Zero tolerance in Vancouver 2010

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...ro-tolerance-in-vancouver-2010.html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=955&cHash=babf90b6e2

“There is no such thing as a clean hit to the headâ€

With 85 days left to what is expected to be the biggest international ice hockey event ever, the IIHF considers it essential to communicate its rules and policy to hits to the head and neck area. The rule in Vancouver 2010 is simple: There’s no such thing as a clean hit to the head.

The IIHF rule on Checking to the Head & Neck Area (Rule 540) was adopted at the 2002 IIHF Annual Congress in Sweden following research into the cause of concussion and its long term effects. This rule if be very much in force during the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

IIHF Sport Director Dave Fitzpatrick holds the highest executive position from where he oversees the implementation of the IIHF rule book and regulations such as the anti-doping program, transfers and eligibility issues.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
NHL refs will be calling the games, right? Does anyone know which refs were selected? Thinking back to the last couple Olympics, I think they were called much closer to NHL standards than other international tournaments, like the World Championships and so forth.

If they do employ a zero tolerance rule in regards to head hits, it will let us all get a bit of an idea of how a similar rule might work in the NHL. I think it will be a good thing for the tournament. Nobody wants to see headhunting or other assorted shenanigans going on when the whole world is watching.

That being said, when the chips are down and the medals are on the line, I think these games should be officiated relatively closely to NHL standards. I don't want the stink of a sketchy call tainting anybody's medal, and if there's a perception that the games were called in a way that takes the players out of their comfort zone, there's a chance that could happen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
NHL refs will be calling the games, right? Does anyone know which refs were selected? Thinking back to the last couple Olympics, I think they were called much closer to NHL standards than other international tournaments, like the World Championships and so forth.

If they do employ a zero tolerance rule in regards to head hits, it will let us all get a bit of an idea of how a similar rule might work in the NHL. I think it will be a good thing for the tournament. Nobody wants to see headhunting or other assorted shenanigans going on when the whole world is watching.

That being said, when the chips are down and the medals are on the line, I think these games should be officiated relatively closely to NHL standards. I don't want the stink of a sketchy call tainting anybody's medal, and if there's a perception that the games were called in a way that takes the players out of their comfort zone, there's a chance that could happen.

With NHL reffs it will per automatic be basically a NHL standard. Like the obvious rule diffrences aside. No touch icing et c.

The hits to the head could be one diffrence.

But there are many other calls that differs pretty much.

The biggest difference is elbowing -- by the standard in Europe any hit where the player puts up his arms is called elbowing. I don't see a NHL reff getting into stuff like that in such a short time. The rules are the same practically on paper, but its called diffrently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad