OT: â€œMy Last Fight,†- Darren McCarty

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Early in his book, “My Last Fight,” Darren McCarty quotes lyrics of a song by the country music duo Thompson Square, “This life would kill me, if I didn’t have you.”

Along with detailed, behind-the-scenes descriptions of the great events of four Stanley Cup seasons and building a successful career, from early morning skates as a boy through 15 NHL seasons, McCarty describes a rambunctious life that frequently courts disaster.

“It feel as if my life is a Quentin Tarantino movie,” McCarty wrote.

“It’s as if I’m one of Tarantino’s characters, waking in a deadbeat motel with his life turned inside-out and left trying to figure out how he got there.”

It is a book of considerable interest to fans. But people struggling with addiction may see it as as source of considerable affirmation.

He admits he continues to use beer and medical marijuana, the latter, he says, because he avoids narcotic medication for his chronic pain. He said he tested positive for marijuana more than 30 times in his career, eventually leading to mandatory treatment, while also using cocaine and ecstasy.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131128/SPORTS0103/311280036#ixzz2lxHjVCsw

have to pick this up at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Sounds like a good read. I've got some respect for the man being so open about his struggles and hoping his lessons will prevent another kid from following in his footsteps.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
He was starting to come along but once his father died, then everything went downhill fast. He went back to the partying and that stupid grinder band. If he worked on his hockey, he could have had a better career.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Ordered it this morning.

He is probably my favorite player of all time. Even though he has been a ****** from time to time.

RockemSockemProberts

Stevie's home!
Jul 5, 2012
Oradea, Rom/GR, MI
I'd really been looking forward to McCarty's biography since I'd heard he was working on it. I bought the Kindle edition a few days ago and read it in a day. It's a good read, and definitely worth picking up. D-Mac's a pretty straight-forward, honest guy (judging from his book). I hope he can continue finding more stability in his life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad