News Article: “Why Did Bruins Fans Dislike Danton Heinen So Much?”

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Good player. Missing a quarter step in speed and acceleration to leverage his smarts and stick to the best of his ability. Because of that minor lack of foot speed he always came across as a safe player as opposed to a possession driving player.

As I stated in his first go-around, he reminded me of PJ Axelsson with the smarts and stick work. Just like PJ, missed a quarter step of speed and 15 pounds to play a more aggressive but "safe" game. He would look better at C imo. Too bad they didn't groom him for that as he would be a Krejci "lite" IMO...

If he can find that speed he can be a 50+ point guy for the next 10 years in the NHL IMO and definite plus player during his tenure. He's not as slippery as Reilly, so will need to work on the skating to carve out a place in the middle 6 long term.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Bruins fans have always liked guys who try hard every night. Too many nights he may have been trying in his own mind, but it didn’t seem like it to the ordinary observer. If a guy plays “light”, then Bruins fans expect to see consistent production. Danton didn’t provide that for us on too many nights and too often displayed stone hands. His play for us belied his ability, I think. I expect him to do well with his new team. Some players are just better fits on different teams. Happens in companies; happens in relationships; happens in sports.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Good player. Missing a quarter step in speed and acceleration to leverage his smarts and stick to the best of his ability. Because of that minor lack of foot speed he always came across as a safe player as opposed to a possession driving player.

As I stated in his first go-around, he reminded me of PJ Axelsson with the smarts and stick work. Just like PJ, missed a quarter step of speed and 15 pounds to play a more aggressive but "safe" game. He would look better at C imo. Too bad they didn't groom him for that as he would be a Krejci "lite" IMO...

If he can find that speed he can be a 50+ point guy for the next 10 years in the NHL IMO and definite plus player during his tenure. He's not as slippery as Reilly, so will need to work on the skating to carve out a place in the middle 6 long term.
PJ tried his arse off, every game.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
My issue with Heinen was his perceived lack of intensity. It always seemed, regardless of the game he was playing, he had only one gear in that regard. Whether he was playing a preseason game in September or game 7 of the cup final, he played the game the same way with the same effort and same intensity.

Reactions: Strafer and Toe

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
@sarge88 You and I have had this conversation before, but one of the most interesting parts of Heinen discussion/debate is how it represents the two general "types" of hockey fans. I hate using the term new or old school because I think that puts a negative spin on it, but that's how many people seem to classify it. It's the eye test vs. analytics. It's toughness & physicality versus skill & speed. Truthfully, what it really does is pigeonhole fans into a certain viewpoint. There's this idea that you can't look at things both ways. I think analytics rounds out the evaluation of a player, but I understand there are plenty of people who don't, and I realize that it's an effort in futility to attempt to convince others to view things the same way I do.

Now, there are certain parts of your argument that I vehemently disagree with, but there's really no need to rehash them here. For Marvel fans, the Heinen debate feels like Dr. Strange and Dormammu stuck in an endless timeloop having the same conversation over and over again.

All I'll say is that I appreciate the courage of your convictions (and every other poster's) because without it, this place would be pretty boring. I'd also spend a lot more time doing my actual work, and who really wants to do that?

I'd by lying if I didn't say that the "fight" for lack of a better word, is part of the fun.

There's nothing more fun than ribbing friends or relatives about the plusses and minuses of a player or team that they like, but you don't.

Reactions: Strafer

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
My issue with Heinen was his perceived lack of intensity. It always seemed, regardless of the game he was playing, he had only one gear in that regard. Whether he was playing a preseason game in September or game 7 of the cup final, he played the game the same way with the same effort and same intensity.
When it's all said and done, this is pretty much my take as well. I don't think he was the type of guy who would "do whatever it took to win" - I feel like the Heinen you saw in December is the same one you'd see April on.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
I was rooting for Heinen to succeed here. I was a big Axelsson fan, and Danton seems to have similar smarts.

This is kind of a weird metric, but to me he never seemed to put together performances that would make him a candidate for "three stars of the night." He was a good player that didn't have any great games.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Isnt it a good thing that he plays the same way with the same intensity though? If a guy "turns it up for stretches" then wouldn't that indicate he isnt giving you everything hes got game in and game out?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I was hoping for Heinen to have a breakout season but it never happened

I got tired of watching him just going through the motions and looking disinterested most games

The kid has talent but lacks heart

I wish him all the best in Anaheim

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Isnt it a good thing that he plays the same way with the same intensity though? If a guy "turns it up for stretches" then wouldn't that indicate he isnt giving you everything hes got game in and game out?

I really don’t think it’s possible to give it 100% for 82 games plus playoffs....for anyone,

Reactions: Strafer

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
.5 PPG for a guy that was mostly used as a 3rd liner is not enough? The great Chris Kreider who many here were willing to sell the farm to acquire is a .6 ppg player, and less than that in the playoffs and he is a consisten top 6 guy. Danton brought value to the game and to the team beyond ppg. I still think it was a good trade for the Bruins to make, but they moved him for basically a guy who "doesn't produce enough" himself by that measure.

He put up 22 points in 58 games for the Bruins this year (.379/gm) so if he is a .5ppg player he was really not playing up to standard this season.

Last year he put up 34 points in 77 games (.442/gm) and that includes his 13 points in 16 games riding coattails on the top line. The 21 points in his other 61 games (.344/gm) is closer to his common production during his time here. Neither of those numbers are .5ppg.

NiftyWasNasty

Nasty in a good way
Dec 29, 2014
I have never hated him but I did want him traded, for me it was that he never found a way to produce or preform consistently…

He played in 8 games as a 21-year-old and put up zero points.

He broke onto the team by putting up 38 points in his first 48 games of the 17/18 season. (.792/gm).

But then the wheels fell of the wagon, just 26 points in his next 90 games. (including his 1 goal in 9 playoff games in 17/18) (.289/gm)

That brings us to the 13 points in 16 games with Bergeron and Marchand. (.813/gm)

He followed that with just 35 points in his next 91 games as a Bruin, including the 8 points in last year’s playoffs. (.385/gm)

So, 64 games of great production (.797/gm) and 181 games of underachieving (.360/gm), Maybe his confidence is shot and he can’t get out of his own head. Perhaps a fresh start will help him get his game back, but 181 games is a much bigger sample size then 64, just a fact.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
Bruins fans have always liked guys who try hard every night. Too many nights he may have been trying in his own mind, but it didn’t seem like it to the ordinary observer. If a guy plays “light”, then Bruins fans expect to see consistent production. Danton didn’t provide that for us on too many nights and too often displayed stone hands. His play for us belied his ability, I think. I expect him to do well with his new team. Some players are just better fits on different teams. Happens in companies; happens in relationships; happens in sports.

100% agree. His on-ice personality doesn't fit with Boston. Bruins fans are passionate & love passion in their players & if they don't have that, they better be putting up points. He had the on-ice personality of a cardboard box & was regressing from his rookie year. Maybe he can turn it around but his time was up here. Wish him nothing but the best.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I think there was too much noise about him on both ends of the spectrum. I don’t think he was as good as his supporters believed or lived up to initial expectations, nor did he deserve as much hate as he got. So much discussion for a pretty JAG like player. Kind of bizarre.

Agree. A 30-40 point player was overanalyzed in the fishbowl called Boston.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
Read the article and makes a lot of good points. I can't really give a good explanation why I disliked him so much. I just did. I could not stand watching him play. He just seemed disinterested and uninspired.

Reactions: duffy and sarge88

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I do wonder why he never got a shot as a defensive minded 3C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad