rather than actually watching the players play around here nowadays. It's rather annoying.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Look at the Seth Ambroz thread. A bunch of Western Canadians talking about how awesome he is. Yet me and another poster, from Omaha(who actually see the kid play on a weekly basis), clearly saying he's not where he's supposed to be. People just comment based on scouting reports rather than actually watching the players play around here nowadays. It's rather annoying.
Ahhh, so you're saying you were one of those saying he's not as talented as most assume? I misread the sarcasm, then. I thought you were saying those issues didn't exist.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

Based on what I have seen recently, Biggs will be NHL player for sure but more probably in role of checker than top 6 forward. He is not smart and instinctive enough to be more than checker. Very tough, good hands, hits hard, solid skater, excellent shot but I don´t see much hockey sense.
That´s my opinion.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
For a team that wants to draft a good future power forward then they should take a look at Ben Thomson of Kitchener. (6'-4", 206lbs and growing)
His numbers may not jump out at you but IMHO they will sky-rocket next year.
He may be the best forward for puck control along the boards in the OHL.

CR15

Feb 15, 2010
Windsor
For a team that wants to draft a good future power forward then they should take a look at Ben Thomson of Kitchener. (6'-4", 206lbs and growing)
His numbers may not jump out at you but IMHO they will sky-rocket next year.
He may be the best forward for puck control along the boards in the OHL.

I think a mid round pick on him would be a solid investment for sure.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Who is the toughest of all these guys? None of them seem like that great f fighters. Biggs has a total of 3 fights this season, not really enough for me to consider him a realy tough power forward. Jenner isn't much of a fighter, Colin Jacobs only has one this season.

So are all these guys just big hitters who dont fight much or what? Who are the Kassians and Lucic's of this draft that can play the role of enforcer or score some goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad