Music: “The Last Beatles Song” - Now And Then

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Background:

What is said to be the final ‘new’ song by the Beatles was released this morning. A home demo recorded by John Lennon in the late 70’s was hoped to be used for the Beatles anthology in the mid 90’s, but was shelved because of the poor production value. Technology used by Peter Jackson in producing the Beatles documentary in 2021 was able uncouple Lennon’s vocals from the humming that existed on the demo. With recordings done by George Harrison used from the abandoned sessions in the 90’s, Paul and Ringo were able to finish the track to be released.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
A simple ditty about love and loss. Unquestionably John's creation. Seems appropriate as a swan song for the Beatles. Thanks for posting!

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Beatles are my favorite band, but I found that one rather boring and forgettable

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I dig it. It kinda sounds like an All Things Must Pass era George tune with the full production TBQH. But definitely has John's chord choices and song structure and such. And I'm very glad Paul didn't step all over it with too-conspicuous backing vocals or an original tacked-on bridge because I kind of expect him to do that. But they let John's song be John's song and treated it respectfully. And Ringo is just doing his thing on the drums, you don't notice him but you don't not notice him. He's...present.

I don't think it's ever going to be one of the best songs ever released under the Beatles' name, but I kind of like it.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I don't think it's ever going to be one of the best songs ever released under the Beatles' name
To put it mildly.

"Free as a Bird", "Real Love" and this are all quite mediocre imo. I remember liking "Real Love" somewhat back in the day, but that wore off rather quickly.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It's a nice song, but there is only so much you can do with an unfinished and apparently really poor quality demo and AI.

It makes me sad we never got a proper Beatles reunion with an album or two because of Lennon's death.

The four of them together again taking inspiration from more modern Rock sounds could have been amazing.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The four of them together again taking inspiration from more modern Rock sounds could have been amazing.
Maybe. I don't think any of them were at their peak by the early 1980s, but of course it's possible that they could have produded one more great album together (or two etc).

I don't think it would've ever happened, though... or at least not in the 1980s... Maybe a bit lame to always point the finger at Yoko, but it's hard to see John ditching their collaboration and "getting back (pun intended) with the lads". And if Lennon had demanded that Yoko should somehow be a part of the comeback, it would've not gone down well with the others (especially George). Of course, there are also stories that their marriage was on the rocks at the time John was murdered, so who knows...

Last edited:

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
I thought it was quite fine. It's a Beatles song for sure, and I think we forget that they aren't all masterpieces (because they released so many of them). It would sit just fine somewhere on Rubber Soul or Revolver and be one of the songs you listened to occasionally while waiting for one of the big ones.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I thought it was quite fine. It's a Beatles song for sure, and I think we forget that they aren't all masterpieces (because they released so many of them). It would sit just fine somewhere on Rubber Soul or Revolver and be one of the songs you listened to occasionally while waiting for one of the big ones.
Every song on both of those albums clears this track pretty easily imo

Reactions: plank

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Background:

What is said to be the final ‘new’ song by the Beatles was released this morning. A home demo recorded by John Lennon in the late 70’s was hoped to be used for the Beatles anthology in the mid 90’s, but was shelved because of the poor production value. Technology used by Peter Jackson in producing the Beatles documentary in 2021 was able uncouple Lennon’s vocals from the humming that existed on the demo. With recordings done by George Harrison used from the abandoned sessions in the 90’s, Paul and Ringo were able to finish the track to be released.
Should also mention, at least in the article I read, they used some AI help supposedly.

Edit OK I read another article and that must basically be what you called technology from Peter Jackson.

Martin, who co-produced "Now And Then" with McCartney and Electric Light Orchestra frontman Jeff Lynne, says machine learning technology allowed them to isolate Lennon's vocals in a way that previously wasn't possible.

Reactions: GKJ

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Every song on both of those albums clears this track pretty easily imo
Hey that's cool. I disagree but it's all subjective. I just don't think it's that far off from any of their other songs that aren't played on the radio. Songs like Doctor Robert or What Goes On are just ok in my book.

Also, I'm not saying to replace any songs on those albums. Just that his one fits "stylistically" with them. You could find other examples on other albums but I'm not sure this one would fit (Help! for instance).

Dec 29, 2004
The video is full of interesting choices...

Imho, the reaction to the song itself tends to reflect how people felt about The Beatles anyway. It's not going to convert non-believers, nor will it alienate life long fans. You get out of it what you expected.

I also think critics are being too hard on this. It's a nice excuse for Paul and Ringo to get together and reminisce. It's also fan service for a very large group of people who spent decades not being serviced and there is nothing wrong with that..

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The video is full of interesting choices...

Imho, the reaction to the song itself tends to reflect how people felt about The Beatles anyway. It's not going to convert non-believers, nor will it alienate life long fans. You get out of it what you expected.

I also think critics are being too hard on this. It's a nice excuse for Paul and Ringo to get together and reminisce. It's also fan service for a very large group of people who spent decades not being serviced and there is nothing wrong with that..

I think the song is fine. Decent. Wasn't terrible but not groundbreaking. The 12-minute documentary on how they made it with the footage from 1994-95 was the most interesting part (seeing George back).

I generally can't stand "Fan Service" and think it's a terrible and lazy device used in place of substance or actual creativity. A perfect example was the Angry video by The Rolling Stones.

Hollywood (Star Trek, Star Wars, MCU) and comics have had a real issue with it the last 10-15 years. For this though, it wasn't good yet wasn't terrible.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm a huge Beatles fan, and Lennon was by far my favourite Beatle. He was my post-Beatles favourite too. There are no Beatles songs I've not heard, and no facts about them I don't know.

The song is all right I guess, but like all post-Beatles releases, indeed, almost all posthumous releases by anyone, one can understand why it was never released on vinyl. That's because it's weak. At best, it would have been filler on an album. Having said that, it's still miles better than Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Effing-Da.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm a huge Beatles fan, and Lennon was by far my favourite Beatle. He was my post-Beatles favourite too. There are no Beatles songs I've not heard, and no facts about them I don't know.

The song is all right I guess, but like all post-Beatles releases, indeed, almost all posthumous releases by anyone, one can understand why it was never released on vinyl. That's because it's weak. At best, it would have been filler on an album. Having said that, it's still miles better than Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Effing-Da.
Hard to argue most of this. But why avoid a good argument, so...

Lennon's inner pain gave his songs a texture McCartney's sheltered worldview could never match, but McCartney's melodies and musical hooks outpaced Lennon by miles. Obla-di Obla-da is the dumbest lyric in pop history, yet it's still a hit because Paul McCartney had a gift for crafting hit after hit after hit.

As for Now And Then... it's a moody period piece, but not much more. It reflects a slightly older, more vulnerable John Lennon singing about his love/need for Yoko. The tone is so personal that it's hard to pretend three other guys are collaborating on it. Still, Paul, Ringo, and the ghost of George are present, which makes it a Beatles keepsake, which is undeniably cool. But as a tune it lacks any musical cleverness or any quality that made The Beatles what they were. It's an audio equivalent of a professional photo-op.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad