The Athletic ‘Right now it’s our time to respond’: Sabres seek answers as skid continues

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'Right now it's our time to respond': Sabres seek answers as... (PAYWALL)

Comments after
Wednesday’s 3-2 overtime loss to Calgary

Ullmark:

“It’s been a lot of changes in coaches these last couple years. Getting a system down is hard. It takes a lot of hard work, you know? At the end of the day, when everything is just going unconsciously and not where you start thinking about what you’re supposed to do and where you’re supposed to forecheck, backcheck, whatever, it’s going to be a lot easier to play these games.”

Krueger:

“There were portions of the last three games where you saw some of our best hockey of the season. But again, it was portions, and we need to stretch that out through 60 minutes, start to finish. We’re disappointed that we’re not able to do that"
Krueger previously stated it would take about half the season for the new system to come naturally to the players.
"We’ve known from the start that these habits aren’t going to be habits for a while. We’re going to drift back to old habits. We’re going to drift out of our game, and we have to work very, very hard to confirm these as habits through three, four, five, six games in a row, and that’s what we’re doing. We like the way the group is processing it as much as we don’t like our results at the moment."
The Power Play
“Our power play again is the motor,” Krueger said. “I mean, it didn’t score on so many chances. It’s got to break out of the shell. We have to keep working on that. For me, I think the solution for the offense will be a better power play, more effective scoring chances there, and that will carry into our five-on-five.”
Team Toughness:
Response to Sobotka and Dahlin Hits:

“Nobody in the rink, including the referees, actually read it because the puck was not there anymore. When Rasmus actually went down and then came up, until there was blood coming out of his face, we didn’t really realize the situation. Spontaneously, it wasn’t one of those hits from behind into the wall where everyone sees what happened. Is it something to learn about? Yeah, it’s possible. This group is very close. This group is working hard for each other. And the way the game is today, it has evolved. We’ll learn from it. But this isn’t that kind of a game anymore. Hockey is not that kind of a game where everybody jumps over the bench and clears the benches because something like that possibly occurred. We learn and grow from every game in many different ways, and that’s another one where we can get stronger in the future.”

Skinner:

“Right now it’s our time to respond. Yeah, we’ve got to turn it around.”
Rejects comparison to last season:
“It’s a different group. There’s a lot of new guys here, and the season’s different. You could draw parallels as much as you want — it’s a new year. The league’s different. We just focus on getting better.”
Failing to Score onThe Power Play:
“It seems like that sucks a little bit of momentum out of us"

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
They can say the game isnt played that way anymore until they are blue in the face, but unless you want to continue getting pushed around and taking injuries someone needs to do something. Go into Columbus and elbow Foligno and see if they respond, go board Kucherov and see if they respond, go slew foot Pasternak and see if they respond. Fact is good teams stand up for themselves and each other. No one likes seeing players forced to square up for a good hit, but after they are put in that position they might think twice before taking a run at someone. No ones afraid of taking a run at Eichel or Dahlin because the only response they will get is a spin of the wheel at the DOPS, maybe. Any number of good teams still play "that type of hockey", they're usually the ones that go far in the playoffs while teams like Toronto who let the league handle discipline dont go anywhere regardless of how much offensive firepower they have.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I do not really understand Krueger, for the time being I certainly have faith in him, but maybe they need a tougher, younger and more modern coach or just an experienced guy like Trotz or Boudreau.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Gotta love the arbitrary time line of half a season it takes for the players to “understand the system” or whatever.
I think it's preferable to a vague indefinite timeline. I would love to see Botterill commit to achieving a goal by a specified narrow time range.
Blues had a pretty hard time adapting to their new coach last year midseason :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
Vezina caliber goaltending makes everyone look good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I think it's preferable to a vague indefinite timeline. I would love to see Botterill commit to achieving a goal by a specified narrow time range.

For sure, the big difference-maker for STL was that they went from starting a guy who couldn't stop a slow-rolling beach ball to a guy who posted a .927. Their GAA dropped by an entire goal.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Have to say I am about done hoping for this year after the comments by Botterill and Kruger...I can't see Botterill making the right moves the change this team...Looks like we'll have to at least wait the rest of this year, hope they continue to tank, Botts gets fired, and hope for a new GM...This sucks after such a promising start...Oh well, glad I left my tank profile pic on here...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

A firm stance by the management about what is an acceptable level for the season would be novel. It would certainly set expectations among the fan base and the press covering the team. And the players would need to know that instead of some “Kumbaya, hey let’s be in games” sort of mentality that there is an expectation that they hit a point threshold.

Reactions: Rasmi

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I am not ready to turn on Krueger. I think he is doing a good job. I think he is protecting the players a little bit too much (from the media, from themselves) but I still see notable improvement in areas of the game. It’s just beyond frustrating that it hasn’t translated into wins.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Hockey is not that kind of a game where everybody jumps over the bench and clears the benches because something like that possibly occurred.
It would definately change things for Buffalo if they actually started doing that though. You're not going to win any prizes by playing nice, better to just goon it up sometimes when it's justified and atleast give the audience a show too.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I am not ready to turn on Krueger. I think he is doing a good job. I think he is protecting the players a little bit too much (from the media, from themselves) but I still see notable improvement in areas of the game. It’s just beyond frustrating that it hasn’t translated into wins.
That's a good point. He's not going to publicly rip the team about a lack of response. That's something that has to be settled in the room.

Reactions: jc17

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I do not really understand Krueger, for the time being I certainly have faith in him, but maybe they need a tougher, younger and more modern coach or just an experienced guy like Trotz or Boudreau.

Attachments

• 5A985466-7398-4862-BD4B-AB42F99FEE2C.gif
    5A985466-7398-4862-BD4B-AB42F99FEE2C.gif
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad