Ziggy Palffy Calls It A Career

scott99

May 13, 2005
Had Ziggy played 7 more seasons their GPG and PPG averages would be a lot closer as no doubt Ziggy's production would have declined. You're right about Ziggy having more seasons with bigger numbers. You're also right about him playing for much worse teams than Kovalev. The question I have for you is, what do you value more; an environment where the team is so poor that most games are essentially meaningless or a winning environment where there is much more pressure to succeed? Scoring more goals individually in games where your team gets blown out vs still scoring plenty (albeit less) but in highly competitive games and contributing to TEAM success as well…

If you put a gun to my head I’d probably pick Ziggy, but it is debatable no doubt.

I agree with you somewhat. But, you talk about pressure ? Ziggy was always his team's best player, always the guy defenses keyed on, therefore, to produce like he did, I would say he faced as much pressure to succeed (individually) than Kovalev. Kovalev always had better teammates to fall back on if HE didn't score. AND, most of the time, he didn't always face oppositions top defensive line of d-men. Ziggy always did. Not taking away from Kovalev, he may even make the Hall Of Fame, but I just think Ziggy was the better player, and I think he proved it.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I have Trottier as the second best goal scorer.

Trotts was great, but a lot of his goal scoring came during the high scoring era. Palffy did his during the clutch and grab neutral zone lock era. Trotts had Five 40 goal seasons and eleven 30+ goal seasons. Palffy had Three 40 goal seasons and Six 30+ goal seasons, in a lower scoring era, without Mike Bossy on his wing, and in half the games. I'd take Trotts over Palffy any day. But Palffy may have been a better goal scorer considering the era.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Reading some Ziggy memories on lighthousehockey and can't believe that I forgot about the Palffy/Travis Green "kiss" after a goal...

One of the strangest things in our wacky up and down history.

Loved the Zigmeister and wish we could've kept him around when Wang bought the team in 2000 and we tasted some success.

Quine Gon Jinn

Apr 12, 2011
Long Island
He was my favorite player, i was so young and I remember being absolutely in love with him. I choose number 16 in every sport I played. I even remember crying when I heard he was traded. Then whenever the kings played the isles i would root for him to score like 3 goals but the islanders to win. I'll miss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad