GDT: 01/09/14 - Minnesota Wild @ Phoenix Coyotes - 8pm CST - FS-North, FS-Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree that Koivu should have more ice time. But not over 20 minutes. We have 4 lines and depth. Yeo can utilize them better if he's this big of advocate of adjusting the lines before and even during the game now.

And if that is the case, I'm 100% content with it. Even doing so with Parise and Koivu. Start them on the top line and as the game progresses, split them up to increase scoring depth across all 4 lines and make the team make on-the-fly adjustments. It is what Bowman and JQ have done in the past to effectively score. We honestly have great resources, just needs to be harnessed a little better. I think Yeo is maybe starting to do this a little bit more.
Right now Yeo is making lines with what he has and by splitting the GranNinoVille line, he's spreading the wealth. We won't know if he's learned anything or not until both Mikko and Parise are back and see if he is FINALLY willing to split them up at all. My guess will be no.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
The thing that really bothered me tonight is the Sam as last game and that is our top pp unit having hwatley and coyle and then having coyle take draws over granlund. Coyle is horrible in the dot and I don't think won one o zone draw on the pp.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Right now Yeo is making lines with what he has and by splitting the GranNinoVille line, he's spreading the wealth. We won't know if he's learned anything or not until both Mikko and Parise are back and see if he is FINALLY willing to split them up at all. My guess will be no.

Sadly I'm inclined to agree with you my friend. They are two of the three figureheads of this franchise. Both are fierce competitors and want to play (and score) against the best players. I understand that, but with how we are at ES....that is going to be a problem if this team makes the playoffs. You don't want to bank on PP goals as the reason you win 4 out of 7 games.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Either a Positive or Negative comment that one of the Journalist just asked Yeo about:

Fontaine is now 3rd on the teams with goals with 10.

Positive
Outside of a few games, Fontaine is the 3rd line depth player who is potting in the goals for this team and appears to have some good chemistry with Cooke and Brodziak again

Negative
The 3rd most goals on this team is 1) only 10, 2) coming from the 3rd line over players like Granlund/Nino/Koivu/Coyle right now

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I thought Coyle looked preety good tonight, considering hes being looked upon as the #1 center or 1A center. He didn't seem afraid to be a little creative/dangle in the zone and make room for others, atleast in the 3rd.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey

I actually feel like Parise-Koivu work well together, the problem is because we don't have 3 lines that can score and really on most nights 2, everyone can zero in on them to stop them defensively.

If the Wild ever get to 3 lines, and maybe when they come back if they keep Coyle a C and Fontaine keeps going well with Cooke we finally get there, I think you'd see Parise-Koivu be more effective.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I actually feel like Parise-Koivu work well together, the problem is because we don't have 3 lines that can score and really on most nights 2, everyone can zero in on them to stop them defensively.

If the Wild ever get to 3 lines, and maybe when they come back if they keep Coyle a C and Fontaine keeps going well with Cooke we finally get there, I think you'd see Parise-Koivu be more effective.

I'll say the same as I said earlier when someone said they work well together... they CAN play well together, but the problem is they tend to get into a grinding mentality when they do, thus lessen their effectiveness.

They both play such a similar game, that when one starts grinding it out, so does the other, then you lose all creativity.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
Either a Positive or Negative comment that one of the Journalist just asked Yeo about:

Fontaine is now 3rd on the teams with goals with 10.

Positive
Outside of a few games, Fontaine is the 3rd line depth player who is potting in the goals for this team and appears to have some good chemistry with Cooke and Brodziak again

Negative
The 3rd most goals on this team is 1) only 10, 2) coming from the 3rd line over players like Granlund/Nino/Koivu/Coyle right now

11 goals

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I'll say the same as I said earlier when someone said they work well together... they CAN play well together, but the problem is they tend to get into a grinding mentality when they do, thus lessen their effectiveness.

They both play such a similar game, that when one starts grinding it out, so does the other, then you lose all creativity.

Funny cause I normally hate it when Koivu gets over creative because he sends all these crazy *** passes that either get picked off or go way out of the zone. Haha. Yes though, they need someone who could create more on that line with them, although Coyle still works well with Parise for some reason.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Funny cause I normally hate it when Koivu gets over creative because he sends all these crazy *** passes that either get picked off or go way out of the zone. Haha. Yes though, they need someone who could create more on that line with them, although Coyle still works well with Parise for some reason.

Coyle is just another grind it out type player too.

Parise needs a creative center, Koivu needs creative wingers.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
When Parise and Koivu return, I think the lines need to be more balanced. Forget about who is on what line, chemistry is more important. Forget about having a 3rd checking line, let's assemble 4 scoring lines and 4 lines that play well together.

That's the finnish way and it works, like we all saw in WJC :nod:

And please God take Heatley as far away from Granlund as possible. He definitely ruins Granny's game!

BTW, hello to you all, been a long time reader of this forum :handclap:

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
That's the finnish way and it works, like we all saw in WJC :nod:

And please God take Heatley as far away from Granlund as possible. He definitely ruins Granny's game!

BTW, hello to you all, been a long time reader of this forum :handclap:

They don't play on the same line and Heatley has this crazy touch to drag every line with him..

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Sorry, disagree here. Mikko is still better than Granlund on ES. We need Koivu's two-way play and playmaking. Granlund is a better PP player though (maybe the best on the team), so in PP time he should have more icetime than Kaptain.

Agree. PP started move puck much better when Granny was running it. Mikko is fine player, but MiG has way better vision of the game. And much better hands, too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Does we have one?

Granlund = creative center.

Pommer = creative winger

Nino and Zucker both CAN be creative at times as well. Nino more often than Zucker.

Though due to MiG's lack of size, I'd rather Nino with Parise and Granlund than with Koivu and Pommer. JMO

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Wow didn't expect a win tonight and it was nice to see Fonzy get the hat trick after I was ready to send him to the minors from my comfy living room sofa...

Thought Blum played quite well in his first game for us.

The 1st and 3rd lines were good again tonight.

Heatley continues to look worse and worse. When, if ever will Yeo actually get the balls to get this guy a permanent spot in the press boxes?

Brodin not on the first pp unit and Poms playing the point still makes zero sense to me.

And good for Backstrom to get another win, I sure didn't expect a 39 save performance from him, but I'll take it.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Wow didn't expect a win tonight and it was nice to see Fonzy get the hat trick after I was ready to send him to the minors from my comfy living room sofa...

Thought Blum played quite well in his first game for us.

The 1st and 3rd lines were good again tonight.

Heatley continues to look worse and worse. When, if ever will Yeo actually get the balls to get this guy a permanent spot in the press boxes?

Brodin not on the first pp unit and Poms playing the point still makes zero sense to me.

And good for Backstrom to get another win, I sure didn't expect a 39 save performance from him, but I'll take it.

"When you are looking at the stats, it's not like he is the worst guy there, he still has 8 goals"

Mike Yeo
#Yeolo
#Swag

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm going to act like it's a no brainer that we'll lose in a disaster, like I did with the Kings game, so that I'm pleasantly surprised if anything else happens. :D

mental-five.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad