Rumor: “Canucks working the Phones, Trying to make a trade” — Dhaliwal

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Clarification: Wait, so is the thinking here you have:

Hughes - (X)
Cole - Hronek
Soucy - Myers

And various combos with Hughes have failed so VAN is looking for a better complement? And that’s where RD landed as the trade target?

That is exactly the thinking here...

They don't seem willing to actually substantively even try Soucy on his off side with Hughes. It's not entirely clear why, but it seems to be a LH-RH balance sticking point for Tocchet/Foote. Or at least some indication they have that they don't like Soucy on his off side.

But Soucy-Myers is an interesting 3rd pairing that should actually be able to handle a decent chunk of minutes.

The Cole-Hronek duo they've been locked into since basically the moment camp opened, and seeing it in action...i can understand why. They seem to complement each other extremely well in their skillsets and read very well off each other. The idea being, that duo gives Vancouver a genuinely solid minutes sort of pairing that you're not afraid to have out there against most matchups, and being able to roll a quality puck-mover on that second pairing really changes the dynamics and allows them to keep pouring on pressure after Hughes comes off the ice.

They just don't really seem to have anything in house that'll work to ride shotgun with Hughes. That doesn't need to be a star player, or even really a standalone pure Top-4D necessarily. Just a smart, steady, stay-at-home sort of guy who can handle reasonable minutes and bring a little bit of size and physicality would be adequate. Guys like Luke Schenn have looked fine there. Ethan Bear looked alright. Even Juulsen had some okay games, as well as a rookie with like half a dozen Pro games under his belt in McWard who looked alright during some of the preseason with Hughes.

So that's probably more the caliber or ballpark of player type they're realistically looking for. A better RHD would be a nice luxury, but being realistic about what they can afford (in cap, and trade assets) that's probably what we're looking at.

Hence names like Peeke and Fabbro coming up. They'd be pushing toward the higher end of that range.

It's a tough spot to be in though, rolling into the season opener not too far off. Seems like really poor planning and foresight. Somehow they weren't on the same page with bringing in two more LHD in the summer...between the management and coaching staff i guess. Now they're looking for a rare piece, even if it's not a real premium version of that.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think they knew the D wasn’t quite good enough. The prices were higher in the summer. It makes sense to see if they can get a player on the cheap at seasons beginning.
Not to mention we had some younger players show well on the left side and they probably wanted to leave a spot open to be claimed at camp before they spent assets. Cole and Soucey play the right side as well, just no one stepped up in camp so now they are looking.

Last edited:

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Well. You’re paying OEL into the 2030s so that’s not really gone.

Boeser is a bad contract. Esp if he gets hurt again.

EP needs a new one next year… which is also a problem since he’ll seek a huge raise.

Kuzmenko also on a short term deal. So as soon as the bad ones burn off.. gotta give Hronek and others raises. Vancouver’s been very poorly managed.
They have been much better managed since Benning left, Boeser has looked great so far this preseason. I think he is $1m over paid tops and by the end of the season he might be fine.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A savvy GM should be able to build a competitive team out of a roster that already has a young 1C, 1D, and 1G without needing to tear it all down in a rebuild.

Kind of reminds me of Colorado! Drafted a great top line and great #1D and filled out the rest of the roster with almost no help from the draft. It's a big challenge but the Canucks odds only get worse by blowing it up.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If EP signs, the outlook is fine
If EP wants out, the outlook is bad
actually i think it's the exact opposite.

as good as pettersson is signing him lt it's not enough to make vancouver a contender. if he is asking out it hopefully initiates a true rebuild with a contention window starting 5 to 7 years down the line.

best case with the current roster is playoff contender.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Something around Boeser and Lekkerimaki?
Idk lekkermaki has been looking really good in the SHL recently I'd rather wait to see if he can become a solid top line winger, he'll probably be a top 6 guy but he definitely has the potential to be a top line player. Honestly I'd rather wait till next season to make a big move because it's beyond obvious the Canucks want to make a play for Devon Toews so I'd rather not trade key assets for a player like Carlo where injuries are a concern.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
actually i think it's the exact opposite.

as good as pettersson is signing him lt it's not enough to make vancouver a contender. if he is asking out it hopefully initiates a true rebuild with a contention window starting 5 to 7 years down the line.

best case with the current roster is playoff contender.

Really? This franchise would flip Petterson for roster players then flip whatever additional picks they got for more roster players. Gotta make those hockey trades while Quinn Hughes is still in town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad