TSN: ‘Carriers’ and the ‘carried’ unduly affecting their teams

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
https://www.tsn.ca/carriers-and-the-carried-unduly-affecting-their-teams-1.1357943

Despite so much talent around the league, there still exists a rather sizable gap in performance when certain skaters are on and off the ice. I like to refer to them as the carriers and the carried – the players who are disproportionately affecting their teams, for better or worse.

I wasn't expecting to see Pommers in this group.
the-carriers-team-relative-goal-differential-per-60-minutes.jpg

Sobotka and Thompson are no surprise. Interesting blurb in the article about William Carrier being on the list.

the-carried-team-relative-goal-differential-per-60-minutes.jpg

Whereas a player like may interest me if I’m another team in the league – Carrier’s results are bad, but some of this is because he has been buried in a depth role on a Vegas team that’s been as good as anyone in the league at even strength over the last two seasons.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Man, the article mentions Carrier before I can make a joke involving him.. stupid statistics getting in the way of my terrible humor.

Also, how is Drew Stafford still around?

Reactions: Eichittelharthlin

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Why was he including Pommes on this list, he is 11th. It would have been less embarassing if he just posted a top10 chart. The only thing that Pommers might be carrying next season is the shopping bags of his wife.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Glass half full: at least ROR isn’t in the top ten carriers even though the return for him is in the bottom carried or out of the league...

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
It’s team relative so there’s really not a surprise here. Mark Stone was an elite player on a terrible Sens team. Pominville was an NHLer in some sheltered minutes who could still provide something offensively and defensively.

If you look at the “carriers” most of them are good to elite player on horrible teams. What I do find interesting is the list has a Carrier in the Carried :eek:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It doesn't look like he uses a minimum GP criteria for designating a player as carried. I think 60 is fair so Thompson and Sobotka remain on the list.

Carried GP
Weise 9
Hunwick 14
Sekera 24
Bitetto 36
Harpur 51
Carrier 54
Bourque 55
Stafford 57
Bieksa 59
Kesler 60
Dubinsky 61
Thompson 65
Sobotka 69
Chytil 75

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Anybody know the Sabres win/loss record with Pominville on the top line vs when Reinhart was?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
MOBA terms are seeping into sports writing? I knew the Sabres were having trouble with pre-6 ganks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad