Zero confidence in Laviolette

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Gonna Chirp here again.

Fiala on the third? Again for what reason? He's not a shutdown forward or a checking forward. He's a playmaker so that's just crazy.

Secondly I got laughed at the beginning of the season saying Phil should go, the writing was on the wall that he sucked at the PP and possibly the 3v3 area but I don't know if he runs that.

Again we aren't talking about Korn who's only responsibility was the goaltending. So as much development as he has done for the d corps he hasn't produced results and again he wasn't lavy's pick to begin with.

Huh? He didn't play last night. We also don't play a traditional top 9. Our top 9 is usually 3 balanced lines that can all contribute offensively. Only the Johansen line I'd consider a traditional number 1 line. The other two lines are mix and match and our fourth line is made up of the grinders.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I think the idea that a 3rd line is a checking line and a 4th is an energy line is obsolete now.

I think you try and put spark plugs-whether it is hustle or hits throughout the lineup. You also try and check opposing teams depending on the opposing teams strength, Some nights a big body like Johansen will draw the top center-guys like Getzlaf who are big and strong. Sometimes a guy like Jarnkrok will get the call on guys like Spezza.

Although I prefer to just roll lines and make teams match us. That is fun.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Gonna Chirp here again.

Fiala on the third? Again for what reason? He's not a shutdown forward or a checking forward. He's a playmaker so that's just crazy.

Modern hockey teams don't go for "third line == checking/shutdown line" anymore. Modern hockey teams roll multiple scoring lines. Therefore Fiala on the third line is perfectly fine.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think the idea that a 3rd line is a checking line and a 4th is an energy line is obsolete now.

I think you try and put spark plugs-whether it is hustle or hits throughout the lineup. You also try and check opposing teams depending on the opposing teams strength, Some nights a big body like Johansen will draw the top center-guys like Getzlaf who are big and strong. Sometimes a guy like Jarnkrok will get the call on guys like Spezza.

Although I prefer to just roll lines and make teams match us. That is fun.

And that's how winnin' is done.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Modern hockey teams don't go for "third line == checking/shutdown line" anymore. Modern hockey teams roll multiple scoring lines. Therefore Fiala on the third line is perfectly fine.

Yup, hockey before was so much more of a "two scoring lines, who put most of the goals". Nowadays, winning teams have three (HBK-line from Pittsburgh last year)

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Agree with 303's first post. I'm still ok with Lavi right now; we traded our captain and #1 D, PK was injured, FF slumped a bit, etc. We're still in WC spot #1 which is not terrible and Saros appears to be a bright spot for us looking forward.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
There are multiple Claude Julien threads that parallel this, angry at him, angry at the management. Bruins are 3rd in their division with 52 points, Preds are 3rd in our division with 51 points.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
For all the hate that he's getting we're 6-1 in our last seven with all the injuries we've had and all the new additions to the roster in addition to really changing the way we've played as a team. Not saying he's coach of the year but he's adapted more than we think. Also, all the hate on Housley right now because of the PP and OT strategies yet he's been able to get this hodge podge of guys to play as a good unit on the back end goes unnoticed.

This fan base is an all or nothing sort of group. When it's great everyone points out only the good and when we're bad it's the same but when we come out of the bad stretch and are doing well, people will not change their opinion of what the team is doing well. It reminds me of all the hate Suter got even after he was named an all-star. People have their opinion and they won't let go, regardless if things have changed dramatically.

This is not the wide open system Lavy likes to use because he doesn't have the horses to play it right now yet we're winning games because our D has tightened up, Rinne and Saros have been outstanding this month and we're winning close games again. Funny how that all happens.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
For all the hate that he's getting we're 6-1 in our last seven with all the injuries we've had and all the new additions to the roster in addition to really changing the way we've played as a team. Not saying he's coach of the year but he's adapted more than we think. Also, all the hate on Housley right now because of the PP and OT strategies yet he's been able to get this hodge podge of guys to play as a good unit on the back end goes unnoticed.

This fan base is an all or nothing sort of group. When it's great everyone points out only the good and when we're bad it's the same but when we come out of the bad stretch and are doing well, people will not change their opinion of what the team is doing well. It reminds me of all the hate Suter got even after he was named an all-star. People have their opinion and they won't let go, regardless if things have changed dramatically.

This is not the wide open system Lavy likes to use because he doesn't have the horses to play it right now yet we're winning games because our D has tightened up, Rinne and Saros have been outstanding this month and we're winning close games again. Funny how that all happens.

The D has been really good, there's no doubt about that.

The PP has been bad, however. The 3-on-3 OT has been beyond words. It is Laviolette's responsibility to get those turned around. Does that mean that Housley should be fired? Perhaps not. Maybe Laviolette needs to help oversee those aspects, or have McCarthy help.

Whatever it is, it ultimately falls to Laviolette to get it better.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I agree with Glen. I am surprised that the Preds have done as well as they have with all of the injuries this season.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I have a hard time judging Lavy based on this season --

Like it or not, Subban is our best defenseman and had just started to settle in and hit stride in the system when he got hurt...and he's now been out for a month and a half.

Neal is our best forward, he's missed big chunks of time and played hurt for chunks.

Forsberg started the season on a near historical run of bad luck and uncharacteristic play.

Ellis missed a decent chunk of time.

Josi has missed and probably will miss a good chunk.

Ekholm has struggled at times.

Mazanec should NEVER have played a game in Nashville.

Rinne has been his usual up and down.

That's a lot of factors that I don't necessarily place entirely on the coaching staff -- or I put more on McCarthy and Housley.

I'd like to see Lavy pick two new assistants this offseason. I think Housley...whose responsibilities include a lukewarm PP that has the personnel to be the best in the league AND 3-3 OT...has been a disaster. McCarthy...again, PK has been up and down throughout his time, seems like an old school guy.

Lavy may be a or the problem, but realistically he's got a new 3 year deal starting next season...he'll get at least a eyar of that to right the ship. Assistants are a little easier to cycle in midstream.

Gotta agree with this. Two main legit reasons have been 1) Injuries to a bunch of star players 2) Unlucky October run. The fact that we're 3rd place in our division is amazing considering we've been hit hard. The only main things I blame Lavy/management is playing Mazanec and the up/down of Fiala.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Negative Thread = Tough Love. Everyone needs a good kick in the pants now and then. I'll admit, I was on the "maybe it's Lavy" bandwagon and...maybe it was! I'm jumping off for now but I have a reserved seat for the future, just in case.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Negative Thread = Tough Love. Everyone needs a good kick in the pants now and then. I'll admit, I was on the "maybe it's Lavy" bandwagon and...maybe it was! I'm jumping off for now but I have a reserved seat for the future, just in case.
Pretty much where I am.

I was almost convinced that Lavy was our main problem but you can't deny our recent stretch of play and the results we've gotten under tough circumstances.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I believe there was a discussion about this on SXM Sports Nation this morning. The two teams in the Super Bowl aren't the two best remaining teams, per se, as much as they are the "survivors".

That is like 100x the case when it comes to the Stanley Cup. I'd have to look back, but I'd have to think every team that's won the Cup in the Predator Era has done so in least 25-26 games 23-24 games (looked it up). Consider that that's like asking the NFL to require everyone to play 4 games just to get to the Super Bowl, or in MLB if they played 43 to get to the World Series.

EDIT: Of the last 17 Cups, only five of them have seen the team with the most games played not winning.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad