Zykov and a conditional fifth for Versteeg (No salary retained.)

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
Did anyone else hear the Chicago blogger's take on Versteeg in the Royal Half's podcast and go "Nuts"?

is it doom and gloom?

I don't get it, all the Hawks fans I know wouldn't stop talking **** about the guy either, even when he was on their team. WTF did he do to piss off Chicago so much?

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
is it doom and gloom?

I don't get it, all the Hawks fans I know wouldn't stop talking **** about the guy either, even when he was on their team. WTF did he do to piss off Chicago so much?

Pretty much just said Versteeg doesn't play within any team's system and wonders how he'll get along with Sutter. He was really, really terrible for them in the playoffs last season. Scratched more than half of their playoffs games and only had 2 points.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
Pretty much just said Versteeg doesn't play within any team's system and wonders how he'll get along with Sutter. He was really, really terrible for them in the playoffs last season. Scratched more than half of their playoffs games and only had 2 points.

yeah well i'll trust Dean and company more than a blogger when it comes to evaluating guys and how they'll fit in the Kings' system. If that was really a legit knock on Versteeg, I highly doubt the Kings would have had interest to begin with.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Carter - "A soft player that isn't very good definitively. Massive ego."

Gaborik - "He'll never work with Sutter. Fragile. Doesn't go into the corners. Too injury-prone. He'll never be an impact player on the Kings."

Vinny - "Can't even skate."

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Ya, DL was WAY off on bringing in this guy as well:

1302232645232_ORIGINAL.jpg

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008

Gaborik - "He'll never work with Sutter. Fragile. Doesn't go into the corners. Too injury-prone. He'll never be an impact player on the Kings."

Vinny - "Can't even skate."

Don't forget the naysayers when we got Williams, look how that turned out.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Don't forget the naysayers when we got Williams, look how that turned out.

The Williams naysayers were epically bad. All that dude has ever done is win, and he just kept right on winning. He needed health. He got it, and I still think he's a HUGE loss for the Kings. Gutted me when the Kings couldn't make a deal work.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
The Williams naysayers were epically bad. All that dude has ever done is win, and he just kept right on winning. He needed health. He got it, and I still think he's a HUGE loss for the Kings. Gutted me when the Kings couldn't make a deal work.

Same, also with Mitchell.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Versteeg was just not very good for the Hawks the second go around. There were also inflated expectations, people expected him to return to the 2010 level, and that is just not happening.

I still love this trade because Versteeg can contribute some offense from the bottom six, something the Kings are greatly lacking. We have three guys who have played regularly who are going to struggle to reach double digit points (Andy, Nolan, Clifford) and Shore and Lewis aren't much better.Being able to get key goals from the bottom six is a huge factor in winning playoff series.

And the return is very minimal, I'd be shocked if Zykov is ever a consistent NHL'er.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I wouldn't write off Zykov just yet. The kid's just finishing off his first full season at the AHL. I'd give him a couple more years, and see how he does.

Wish Zykov nothing but the very best with his new team.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I wouldn't write off Zykov just yet. The kid's just finishing off his first full season at the AHL. I'd give him a couple more years, and see how he does.

Once again, progression is more important than age when valuing prospects.

No next step made in junior is a big red flag, being traded for Kris Versteeg probably tells you everything you need to know about how our management team views him as a prospect.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think Lombardi had a meltdown at the Canadian border prior to trading Zykov like he did with Pushkarev.:laugh:

Oh man, that is one of the funniest hockey-related reads I can remember. I hope DL's eventual book reads like that :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I was not a fan of that trade at the time. Williams looked like he might have been washed up at that time, he couldn't stay healthy didn't seem to be the same player as when he was younger. Kinda like Joffrey Lupul. I was 100% wrong as Williams remodeled his game for a late career resurgence and became a great King. Definitely miss him on the Kings.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Once again, progression is more important than age when valuing prospects.

No next step made in junior is a big red flag, being traded for Kris Versteeg probably tells you everything you need to know about how our management team views him as a prospect.

You could say the same thing happened to Gravel in his senior year at St. Cloud. LaDue going through that this year as well.

Gravel made almost no progressive step forward in his development. Sort of plateaued. Teams don't like to see it, but it is not a dealbreaker/massive red flag to me. It is more indicative of a player capping out at a certain competition level, and teams see that as a wasted year of development. It can be made up later on. Just don't like to think the player is a year behind because he was playing in a league that literally offered them nothing in terms of a challenge.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015

I agree. I would have rather given a 3rd for Versteeg than Zykov and a 5th.
Zykov had a hernia / abdominal (think it was that) surgery less than 2 yrs ago
and then this year, had an injured elbow. They said he was a leader in the rookie camp and worked very hard...was good skater, good in corners, etc. Most King
prospects do not put up big numbers their first year in the AHL. Oh well.
I just hope Versteeg helps ignite some offense...some players say he makes good plays as well. 11 goals and 22 assists not too bad.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was not a fan of that trade at the time. Williams looked like he might have been washed up at that time, he couldn't stay healthy didn't seem to be the same player as when he was younger. Kinda like Joffrey Lupul. I was 100% wrong as Williams remodeled his game for a late career resurgence and became a great King. Definitely miss him on the Kings.

I seem to remember reading that the Kings are big on "injury analytics," whatever that means--but Williams is a prime example of a guy who they identified as a bounceback guy.

TradeMadeMeSignUp

Jan 6, 2016

This trade tho, recent Lebrun article had this rated as the #1 trade in the last 5 years. I'll trust Dean with Versteeg too.

On a sidenote, if you are currently bored, find the Jeff Carter trade thread (on the main forum on HF) and the thread on letsgokings.com as well to just LAUGH. People were just being ridiculous after that trade. My favorite is how many people commented something like, "We traded the wrong D-men", not only did they **** on Carter they also wanted Doughty traded instead of Jack Minus Forever Johnson.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
This trade tho, recent Lebrun article had this rated as the #1 trade in the last 5 years. I'll trust Dean with Versteeg too.

On a sidenote, if you are currently bored, find the Jeff Carter trade thread (on the main forum on HF) and the thread on letsgokings.com as well to just LAUGH. People were just being ridiculous after that trade. My favorite is how many people commented something like, "We traded the wrong D-men", not only did they **** on Carter they also wanted Doughty traded instead of Jack Minus Forever Johnson.

The Kings also traded the wrong goalie (Bernier instead of Quick) :sarcasm:

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Im actually very satisfied and happy we got Versteeg but the only thing that concerns me is the last 2 years in the playoffs have not been kind to Versteeg and he was a healthy scratch for the Hawks last year. On the other hand i can also see Versteeg doing really well and we sign him to an extension

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Im actually very satisfied and happy we got Versteeg but the only thing that concerns me is the last 2 years in the playoffs have not been kind to Versteeg and he was a healthy scratch for the Hawks last year. On the other hand i can also see Versteeg doing really well and we sign him to an extension

Only reason I'm not concerned is that Versteeg was brought in for depth reasons. He's not supposed to be a difference maker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad