Zenon Konopka

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'd say its a minor league deal. He spent some time in the Penguins minor league system.

He's a pretty unique player with a lot of intangibles. A very likeable player. He has excellent playmaking instincts, isn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone (he can throw 'em pretty good) and is a beast in the faceoff circle. His last year in juniors with the Ottawa 67s, he had 86 points (68 assists), 100 PIM and ended up winning 75% of his faceoffs. I know Don Cherry really likes the guy (for whatever the hell thats worth) and thinks that all this guy needs is a chance.

He has some impressive ECHL numbers, but only had 11 points in some 40+ games with the Utah Grizzlies. He seems to be fighting and taking penalties a lot more than he did in juniors, and it may be that acting as an enforcer may eventually be his primary role.

I don't know if he'll ever make it, but I've been rooting for him since he signed with the Penguins a few years ago.

And he has the best name in hockey.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Thanks Clefty

Zenon will be playing in the Pacific Division Rookie Tournament Sept 9th-13th. Sounds like he will be a player to keep an eye on.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Zenon should be in the definition of "All around game". He does anything and everything a hockey player should do. He's got good offensive abilities, good defensive abilities, he hits, he fights, he can turn a game around. If everything he did was just a couple notches better, he would be a top prospect/player in the league one day. I think he'll be an excellent top end minor leaguer. He'll probably also get his share of time on the bottom lines in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad