News Article: â€œHe’s a Prototypical Flyer" + 4 Gamebreakers the Flyers Should Select at 17th Overall

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
THW's Bill Schoeninger with a couple of articles for your viewing pleasure (or to critique the heck out of)

1. 4 Gamebreakers the Flyers Should Select at 17th Overall

He examines 4 legitimate options (but not the only ones)

2. 2014 Draft: “He’s a Prototypical Flyer Pickâ€
- interesting look at a phrase many hockey pundits use

Also see who the Flyers virtually selected in the in depth 3 round mock draft, The Next Ones Final Edition, complete with commentary, stats and demographics on all picks:

Link here

The official THW draft HQ page is live as well:

2014 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones

Much to be added (we constantly updated as new material published), but a great starting point for your draft needs.

- featuring profiles (>100 thus far), rankings, mocks, unique perspectives & much more

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would have Milano at #1. Not sure why you wrote this when Gostisbehere is already a Flyer.

The Flyers badly need a player with DeAngelo’s skillset on their defense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
DeAngelo is at least two years away from playing in the NHL. And he's a nut.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
And he's not nearly as good a prospect as Gostisbehere at this point. The skill sets are similar to the point where it would be smart to address other needs first, like at wing.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I have to admit that this article made me more interested in DeAngelo and his offensive defense potential. However, the chance to land a gritty scoring winger should be the priority. Hopefully, DeAngelo's off-ice issues scare others away sufficiently for the Flyers to land him somewhere in round 2.

Possibly Nashville's 2nd for Lecavalier + 4th?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
My plan: trade back and draft a forward somewhere in the 20-27 range. Hope Honka falls somewhere into the 2nd round a la Hagg last year. Hope for something like Milano in first round, Honka and MacInnis in the second round. If they can walk away with that, I would be ecstatic.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
If it's possible, I'd try and trade back a few spots and grab Alex Tuch. Size and skating ability and the willingness to get his hands dirty. I have a feeling someone will grab him inside the top 20.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
My plan: trade back and draft a forward somewhere in the 20-27 range. Hope Honka falls somewhere into the 2nd round a la Hagg last year. Hope for something like Milano in first round, Honka and MacInnis in the second round. If they can walk away with that, I would be ecstatic.

Could definitely happen - a lot of draft guys have an extensive number of players ranked in the 20-45 range or so with not a lot separating them.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
deangelo

i would not even consider until rd 2.way too many red flags.

fiala,milano would be very good if available at 17. another guy i would add to guys that would be great flyers is fabbri. i like his game a lot. small guy, good playmaker, and goal scorer, and tough for a small guy. he is a guy that goes to the dirty areas.

and would add sanheim to mix at 17 as well. he is the 2014 version of sam morin. a guy
not ranked, moving up the draft charts. his ceiling is high. an outstanding under 18 tournie, just like morin.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
i would not even consider until rd 2.way too many red flags.

fiala,milano would be very good if available at 17. another guy i would add to guys that would be great flyers is fabbri. i like his game a lot. small guy, good playmaker, and goal scorer, and tough for a small guy. he is a guy that goes to the dirty areas.

and would add sanheim to mix at 17 as well. he is the 2014 version of sam morin. a guy
not ranked, moving up the draft charts. his ceiling is high. an outstanding under 18 tournie, just like morin.

Fabbri reminds me a whole lot of Zach Parise. Not the biggest, but an excellent nose for the goals. Very similar skaters, imo, too. I see him as a winger moving forward, and I wouldn't mind him if he's our guy, either.

My good list for 17: Milano, Fiala, Fabbri, Kempe
My bad list: DeAngelo, Tuch, Pastrnak, all the centers in our range

Neutral: Perlini, Barbashev, Vrana, Kapanen, Honka, Fleury

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Fabbri reminds me a whole lot of Zach Parise. Not the biggest, but an excellent nose for the goals. Very similar skaters, imo, too. I see him as a winger moving forward, and I wouldn't mind him if he's our guy, either.

My good list for 17: Milano, Fiala, Fabbri, Kempe
My bad list: DeAngelo, Tuch, Pastrnak, all the centers in our range

Neutral: Perlini, Barbashev, Vrana, Kapanen, Honka, Fleury

What's your criteria for the bad ones? Tuch isn't a center.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
What's your criteria for the bad ones? Tuch isn't a center.

I like other defenders more than DeAngelo (Honka, Sanheim, Dougherty, Fleury in particular), and think there's a very real chance of DeAngelo falling in the second round. I think he's bad value at #17.

I don't have anything against Larkin and McCann, and I have both quite high on my personal draft board, but they don't give us much that I don't project from Laughton already.

Pastrnak is a gut feeling. Probably my most arbitrary one. I should have considered him "neutral".

And I am not sold on Tuch. Great frame, decent skater, but I don't see offensive upside. He's a perfect guy to complement skilled players, but I wouldn't expect him to be an offensive generator at the next level. Reminds me of a Dustin Penner, almost.

NHLAlert

@nhl_alert
Jul 21, 2012
Uberlandia
www.nhlalert.com
And he's not nearly as good a prospect as Gostisbehere at this point. The skill sets are similar to the point where it would be smart to address other needs first, like at wing.

Ghost has much better defensive awareness and he doesn't get pushed off the puck as much as Anthony does. I would say there offense is comparable though but there is a reason he was left off the WJC team and it's not like team USA had a plethora of great defensemen this past year

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
If it's possible, I'd try and trade back a few spots and grab Alex Tuch. Size and skating ability and the willingness to get his hands dirty. I have a feeling someone will grab him inside the top 20.

I would be very pleased if we land him there are mock drafts that have philly taking him and I think he would only maybe be a year or two away from the NHL

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
I would be very pleased if we land him there are mock drafts that have philly taking him and I think he would only maybe be a year or two away from the NHL

Yeah, granted I don't know a ton about any of the Canadian Jr's, let alone the American kids. He looked like a player that our scouts would like at a position of need. I have seen a few mocks that had Milano go right in front of us, and had us take Tuch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad