Friedman: “Edmonton checked in on Kovalchuk, won’t happen”

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Stands to reason. We don’t have much cap space and he wants to be in the New York area. We’d be dumb not to ask though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
to clerify my position on Kevey

World Championships in Russia--his reaction to Canada beating the Russians

Alex O class act--Kovey not so much

my reaction is not about him being Russian but how he carries himself

IF the caps want to move Alex O--I am all ears

not for Kovey--he cares more about himself then the team and that is something I do not like

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Doesn’t hurt Edmonton to ask but not sure if Kovalchuk has the wheels anymore to help them given how slow they already are.

Is Kovalchuk still claiming he wants to come back to win a cup? If he is I would think Pittsburgh on a low cap hit with bonuses would be the best fit. If not am guessing he ends up in New York.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
to clerify my position on Kevey

World Championships in Russia--his reaction to Canada beating the Russians

Alex O class act--Kovey not so much

my reaction is not about him being Russian but how he carries himself

IF the caps want to move Alex O--I am all ears

not for Kovey--he cares more about himself then the team and that is something I do not like

Cares.more about himself? He Was The heart and soul Of The devils cup run and put everything into every second he was on the ice. He's just a guy that loves hockey more than anything.

Everyone on this site is so critical about players' personalities when they don't know them at all. It's insane.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I immediately thought of this gif but Chia instead when I read the title.

$

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Doesn’t hurt Edmonton to ask but not sure if Kovalchuk has the wheels anymore to help them given how slow they already are.

Is Kovalchuk still claiming he wants to come back to win a cup? If he is I would think Pittsburgh on a low cap hit with bonuses would be the best fit. If not am guessing he ends up in New York.

I imagine the phone call was made largely with the powerplay in mind. Oilers haven't had a legit right shot scoring threat on the PP in years. Really makes things funky when your three best playmakers are all left shot guys.

Reactions: Index and Morrison

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I imagine the phone call was made largely with the powerplay in mind. Oilers haven't had a legit right shot scoring threat on the PP in years. Really makes things funky when your three best playmakers are all left shot guys.
Bro you can have Marty Frk for real cheap!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Cares.more about himself? He Was The heart and soul Of The devils cup run and put everything into every second he was on the ice. He's just a guy that loves hockey more than anything.

Everyone on this site is so critical about players' personalities when they don't know them at all. It's insane.

I did not like what I saw on the ice that day--

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

You mean Letustu wasn’t the right hand shot you were looking for!!?? :laugh::laugh:

Ducks are the opposite we only have right shots who are threats to score (and Getzlaf refuses to use his shot), all our left shots have absolute muffins.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You mean Letustu wasn’t the right hand shot you were looking for!!?? :laugh::laugh:

Ducks are the opposite we only have right shots who are threats to score (and Getzlaf refuses to use his shot), all our left shots have absolute muffins.

To be completely fair Letestu was lights out on the powerplay in 16-17. He just sucks everywhere else.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't really want him in NY.

Rangers need to win less games, not get a player that will help them win. I don't give a damn about what Lundqvist says.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I would love to see him sign in Washington for a 1 million 1 year contract. That would be truly amazing.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL

It's astounding really. A lot of it is misinformation, or lack of information in general, but a huge part of it will also be down to what level of interest X player shows to said fans' team.

Or if they suspect they're not in the running. You'll always get the "I want X player as far away from our building team as possible because Y reasons" mostly based on nothing.

I'd like Kovy on the Rangers for a few years. I'll understand if he goes elsewhere. But any team that gets him should benefit. At worst it's a wash, especially for a non-playoff club rebuilding or struggling to put it together. The latter for the Oilers. Talented experienced vets for a few years while you figure it all out? THE HORROR.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
NYC is a long, long way from Buffalo.

Close enough and Buffalo looks to have a much better future than basically any other hockey team in New York(state), The Islanders might be losing they’re best player(and they’re already bad with him), the Rangers don’t know wether or not they are in rebuild mode or not(seems as if they only have one foot out the door, signing Kovy would make things more confusing)... I mean I’m no fan of Buffalo or Kovy(though he was a damn good player), I just have a hunch Buffalo is gonna try and join the hype train(as Jets/Toronto and even last seasons Oilers where on) by picking Kovalchuk up to play beside Eichel(wether or not that happens or wether or not that works out I believe it’s the most likely of teams myself).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad