GDT: 01/09/14 - Minnesota Wild @ Phoenix Coyotes - 8pm CST - FS-North, FS-Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheInstigator

Nov 7, 2013
Granlund = creative center.

Pommer = creative winger

Nino and Zucker both CAN be creative at times as well. Nino more often than Zucker.

Though due to MiG's lack of size, I'd rather Nino with Parise and Granlund than with Koivu and Pommer. JMO

I like where this is going. When healthy:

Parise - Granlund - Nino
Zucker - Koivu - Pominville
Cooke - Coyle - Fontaine
Veilleux - Brodziak - Mitchell
Heatley - Bicardi - Co-eds

It's a departure from what we've seen but it plays to each players strengths.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I like where this is going. When healthy:

Parise - Granlund - Nino
Zucker - Koivu - Pominville
Cooke - Coyle - Fontaine
Veilleux - Brodziak - Mitchell
Heatley - Bicardi - Co-eds

It's a departure from what we've seen but it plays to each players strengths.

As long as Yeo is here, we don't gonna have a #1 and #1b lines..

Btw. i haven't been able to watch the game yet, so how did Nino, Coyle, Granlund and Zucker do?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Fontaine scoring the hatty was probably the most exciting moment watching the Wild in years for me. So great to see. The kid has some talent and needs more ice time.

Before we get too excited, need to remember that they've been outshot 130-88 with a 17% shooting percentage and 95.4% save percentage. Neither of those numbers are going to hold up for long.

But I did see some good things. For whatever reason, the third line was driving to the scoring areas and getting rewarded. That's something the Parise-Koivu line never does. Haula looked good too, which is very comforting given the team's depth at center. Brodin looked very good.

Still not liking Coyle in the NHL right now. Not producing. Especially paired up with Heatley. Pominville is on an island right now. Also, Pominville at the point was not good at all.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Fontaine scoring the hatty was probably the most exciting moment watching the Wild in years for me. So great to see. The kid has some talent and needs more ice time.

Before we get too excited, need to remember that they've been outshot 130-88 with a 17% shooting percentage and 95.4% save percentage. Neither of those numbers are going to hold up for long.

But I did see some good things. For whatever reason, the third line was driving to the scoring areas and getting rewarded. That's something the Parise-Koivu line never does. Haula looked good too, which is very comforting given the team's depth at center. Brodin looked very good.

Still not liking Coyle in the NHL right now. Not producing. Especially paired up with Heatley. Pominville is on an island right now. Also, Pominville at the point was not good at all.

Gotta say that Fontaine is a strange player. He can be invisible a most of the game and then score. Im not saying that he was invisible last game, but he don't really do any flashy plays so you don't always spot him before he scores.

I gotta agree with Russo, that he don't really have a change to be top-6 player on this team because all the player's we have, but he is a great third liner who can add some secondary scoring.
I would give him a small two year contract..

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think he's an ideal third liner. The difference between him and say Mitchell is that Fontaine has a pair of hands. He doesn't make flashy plays and yeah, you don't want to trick yourself into thinking he's a top six guy, but he goes to the scoring areas, can handle passes cleanly (looking at you Brodz), and has a decent shot. He also has speed and is not a liability out there.

He would also be the first guy I bump into the top six with injuries and I'd like to see what he can do with increased ice time and maybe some PP time.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Speaking of PP time, i have to say that im gonna be dissapointed if they move Granlund out of that top unit when Parise come's back.
I seriously don't know why Yeo don't already switch Coyle and Nino on that top unit. They have a same role on PP and other is running hot and other not.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Speaking of PP time, i have to say that im gonna be dissapointed if they move Granlund out of that top unit when Parise come's back.
I seriously don't know why Yeo don't already switch Coyle and Nino on that top unit. They have a same role on PP and other is running hot and other not.
Coyle and Heater both out. Nino and brodin in. pommers gets off the point and back to playing around the circles.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Blum played fairly well last night (amazingly well compared to Ballard), was very happy about that. Coyle did generate a few chances last night too, he just couldn't finish. Pominville was the same way, couple chances and just missed by ringing the bar. Nino played well again and I'm excited to see him get more used to the game with his size (he kind of flails about alot). Nino is going to be VERY good I believe. I think all things considered we're going to see alot of these "dirty" wins with our goalies continuing to play solid positionally. The lone goal Backs gave up just seemed like a complete accident but overall he was FANTASTIC last night. It's really really good to see him coming back to his old self. Puck possession is going to hound us until we get Koivu and Parise back I feel, especially Koivu.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I think it would be awesome if Nino-Granlund-Pominville line could be that line you don't have to break. If they keep all those players in Minnesota that line could be together years, just imagine what kind of chemistry they could create.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

That is what happens when your top scoring line is out there against top scoring lines. They end up playing defense more than they end up playing offense. And when they do eventually get into the offensive zone, it is along the boards and they are gassed by the end of it. If people can get over this "omg you can't do that to the player!" mentality and run the lines deeper, they will have a way better chance at scoring and getting mismatches. The two issues with that though are 1) is Haula ready to play Top 6 center with Parise or 2) Do you move Koivu or Parise down and not mess up the chemistry with your 2nd line in the process?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yep...Coyle has one goal, one assist on the PP this year. Gotta keep him on that top unit.

Well you also have the balance out the lines so they both have equal footing at scoring goals. Remember at the beginning of the year they were going

Parise-Koivu-Pommer-Heater-Suter

and the 2nd

Granlund-Coyle-Nino-Spurgeon-Brodin

When you've lost 3 players off your PP lines, you need to balance it out

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The problem is, that second unit rarely gets pp time. You want your best pp players getting the most pp minutes to maximize pp results.

Moving Koivu to the second unit with Coyle Fontaine/Zucker, with Spurgeon at the point still gives them decent tools, while making that top unit much MUCH better!

Parise - Granlund - Pominville/Nino
Suter - Pominville/Brodin

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The problem is, that second unit rarely gets pp time. You want your best pp players getting the most pp minutes to maximize pp results.

Moving Koivu to the second unit with Coyle Fontaine/Zucker, with Spurgeon at the point still gives them decent tools, while making that top unit much MUCH better!

Parise - Granlund - Pominville/Nino
Suter - Pominville/Brodin
I agree. Granlund is dangerous on the PP. Koivu is just ok.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Fontaine basically sealed the deal on a contract extension last night with his performance. Glad to see him doing well.

Last edited:

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Notes from what I saw at the game last night:
Heatley looks worse in person. He's a turnover machine, and he rarely goes to the net on the PP. I think he hurts the team more than he helps.

Coyle: Pretty much hardly noticed him besides the penalty he drew. He seems to disappear for most of the game.

Nino: Exactly what we have come to expect. Gritty kid who just loves to play hockey.

Zucker: Shows some flashes of talent and makes some mistakes. Needs to get stronger. Met him before the game at the hotel, nice kid.

Granny: Again, flashes of special talent, but really needs to continue to add some muscle as he's on the ice quite a bit. He hustles a lot more than I expected, he's all over the place and skates really well.

Fontaine: Not much to say, had a hatty. Great bottom 6 player.

Brodz: Yep, he's not very good either.

Backs: Kept us in the game, made some huge saves. Saw him in the hotel too, but didn't want to bother him as he looked like he was focusing.

Brodin/Suter: So smooth with and without the puck. Logged a ton of minutes, they both play more physical than what I've noticed on TV as well.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I think something comes up.

Overall had a great experience at the rink. I was fortunate to stay in the same hotel as the team. Ran into Zucks and Backs, saw Brodin as well. This morning when I checked out I ran into Boudreau. There is tons to do within walking distance of the arena, if you get the chance to check out a game, I would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad