News Article: Zetterberg to decide future later in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If he wants to LTIRetire I’d at least like to dress him for the home opener and take the opening face off and just go to the bench. That way everyone can give him a proper send off and a standing ovation.

If the NHL doesn’t like it, they can piss off.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it is all over and I have to admit this one is pretty tough for me as a fan. I really was hopeful we would have one more year and he could be celebrated a lot this season. Alas it appears that will not be the case, time will tell. I expect he still shows up in September to make a final call, hard to see him starting the season on time though given the news on his training today.

We couldn't have a better run of classy leaders and complete hockey players. Big shoes but Larkin looks like another good one to carry the mantle. Hopefully Z stays involved, I would love it if he stayed stateside with an organizational job, I think he is smart enough and driven enough a lot like Stevie to have success in the business side of hockey as well but time will tell if that interests him.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I think most people, at least with a brain, knew he was getting toward the end. Him and kronwall are both a shell of their former self's. It's nothing negative against them. It's just part of aging and having severe injuries.

But this also says a lot about the people they are and the leadership they have. They are literally putting their bodies on the line for this fan base and their team. For that we will always love them.

I'd much rather have them go out on their own term. But injuries especially back injuries can flare up at any time and it's not worth potentially ruining your future any more than he has all ready.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To me, it's really starting to seem like Zetterberg never really intended to play those last three years anyway, and the team has been covering their bases to make sure his LTIR case is a quick slam dunk with the league rather than becoming some Hossa like circus revolving around potential circumvention.... Even if Zetterbergs case is much more compelling than an equipment allergy that after 21 years suddenly and coincidentally becomes unbearable right when the guys yearly salary dropped from $4M to $1M....

IMO, Zetterberg probably goes on LTIR this season and then they look to move his contract at next years draft so having $10.04M in dead space doesn't hinder their ability to sign/re-sign guys during the offseason.

With that said... The real question becomes:

What remaining UFA center is Holland going to sign or bring to camp with the intention of signing? Vermette? Letestu? Stajan? Winnik?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
IMO, Zetterberg probably goes on LTIR this season and then they look to move his contract at next years draft so having $10.04M in dead space doesn't hinder their ability to sign/re-sign guys during the offseason.

No need to waste the assets. They'll only have to eat $2M of Zetterberg's contract next year, and considering 4-5 of Zadina/Rasmussen/Cholowski/Hronek/Svechnikov will be with the team next year, they're gonna have all kinds of cap space.

Franzen comes off the books after that and they can fully LTIR Z's contract.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sucks that it seems his back has become too big of an issue to keep playing. I don't really doubt he's just not physically able to go out there and take the pounding every game. I really wanted to see him get to 1,000 points.

I mean, yeah, but Yzerman was doing it on a first place team. Z wasn't even doing it on a slightly competitive team. There's giving your everything to win a championship, and there's doing it to try to make 70 points. And I get that Z is going to try to give it 100% no matter what, but the team would've been better off (if we subscribe to the notion that Z contributes leadership and helps the younger players) if the coaches had stopped him, and restricted his minutes or given him more days off to extend his career.

All that said, it's sad if last season was really it, and there's no "last shift, standing ovation" moment for him.

Stevie also gassed himself going to the Olympics and then missed pretty much the entire second half of that season. Then over his next three (and last) seasons he averaged around 15 1/2 minutes a game. While missing a ton of games. Yzerman's minutes definitely got pulled back as the team transitioned to a younger core and a new coach.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I will miss him when he's gone. I've had the pleasure of watching the Red Wings since '92, so many great players in-between that time. 6 Stanley cup appearances, 4 cups, many great playoff series... I'm not saying I won't see the Red Wings win another Stanley cup in my life but I doubt highly I'll ever see a stretch of hockey like that from them again in my life. Zetterberg leaving kind of signals the end of that era/good times for me. If he's hurting though which it sounds like he is, he should step away, back pain is terrible and he's got the rest of his life to deal with things.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Not sure if it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any thought that he still wants to play a season or so in Sweden?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Please retire and enjoy a long healthy retirement Henrik. You are one of my favorites ever and going to the Hall of Fame. Risking your long term health playing for this dumpster fire of a team is just not worth it.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No need to waste the assets. They'll only have to eat $2M of Zetterberg's contract next year, and considering 4-5 of Zadina/Rasmussen/Cholowski/Hronek/Svechnikov will be with the team next year, they're gonna have all kinds of cap space.

I mean I agree, but we're talking about a team that had some space going into this summer and spent $6M of it on a back up goalie and a winger of questionable need.

At the same time, they may not need to throw out assets to get rid of the contract. They could flip the last two years to a a team for a player that's LTIRetired or buried that's due more real money than cap hit to free up that $2M for the Wings and free up real money for a low spending team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not sure if it is mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any thought that he still wants to play a season or so in Sweden?

If he does, that's wholly separate from this LTIR stuff. Playing in the SEL or something like that is less strenuous than the NHL. It's why Datsyuk is cool playing in the KHL and not the NHL. A guy like that has his pick of teams back home and instead of being a former superstar, his elite talent makes him a current superstar there. Because the young guys they'll play with aren't ready to be studs yet and a ton of other guys they will play with are former NHL players who are washed up.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
If he does, that's wholly separate from this LTIR stuff. Playing in the SEL or something like that is less strenuous than the NHL. It's why Datsyuk is cool playing in the KHL and not the NHL. A guy like that has his pick of teams back home and instead of being a former superstar, his elite talent makes him a current superstar there. Because the young guys they'll play with aren't ready to be studs yet and a ton of other guys they will play with are former NHL players who are washed up.

Yeah I don't think he/the Wings will have a problem with LTIR. Just really curious if he ends up playing again at all. Not sure we've seen a player of his caliber head back to the SEL. Forsberg was already struggling to complete half a season when he went over.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah I don't think he/the Wings will have a problem with LTIR. Just really curious if he ends up playing again at all. Not sure we've seen a player of his caliber head back to the SEL. Forsberg was already struggling to complete half a season when he went over.

I imagine he'd do it in a year or two. Color me naive, but I think his back actually is ****ed up so he's not gonna be running to play hockey anytime soon if he won't in the NHL.

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

We don't have to get rid of Franzen to LITR Zeta. Getting rid of Franzen helps only if we go over the cap with full LTIR usage.

But that means replacement playerd with value of 9-10 million. Maybe we get Kalrsson or Trouba... who knows.

But cap situation seem to be so healthy for next 1-2 off-seasons, that everything will solve out just by itself.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
We don't have to get rid of Franzen to LITR Zeta. Getting rid of Franzen helps only if we go over the cap with full LTIR usage.

But that means replacement playerd with value of 9-10 million. Maybe we get Kalrsson or Trouba... who knows.

But cap situation seem to be so healthy for next 1-2 off-seasons, that everything will solve out just by itself.

Right, what I meant by, "Fully LTIR Zetterberg" was we can't get all $6M off the books with Franzen there as well. Probably gonna eat $2M of it next year.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I imagine he'd do it in a year or two. Color me naive, but I think his back actually is ****ed up so he's not gonna be running to play hockey anytime soon if he won't in the NHL.

Does Z still own(or at least still have some kind of stake) in Timra?

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
To bad there doesn't seem like a realistic way he could play the 1st game of the season just so all of us fans can give him a proper send off.

Think it was Jeff Marek who talked about wanting to see a player at the end of his last game go out to center ice, take off their skates, leave them there and walk off the ice. Always thought the visual of that would just be awesome, leaving it truly all on the ice. Hearing that Z was my first player I really wanted to see do that.

Reactions: NEWing

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Please retire and enjoy a long healthy retirement Henrik. You are one of my favorites ever and going to the Hall of Fame. Risking your long term health playing for this dumpster fire of a team is just not worth it.
It's time for others to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad