Rumor: Zuccarello Close to Signing 2 or 3 Year Contract

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yea, thats the reason to hand out multi-year contracts

It's one of them, yeah.

When you have a young offensive minded player, if he's willing to sign long term at a low cap hit, you do it.

If he doesn't make it, he'll terminate and go to Russia. If he does, you have the chance of a guy scoring 60 points for you in year three making pennies on the dollar.

Green Blob*

It's one of them, yeah.

When you have a young offensive minded player, if he's willing to sign long term at a low cap hit, you do it.

If he doesn't make it, he'll terminate and go to Russia. If he does, you have the chance of a guy scoring 60 points for you in year three making pennies on the dollar.

Agreed, great low risk / high reward gamble.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought it showed something that he played an entire KHL season plus part of their playoffs, and then came here and played for a month plus 2 rounds.

KHL, while the 2nd best league in the world, is not as competitive, nor as physical, as the NHL. If anything is going to do him in here, it's the tougher game combined with the smaller ice surface. So, no... that didn't show anything.

UlfNilsson

Oct 17, 2011
Baltimore, MD
lervs1u.gif

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's one of them, yeah.

The only way Zuccarello scores 60 points in the NHL is if hes attached at the hip with an elite center, and/or hes playing way too many minutes.

To me, he is not a piece to build around, and giving him more than 2 years is silly.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
I believe his effort in the PO made this happen. A lot of people thought he would fall through in th PO with all the intensity and physical play. But what do you know, he finished second in points for the Rangers......

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The only way Zuccarello scores 60 points in the NHL is if hes attached at the hip with an elite center, and/or hes playing way too many minutes.

To me, he is not a piece to build around, and giving him more than 2 years is silly.

You don't have to be a "piece to build around" to deserve more than a 2 year contract. We're not talking about giving him a 7 year contract with big $$ and expecting him to lead the team or something.

Complaining about a 3 year deal for Zuccarello with relatively low money involved is silly and just another example of this board looking for anything at all to complain about no matter how ridiculous. The downside is so small with this that it's just not worth quibbling over. If they decide his cap hit is making it hard to sign other players, I'm sure another team would take him in a trade

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If his deal is relatively cheap, I wouldn't have a problem with a three year contract. If he works out, then you've got a bargain; if not, it shouldn't be hard to get rid of him. There's very minimal risk, and a potentially nice reward.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If his deal is relatively cheap, I wouldn't have a problem with a three year contract. If he works out, then you've got a bargain; if not, it shouldn't be hard to get rid of him. There's very minimal risk, and a potentially nice reward.

This is my thought as well. If he doesn't work out, there is a nice trade chip for a team looking for a spark.

usernamesteph

Jan 22, 2013

dont worry..when zucc is scoring i wont rub it in your face

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

If he becomes the PA Parenteau to Stepan's Tavares/Duchene, I'll be just fine and dandy with the contract. Playing with players can boost stats, but chemistry is important.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If he becomes the PA Parenteau to Stepan's Tavares/Duchene, I'll be just fine and dandy with the contract. Playing with players can boost stats, but chemistry is important.

I think its more likely hes a poor man's Parenteau to accompany Stepan, the poor man's Tavares.

Sure sounds like just another example of inflated expectations for this personnel. If that combo doesnt produce 140+ points combined, will that be the coach's fault?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think its more likely hes a poor man's Parenteau to accompany Stepan, the poor man's Tavares.

Sure sounds like just another example of inflated expectations for this personnel. If that combo doesnt produce 140+ points combined, will that be the coach's fault?

Who's expecting Zucc to score that much?

I'll be thrilled if he can put up 50 points, which I think he is very capable of. The guy does everything asked of him and then some. I don't know why you feel the need to **** on him.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway

What is cheap in this case? 1 Mill,1,5? or is 735 more realistic?

BrutuS

Jul 24, 2007

If only the Rangers had someone like PA Parenteau in their system. :shakehead

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If only the Rangers had someone like PA Parenteau in their system. :shakehead

Its not so much about letting go of Parenteau, its the failure to acquire dynamic centers that make fringe type players (like Parenteau and Zuccarello) look much better than they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad