GDT: #01 | New Jersey Devils vs. New York Islanders | Jan 19 | L 1-2

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I wish we could play again and get right at it.

I am so sick of losing to the ****ing boring Devils. Watching the Devils is like watching paint dry. Why can't we beat this ****ing team!!!!

God it's so infuriating. I am sick of them!

because they have a system in place, and we seemingly don't.

Our system seems to be, carry or dump the puck in, maybe get a shot on goal, give it up quickly, and then skate back to our blue line and just keep skating back giving the opposition plenty of room to come into our zone & set up.

Blue Dot

F0rsbergFan21
Oct 15, 2006
Okposo is not a first liner. He is a good 2nd or 3rd line player.

That 1st line wing spot needs to go to someone like Boyes (A contract year talent) or Bailey (carry the puck in / playmaking wing)

Boyes has been done for about 4 years.

I did a break down of his last season in STL and the points he scored. Out of them, for fast sum up, like 7 game in meaningful games or spots. so even though his season point totals looks decent, most of them came in blow out games where you easily could assume the other team let up some.

anyway, maybe he has something left and just mentally was out of it and could not get going. i def don't think he brings more to the first line than Okposo.

imho

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils do a really good job at shutting down the top players from the other teams. They always have under DeBoer. In the playoffs last year, Versteeg, Fleischmann, Weiss, Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Gaborik, Richards, and Hagelin all were held to 2 points or less even strength in their respective series. The top lines for each of the teams we played.

I just have to ask, with the shoddy depth of the Isles, why aren't Niederreiter, Donovan, or Nelson playing?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I just have to ask, with the shoddy depth of the Isles, why aren't Niederreiter, Donovan, or Nelson playing?

Imo the isles would rather go with older players in the 48 game sprint, then the growing pains of 20-22 yr olds.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...5min&feed:c=islanders&feed:i=1.4443120&part=1
Nino Niederreiter had seemed to earn a shot at making the Isles for this 48-game season, and the 2010 No. 5 pick scored two more goals for Bridgeport Sunday afternoon, giving him a team-high 19 for the Sound Tigers in 37 games. But Snow opted to bring forwards Casey Cizikas, Colin McDonald and David Ullstrom up for the big club's camp. "It's an opportunity for him to continue playing different roles -- power play, PK, playing 20-plus minutes a night," Snow said. "It's more conducive for him to be there at this point in time."

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Imo the isles would rather go with older players in the 48 game sprint, then the growing pains of 20-22 yr olds.

http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infom...5min&feed:c=islanders&feed:i=1.4443120&part=1
Nino Niederreiter had seemed to earn a shot at making the Isles for this 48-game season, and the 2010 No. 5 pick scored two more goals for Bridgeport Sunday afternoon, giving him a team-high 19 for the Sound Tigers in 37 games. But Snow opted to bring forwards Casey Cizikas, Colin McDonald and David Ullstrom up for the big club's camp. "It's an opportunity for him to continue playing different roles -- power play, PK, playing 20-plus minutes a night," Snow said. "It's more conducive for him to be there at this point in time."

Isles finally learned a lesson...

It's team is terrible and having Niño get all that valuable time in BST is soooooooo much more valuable to him and the Isles long term.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I forgot to mention in The Bad part of my summary that Okposo looked like garbage. I don't know what it is about him but he seems to have an attitude or motivation problem the past two seasons because he comes into the season looking like **** and like he doesn't have a care in the world. I say if he doesn't rebound next game, bench his ass and send him the same message we sent him last season. I love KO but his effort and his game shape really pissed me off last night. Looks like he has been swallowing cigarettes and playing video games the whole lockout.

are we back to the message speculation and jokes, about Okposo chewing tabacco or smoking :laugh:

Mirasty91

Oct 23, 2010
New York
Does anybody else think that our offensive strategy is terrible? I mean, we carry it to the blueline, dump it in, and half the time, don't even get the puck. Then, when we actually carry the puck into the zone, we have these terrible passes or just make stupid plays. What's going on?

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Does anybody else think that our offensive strategy is terrible? I mean, we carry it to the blueline, dump it in, and half the time, don't even get the puck. Then, when we actually carry the puck into the zone, we have these terrible passes or just make stupid plays. What's going on?

Yeah I am not a fan for the dump and chase but when done the right way it's very effective

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Very disappointed with Okposo. He very much looked like a guy that didn't lace up the skates much if at all during the offseason/lockout. He was slow.... displayed poor agility and couldn't keep up with the play.

Also sorry to say that I think JT picked up some bad habits playing in Europe. Between last night and the blue/white scrimmage.... I'd seen him attempt that stupid no-look-spin-o-backhand-pass at least 3 times. That garbage don't fly at this level..... I've seen Streit do it in the past, and now I know where it comes from. I've got faith that JT will adjust though.

Carkner was slow, and made some poor passes in his own zone (soft passes that were intercepted). Confounding that the coaching staff sat both Martinek and Hickey for this one.... maybe it's just my opinion, but I'd want a defenseman out there capable of a strong outlet pass to break the trap. It certainly hurt them last night.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

As opposed to what, having all our skill players dangle in and out of defenders while crossing the blueline? Oh wait, we need skilled players first.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Dump/chase is basically the only way you're going to gain the zone and create offense against the Devils. You just have to make sure to keep it away from Brodeur and win the puck battles.

IslesBeBack*

I recommend some of you watch some hockey games. This season isn't going to go the way people predicted it would. Philadelphia looks like trash, absolute trash. Outside of Hartnell and Giroux, they are struggling to find offense too.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I recommend some of you watch some hockey games. This season isn't going to go the way people predicted it would. Philadelphia looks like trash, absolute trash. Outside of Hartnell and Giroux, they are struggling to find offense too.

Yup some powerhouse teams look a lot worse

Mirasty91

Oct 23, 2010
New York
As opposed to what, having all our skill players dangle in and out of defenders while crossing the blueline? Oh wait, we need skilled players first.

I'm not saying I hate the dump and chase, but come on, we barely EVER retrieve the puck. And when we do, our passes are ****. And I'm not just talking about against the Devils last night, I'm just using that game as an example since it's all we have to go by right now. Well, here's to hoping we can actually complete a decent pass in the offensive zone tomorrow....

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Devils do a really good job at shutting down the top players from the other teams. They always have under DeBoer. In the playoffs last year, Versteeg, Fleischmann, Weiss, Giroux, Jagr, Hartnell, Gaborik, Richards, and Hagelin all were held to 2 points or less even strength in their respective series. The top lines for each of the teams we played.

Because giving yourself a small outside shot at being above 500 in 2012-13 is not more important than the development of those 3 players.

though I do feel that Donovan is ready for a full time role. But I really like that Nino & Nelson have remained down there.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I think that we saw last night was the "tough" line up...

I was expecting a fight or two with that lineup, but all I saw was 6'8" Joe Finley getting pushed around like he was Kyle Okposo, and Boulton skating in quicksand.

Cizikas is going to bring some hustle tomorrow afternoon and I'm looking forward to it.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Anyone else notice Hamonic jumping into the play a bit more then normal? I think this year he takes the next step and starts to chip in a bit more on offense. We need it from our d and its good to see one of our top defensive guys noticing that and chipping in. He has some offensive upside so it's good to see. He still played a great defensive game as well.

Yes, I noticed last night also. As long as he can do it and still be responsible defensively I'm okay with him jumping into the play.

I was pissed at the booing of Rick DiPietro, just because he has had injuries and and management sucks is no reason to take it out on him. This guy is a human being and has feelings too. He bleeds orange and blue. I thought it was pathetic and an extremely classless move. Also, do people think about what can happen from that. If Charles Wang doesn't buy him out, we could be stuck with him and he could just not retire just to stick it to the fans for being *******s to him.

I think the booing is misplaced. The booing should be directed at Wang, not DP. This guy has broken his butt to try and get into some form of game shape so that he can play the game he really loves. I for one don't fault him for that. These guys put so much into being a high level player and due to injury DP has had any potential for a great career snatched away. For that I do feel bad for him. He's not the goalie he was. I think he knows it, Wang knows it, Snow knows it, the fans know it. I expect him to be bought out this or next summer. Don't be surprised if we see one of the Bridgeport goalies become a starter next year while DP backups until he is bought out.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Yes, I noticed last night also. As long as he can do it and still be responsible defensively I'm okay with him jumping into the play.

I think the booing is misplaced. The booing should be directed at Wang, not DP. This guy has broken his butt to try and get into some form of game shape so that he can play the game he really loves. I for one don't fault him for that. These guys put so much into being a high level player and due to injury DP has had any potential for a great career snatched away. For that I do feel bad for him. He's not the goalie he was. I think he knows it, Wang knows it, Snow knows it, the fans know it. I expect him to be bought out this or next summer. Don't be surprised if we see one of the Bridgeport goalies become a starter next year while DP backups until he is bought out.

I agree, the booing is for Wang but this could be the only way to try and send a message. Brooks had something in today's Post but it's his one yearly shot at Wang and not nearly enough. Wang has no pressure on him to run a class operation. The Islanders get laughed at around the league and it's all self inflicted. This year Visnovski does not want to play here, last year it was Christian Erhoff.
This is no accident.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Isles finally learned a lesson...

It's team is terrible and having Niño get all that valuable time in BST is soooooooo much more valuable to him and the Isles long term.

Learned a lesson or realized cap hits have changed so they're forced to let them develop like a winner would.

I'm thrilled. Strome, Nino, Reinhart.....they have a chance Bailey, Nino and others DID NOT HAVE.

A chance to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad