Rumor: Zetterberg's LTIR contract for Tyler Johnson

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
It's an obvious cap dump for Tampa, but would they actually have to pay Zetterberg?

I'm assuming they would - unless Zetterberg 'retires'.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's an obvious cap dump for Tampa, but would they actually have to pay Zetterberg?

They may not have to pay all of it depending on if Zetterberg's contract is insured.

Reactions: DaveG

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

If I had to guess the idea from Detroit perspective. It allows them to pick up a different LTIR contract. I could be wrong but your cap can't be more then 10% of the current cap including guys who will go on LTIR(so if the cap is 81.5M the most you can have in contracts before the season starts is 81.5M + 8.15M = 89.65M)

Reactions: Voight

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He is owed 1 million dollars before deferrals/escrow.

what is the point? It’s like 700k. I don’t see how 700k for 1 year helps take on TJ long term

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Take far more then just Johnson and Zetterberg 1 for 1 Tampa still needs to add their 2021 1st round pick + Hugo Alnefet he'd be by far our best Goalie prospect he'll be blocked long term by Andrei vasilevskiy anyways. And hopefully if this deal does go down we can move Johnson to Seattle next summer.
Agree there would have to be a sweetener but this does at least make some sense. From a pure dollar perspective at least the actual cash is even this year. Of course the cap space is what the Lightning need but Detroit will still be in the hook 3 more years.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Zetterberg is owed $1 million in the last year of his deal and Detroit isn't anywhere close to the Cap. Not sure why Detroit would place any value in moving that contract.

Maybe Zetterberg for Johnson (with retention) + 1st + B Prospect.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Zetterberg is owed $1 million in the last year of his deal and Detroit isn't anywhere close to the Cap. Not sure why Detroit would place any value in moving that contract.

Maybe Zetterberg for Johnson (with retention) + 1st + B Prospect.

If they get a 1st from Tampa, it likely won't be with retention, especially since Johnson's contract doesn't have a poison-pill 35+ buyout provision to it like Marleau's did.

Reactions: DaveG

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If they get a 1st from Tampa, it likely won't be with retention.

If Tampa could get rid of Johnson's contract by adding a 1st I think they would have done that months ago.

I'd guess they will end up retaining at least $1 million. That is if they can find somewhere TJ would accept a deal to as he has a full NTC.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Tampa could get rid of Johnson's contract by adding a 1st I think they would have done that months ago.

I'd guess they will end up retaining at least $1 million. That is if they can find somewhere TJ would accept a deal to as he has a full NTC.

I wouldn't read too much into that. The entire league was IMO just waiting to see if there's a season at all. Now that's there's confidence that there will be, the negotiations are starting up again.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Was it ever happened with Yzerman that rumors were actually true. Expect unexpected from him and don't trust any rumors

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The reason for this is to let Tampa sign Cirelli before they find a trade for Killorn, Palat, Gourde or whoever. Just like Toronto did last year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Gotta admit it would be pretty funny to see Yzerman get paid to take on a bad contract that he signed

It isn't necessarily a bad contract though. None of TB's are horrible, it is just that they have too many players making higher cap hits, so some have to go. The reason they are stuck at the moment is the flat cap for the next 3 seasons. Johnson is making about what players like him get, same as Killorn and Palat. Their total team cap hit is the problem, not any individual contract.

All that said, it better be at least a 1st coming with Tyler Johnson and hopefully another decent young player, because a late 1st isn't great for helping them out.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Was it ever happened with Yzerman that rumors were actually true. Expect unexpected from him and don't trust any rumors
True, Yzerman and Tampa are both very tight lipped. But since Friedman mentioned this rumor came out of Europe, maybe word got out from Zetterberg’s camp?

Still not sure the moves makes sense for Detroit without a nice sweetener from Tampa, but I could see Tampa moving Johnson for a LTIR contract.

Reactions: lilidk

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Take far more then just Johnson and Zetterberg 1 for 1 Tampa still needs to add their 2021 1st round pick + Hugo Alnefet he'd be by far our best Goalie prospect he'll be blocked long term by Andrei Vasilevskiy anyways. And hopefully if this deal does go down we can move Johnson to Seattle next summer.
Is hugo the guy who took over the russian net last juniors?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If I had to guess the idea from Detroit perspective. It allows them to pick up a different LTIR contract. I could be wrong but your cap can't be more then 10% of the current cap including guys who will go on LTIR(so if the cap is 81.5M the most you can have in contracts before the season starts is 81.5M + 8.15M = 89.65M)

That makes sense: Detroit could monetize a LTIR spot. Given how the cap is calculated across the season, a contending team might prefer to accumulate a trade deadline spot

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
He is owed 1 million dollars before deferrals/escrow.

what is the point? It’s like 700k. I don’t see how 700k for 1 year helps take on TJ long term
I think this is all it is, a couple hundred thousand dollars in savings for Detroit and an extra contract space. Detroit would never give up assets to drop the contract but if you can get rid of it by adding it to a TJ trade where TB is already in a horrible position, then DET probably should take that opportunity. TB doesn’t have the best sweeteners available besides a 1st round pick and that probably isn’t enough for a TJ trade on its own.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Take far more then just Johnson and Zetterberg 1 for 1 Tampa still needs to add their 2021 1st round pick + Hugo Alnefet he'd be by far our best Goalie prospect he'll be blocked long term by Andrei Vasilevskiy anyways. And hopefully if this deal does go down we can move Johnson to Seattle next summer.

I agree Zett has just 1 yr left. Johnson has 4.

Id be asking for Killorn or Palat. Tampa can try to pay to move Johnson to Seattle.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
looks like a slow news day and Elliot is just throwing out shit , makes zero sense for Det to take on Johnson and there's no need to dump Zetts contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad