Post-Game Talk: “You’re My Favourite Mistake” Oilers tank game 81 to let AZ close this franchise with a W

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Yeah honestly I'm gonna be a villain here and just say it: I sympathize with their fans(honestly maybe the most dedicated considering all they dealt with) but as shitty as it is, the organization and NHL had 28 years to get it together. Nothing against the fans at all but the org was a tire fire and this was overdue. It's not wrong to call it as it is.

Yeah exactly.

Of course it would suck for the fans. I get that entirely.

but people in here acting like we should feel bad or are "classless" for feeling otherwise are weird.

I'm not a fan of the team and therefore my stance on the Coyotes remains ever the same. Even when they still existed: I simply do not care.

I'm not out here relishing the fact that they are no more, but I also don't feel a thing.

Throw in the fact that the writing has been on the wall for as long as it has and it hardly even feels like a story.

And the one Yotes fan in here and the GDT basically trolling/saying "YOU'D CARE IF IT WERE YOUR TEAM!". Like... yeah man. No shit. And? go reminiscence with your people, bro. Not sure the point you are trying to make even needs to be made.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I wonder how betting houses can work with a league that manages games to get the results they want.
Like betting on a fixed sport. Gambling for money on a fixed sport is illegal and I believe even criminal where gambling is legal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah honestly I'm gonna be a villain here and just say it: I sympathize with their fans(honestly maybe the most dedicated considering all they dealt with) but as shitty as it is, the organization and NHL had 28 years to get it together. Nothing against the fans at all but the org was a tire fire and this was overdue. It's not wrong to call it as it is.
I think it's reasonable to say that hockey didn't work in Arizona and that the team should have been moved while also feeling bad for the diehard Arizona fans that you saw with tears in their eyes after the game. It's never fun to watch fans lose sports teams, for people to lose jobs etc.

The move was long overdue and it was an embarrassment for the league but it does suck for their fans who were dedicated to the team, last night I couldn't help but to think about what it felt like for me and many others around here (especially those of you who live in Edmonton) when the Nordiques and Jets moved and it seemed inevitable for many years from the mid 90s to early 00s that the Oilers would too so I feel for them.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Arizona is one of the biggest markets in America. With an actual good owner and team they could thrive there.
why? it's not a hockey market. it will never be a hockey market, and why should it be? those people don't give a f*** about hockey. they never will.

haven't they gown the game enough for you yet? you want to squeeze another team into florida?

aiming for 40 years without a canadian cup? hockey isn't canada's game anymore. do you understand how many generations of canadians have been alienated from hockey while bettman has been the commissioner?

maybe vancouver will win it all this year. haha look at calgary, no playoffs for them. fanboys, pump up your team. let's go!
sounds more like edmonton than arizona.
I wonder how betting houses can work with a league that manages games to get the results they want.
Like betting on a fixed sport. Gambling for money on a fixed sport is illegal and I believe even criminal where gambling is legal.
it didn't take long for gambling and the nhl to become synonymous once the littlest gangster got vegas in the fold.
I made the mistake of watching the Sportsnet broadcast. I should have known it would be a 2.5 hour Coyote love-in. I was waiting for slow-motion video of Louie's greatest moments on ice there, with a violin soundtrack.
fatso boy debrusk doing his dick helicopter routine.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Edmonton has perennially spent to the cap since it was introduced. The Coyotes have perennially had to take on dead contracts to reach the cap floor because it turns out their owners have been too cheap to even pay the team's hotel bills.
cool

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The east matchups have already been locked in for days and the west matchups won't be known until potentially the last second of the season. It shouldn't be a surprise that they'll start later.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Edmonton has perennially spent to the cap since it was introduced. The Coyotes have perennially had to take on dead contracts to reach the cap floor because it turns out their owners have been too cheap to even pay the team's hotel bills.
Atlanta was similar with shitty ownership. The NHL continues to find the absolute worst owners for their teams.

Reactions: AT14C

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Arizona is one of the biggest markets in America. With an actual good owner and team they could thrive there.
I disagree. The last year where they were actually a good team (2011-12) and finished first in the Pacific division, they were still last in the league in attendance with just 12,000 people or so with bought and paid tickets out of a 17K or 18K arena.

Before they moved out to Glendale, they shared an arena with the Suns so looking at average attendance numbers between the two teams, they weren’t close either. Picking two random seasons, (98-99) the Coyotes were still an okay team finishing third in the Pacific and had an average attendance of 15,500. The Suns averaged 18,462. In their last season sharing an arena (02-03), the Coyotes started to struggle as a team. Attendance dropped to just under 14,000 while the Suns were up near 20K and were barely a playoff team. Hell, the first year the Coyotes were there in 96-97, they were 20th out of 26 teams in attendance, the following season-still a bottom 10 team in the league in paid attendance. That’s pretty shitty for a new professional sports team in town.

Americans that far south heard names like “Shaq” or “Kobe” or “Lebron”, they’d flock. When they heard names like “Wayne”, “Mario” or “Jaromir” they went “who??”.

The NHL should never set foot in Arizona ever again as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Whats the obsession with the NHL and Arizona? I know in theory they figure snowbirds will support the club but that doesn't happen, and isn't realistic. Snowbirds coming from Western Canada already have their favorite home side. They ain't changing, and a quarter Century says they aren't attending.

You can't bank on just OOT buying tickets. Not even in Vegas is that the sole plan.

One of the biggest markets and population centers in the US, which makes Bettman giddy. Doesn’t really have anything to do with hockey.

Atlanta is probably the same.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Say what you want about Katz in terms of hiring qualified hockey people and he has failed in this respect more times than not but he's been a very good owner in terms of running the Edmonton Oilers business. Winning the McLottery certainly helped that along but the Oilers who were once what Arizona currently is are now one of the most profitable franchises in the league mostly thanks to Katz.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Atlanta was similar with shitty ownership. The NHL continues to find the absolute worst owners for their teams.
Those shitty billionaires who don’t know how to play with their toys correctly eh Keith. You really should go watch the wnba.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
He ain’t scoring 20 again.

guy scores 20 riding shotgun with draisaitl (mostly against bottom feeders), and people think hes irreplaceable. So invisible in so many tight games this year. hes bigger and faster than yamo but dumber and less tenacious. he would have been an ideal candidate for an upgrade at tdl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad