Zuccarello sounds off on the Rangers handling of Lundqvist and Himself

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
To hit this home:

Zuccarello signing for 4.5m in 2015: Hometown discount. What a teamplayer.
Strome's suggested 5.3m cap hit next season in some discussions: Overpaid. Not worth it! Trade him!

Those amounts are the exact same cap hit percentages haha
I would take Strome at that price for sure. But for two years. I’m not confident he’s a guy we want in the top six long term. I love him as 3C but his cost his higher than that. It’s really that simple...for me.

Reactions: haveandare

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
How is Henrik going to get the consistent work you say he needs being Shesterkin's backup? If the Rangers want to move Georgiev that's fine but they need to get the right value back for him if they do and I'm sorry but a 2nd rounder isn't going to be enough. Not by much he's even younger than Shesterkin and he's shown an ability to absolutely steal games. His issue really is consistency for long stretches but if he busts through that he's a legit NHL starting goaltender. So dumping him cheap would be dumb.

As for Henrik I agree he's still a very capable NHL goaltender. He has declined though and at least for me there are still buts to resigning him. I don't think he's ever really bought wholly into the new direction the team is on. I think there's disappointment on his part that he's not playing 55/60 games a year and I think a part of him resents that. We can say that's part of his competitive nature but there's a point where you have to know your place in the scheme of things. Another but is his age. What do we need a 40 year old goalie for?---at what point do we close the door on his career? Teams aren't all about one player--Henrik's career is winding down and the Rangers have gone younger and that's a direction they had to take. Why make exceptions to that rule?
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, I quoted lokidog74 when he said that Hank needs a lot of work and does anybody think that Hank couldn't be a backup?, Keeping him on the team isn't conducive to that....so my answer would be no.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
It usually exaggerates a point. I dont think 1 penalty every three games is bad....at all

It wouldn't be. Except for, y'know, the fact that he only drew 1 penalty roughly every 11 games.

Brendan Lemieux for instance took 28 penalties this year, which is actually 5 more than Strome. However, he drew a total of 32, so his penalty differential was actually positive (+4), while Strome's was grotesquely negative (-17, T/6th worst leaguewide)

Reactions: egelband

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
It wouldn't be. Except for, y'know, the fact that he only drew 1 penalty roughly every 11 games.

Brendan Lemieux for instance took 28 penalties this year, which is actually 5 more than Strome. However, he drew a total of 32, so his penalty differential was actually positive (+4), while Strome's was grotesquely negative (-17, T/6th worst leaguewide)

Dont think it's much of a big deal.

If it was, I doubt they would continue to give Strome 19 minutes a game.

Ultimately it's a non issue to the brass. Its obviously a bigger issue to stat watchers

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Dont think it's much of a big deal.

If it was, I doubt they would continue to give Strome 19 minutes a game.

Ultimately it's a non issue to the brass. Its obviously a bigger issue to stat watchers

I watched all 70 games the Rangers played this season, so dismissing me as a "stat watcher" because I pay attention to them is quite rich.

Statistically, Strome puts the team at a disadvantage via penalty far more than he should. And considering in his career, he's -62 in penalty differential, I think that's a far more likely trend to continue than this season's point scoring pace

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I watched all 70 games the Rangers played this season, so dismissing me as a "stat watcher" because I pay attention to them is quite rich.

Statistically, Strome puts the team at a disadvantage via penalty far more than he should. And considering in his career, he's -62 in penalty differential, I think that's a far more likely trend to continue than this season's point scoring pace

Again, it is ONCE every three games.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

The issue is not that you do not watch them, I have no reason to believe you dont.

The issue is that even with this being an "issue" hes still getting 19 minutes a game.

It's a bigger issue for stat watchers than it is for the Brass.

That doesn't imply you dont watch games, it implies that you are also a stat watchers and in this case are worrying about something that is relatively meaningless.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

Where do you find these stats?

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
1 penalty every 3 games seems like quite a lot to me. That's 27 on the year assuming no multiple penalty games which is worth something like -5.5 goals against which is I believe around -1 win. In a league with this much parity to the point system the loss of 1 win due to stupidity and laziness (as many of his penalties are) is quite unacceptable.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So powerplays don't matter?

Strome also get benched for half a game against Philly because his play was awful and he was out of control with the penalties.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In certain situations, there no better way to judge a situation
But we literally have a better way to judge it!!

Penalty differential can be easily measured and applied to goal differential. You're giving your opinion on facts.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Right, because that is exactly what I said.

Well if taking penalties is not important then how are powerplay important? One directly leads to the other. And taking/drawing penalties is a very repeatable skill. If powerplays are important then not taking a ton of penalties is also very important. You may think "one in three games" is not a lot but it is a lot and is worth almost 5 goals against. 5 goals against by taking penalties may not seem obvious since it is hidden but you'd certainly care if they gave up 5 goals against on 2 on 1s where Strome was lazy getting back and could have because that is noticeable. It's the same 5 goals either way.

I should probably clear things up that that is a raw 5 goals against and obviously you need to subtract out the average player there to see how much worse he is than his replacement.

Reactions: UnSandvich

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I would take Strome at that price for sure. But for two years. I’m not confident he’s a guy we want in the top six long term. I love him as 3C but his cost his higher than that. It’s really that simple...for me.
Exactly. The issue is term. It’s not even specific to Strome, you look at a player with his scoring history and it’s a risk to give him term. He’s had an absolutely wild uptick and it’s very reasonable to be wary of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad