Waived: Zenon Konopka (Jan 3: Claimed by Buffalo)

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Konopka's never really been a good signing. When you are converting wingers to centers to play over ZK, that says all you need to know.

Figured he was only brought in because A) he could win face offs and B) this team had no one to be the fighter after Boogaard was let go

Can say what you want, but I can assure you a good portion of the people at the Wild games only wanted to see a fight, and he gave them that.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I would have sent Rupp down. Guy hasn't done anything this season. Konopka at least provides face-offs and is more than willing to fight for teammates. Rupp is just out there taking up space. And veilleux really? What does he do up here. Not a big fan of waiving ZK.

I was surprised hearing the news that it was Zenon being waived and not Rupp or Veilleux. Makes me think Avder's on to something.

Thinking there might be another move Fletcher is attempting that may be best served by chucking a 4th line center off the team.

Hopefully it is a 3rd line center. I'm tired of Brodz being an offensive blackhole for a season and a half. Last year he was sick, fine. But this year he just has no intensity to his game at all.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Now I'm just terrified Chuck is going to overpay for some tweener vet center that adds nothing to the team.

Big C

May 13, 2012
Zenon just isnt good enough in my opinion. Yeah, he's willing to fight but he's far away from being an agitator good enough to compensate for his lack of skills.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I was surprised hearing the news that it was Zenon being waived and not Rupp or Veilleux. Makes me think Avder's on to something.

Hopefully it is a 3rd line center. I'm tired of Brodz being an offensive blackhole for a season and a half. Last year he was sick, fine. But this year he just has no intensity to his game at all.

Yeah it sounds like Brodz is getting busted down to 4th line center which is where a lot of us have wanted him for a while.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
That's cause he's got a book smart Harvard mind not a hockey mind.

Yup, no great hockey minds ever attended an Ivy League school. :laugh:

Hockey smarts and book smarts just don't mix! Complete opposite ends of the spectrum. :sarcasm:

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
Konopka was/is completely useless outside of faceoffs. IMO he makes Brodziak look like an offensive juggernaut, is a liability defensively, takes bad penalties, doesn't strike fear into anyone and often fights at dumb times.

Even still, I believe Konopka was waived over Rupp because there's a chance someone might pick him up. Rupp should be waived too, it's just there's is zero chance anyone picks him up.

And no way they waive Veilleux right now, he's on a two-way and is more useful then Konopka or Rupp (still not saying much), but at least Veilleux brings some speed and is better offensively and defensively then Rupp or Konopka.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Konopka was/is completely useless outside of faceoffs. IMO he makes Brodziak look like an offensive juggernaut, is a liability defensively, takes bad penalties, doesn't strike fear into anyone and often fights at dumb times.

Even still, I believe Konopka was waived over Rupp because there's a chance someone might pick him up. Rupp should be waived too, it's just there's is zero chance anyone picks him up.

And no way they waive Veilleux right now, he's on a two-way and is more useful then Konopka or Rupp (still not saying much), but at least Veilleux brings some speed and is better offensively and defensively then Rupp or Konopka.

I would agree that Brodziak is now down to where he belongs on the 4th line, and I bet he is happier than pig in ****. The pressure of 3rd line scoring is completely off his shoulders. Now watch him net those clutch goals like he did in years past :biglaugh:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Has ANY of Fletcher's 3rd line/4th line guys worked out yet?

Matt Cooke?

While I'm not big on ZK, I'm also surprised he was put on waivers. As Russo said, this move had NOTHING to do with opening a roster spot for Kuemper. They could have made room by making moves that didn't involve waiving anybody. Konopka isn't a very good player, but he does provide value in the face off department.

I'm wondering if something happened that none of us know about? Did Konopka and a player or coach or GM have words with each other? Was there an incident that happened that forced Fletcher's hand here?

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Good for him, hopefully he'll get regular ice time with them.

Great guy, not a great hockey player.

Bump Brodziak down to 4th line, give Haula a chance at 3rd line center.
/pipe dream

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Very cool that his hometown is not far from Buffalo, either. That's great. Good for him.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Good for him, hopefully he'll get regular ice time with them.

Great guy, not a great hockey player.

Bump Brodziak down to 4th line, give Haula a chance at 3rd line center.
/pipe dream

Broziak is already on the 4th line? I think they are gonna go with these centers for now..

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's a nice guy.

Okay, now that is out of the way. This is a good thing for the team. With younger players stepping up and Brodziak/Mitchell moving down, freeing up salary and roster spots without hurting the fourth line is great.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Matt Cooke?

While I'm not big on ZK, I'm also surprised he was put on waivers. As Russo said, this move had NOTHING to do with opening a roster spot for Kuemper. They could have made room by making moves that didn't involve waiving anybody. Konopka isn't a very good player, but he does provide value in the face off department.

I'm wondering if something happened that none of us know about? Did Konopka and a player or coach or GM have words with each other? Was there an incident that happened that forced Fletcher's hand here?

Well, Russo did mention on Twitter that Konopka wasn't Yeo's guy.

https://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/418862863143276545

So there's one possible explanation.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Broziak is already on the 4th line? I think they are gonna go with these centers for now..

I don't like Coyle at center, and I don't trust Yeo to leave Brodziak on the 4th line. Hence my pipe dream comment.

We either need to beat the Coyle experiment into the ground, let Haula try for 3rd line center or sign/trade for a middle-6 center. Brodziak clearly doesn't belong, at least as long as he continues his complete inability to produce anything offensive. Coyle hasn't looked that good at all, but looks even worse at center... Right now, that leaves Haula or a trade.

Frankly, I'm extremely concerned about our center situation, If Koivu goes down, the team goes with him. If Granlund goes down, we're in quite a bit of trouble, again. Coyle has shown me nothing at center, and isn't remotely impressive at wing, either...

The kid movement is scaring me more and more as this year goes on. None of them are consistent and I'd say none of them are excelling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad