Zemgus26's Mock Draft (2.0)

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Based off Standings on January 9th, 2016
Now that we got to see quite a few of these guys at the World Juniors I though it would be a good time for my second one of these. Let me know what you think!

1.0 http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1983549

1. :cbjAuston Matthews (C) - This is a pretty much clear choice for whoever selects first overall, but is even easier for a team like Columbus who just traded their young 1C and have nno replacement in the pipeline.

2. :sabresPatrik Laine (RW) - Buffalo has two glaring holes that they could fill here; wingers (Finns) or LHD (Chychrun). In the end, they go with the BPA in Laine, a powerful winger who can really shoot the puck and has showed that at all levels he has played at.

3. :edmontonJesse Puljujarvi (RW) - Quite a few people were getting pretty down on him after he was failing to produce as much as expected this season. That however changed when he put up one of the most impressive WJC performances by a kid his age ever. Although offense doesn’t seem like the solution in Edmonton, there is no other choice but to go with the Finn with size, speed and skill here as they don’t need a D 3 years away from being an impact player, they need one NOW. Maybe then they can trade one of Eberle/Yakupov for a good D-man!

4. :bruins [VIA SJS] – Jakob Chychrun (LHD) - Well, if San Jose continues this way the Bruins could REALLY luck out here. Although they have great depth at all positions, including D, they lack that guy with true #1 potential to replace the aging Chara. Chychrun has this potential no doubt, and although he isn’t the clear #2/3 pick in this draft like he was earlier this year, he is still a fantastic all around defenseman.

5. :leafsMatthew Tkachuk (LW) - He seems to close out what is often seen as the clear top-5 players of the draft. Not only being BPA, but he gives the Leafs a high end LW in their system and yet another London Knight who they seem to be fond of.

6. :flamesJulien Gauthier (RW) - Calgary is weak both at the NHL level and throughout their system in terms of right wings. Gauthier brings terrific size to a smaller top-6 and has the goal scoring ability that should mesh well with elite playmakers such as Gaudreau.

7. :canesAlexander Nylander (RW) - The Canes have stocked up on young D who seem like locks to be at least top-4 quality for a long time (Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury). However, their forward youth leaves a lot to be desired outside a couple nice pieces. Nylander brings elite offensive skill much like his brother and has star player upside for Carolina.

8. :nucksMikhail Sergachyov (LHD) – Many people, myself included, think Juolevi is the better prospect but Sergachyov’s upside is hard to ignore and intriguing for teams picking at this point. Vancouver NEEDS defense, that much is clear, and although this might be a riskier pick than Juolevi the payoff could be huge if he becomes the #1 LHD he is capable of becoming.

9. :jetsOlli Juolevi (LHD) - Winnipeg is thrilled that the Finnish LHD fell to them at #9 as he is exactly what they need. Juolevi proved to be a top prospect as one of the best D at the whole WJC tournament. He is incredible in his transition game with pin point passing and would add a whole lot of potential to a Jets left D side that is relatively bare outside of Morrissey.

10. :ducksPierre-Luc Dubois (C/LW) - I still think Anaheim makes the playoffs, but if they don’t they will be able to add a skilled player to an already strong looking future. With Ritchie, Getzlaf and Perry, their top-6 will be loaded with size + skill, but why not add one more? Dubois is the BPA at this point and would make a great compliment whether it be next Getzlaf or next to Kesler.

11. :flyersMax Jones (LW) - Philly has built up one of the best defense prospects groups in the league with top-4 talent running 5 or so players deep. Clearly they need offense, and potentially someone who could fill that LW role next to Giroux and Voracek. Jones has that potential and while he hasn’t fully found his offense in the OHL yet, he could be a real steal if he does with his combination of size and skill.

12. :pensTyson Jost (C/W) - Due to the aging of many of their former good wingers (Kunitz, Dupuis, etc.) Pittsburgh is really lacking in winger for their dynamic center duo. It’s hard to accurately judge how good Jost is compared to his peers since he is playing in a lesser league but his numbers are hard to ignore. He is versatile enough to play any forward position and has the scoring ability to make for a good complimentary player along side Crosby or Malkin.

13. :sensMichael McLeod (C) - Ottawa would be thrilled to pick up quite the steal at this point. McLeod has constantly been in the discussion for top-10 picks and to get the massive center is simply a case of BPA for a Sens prospect group that is well balanced at all positions. With McLeod and the impressive work so far by Colin White the Senators appear to have a very bright future down the middle.

14. :boltsDante Fabbro (RHD) - Another team that has built up depth at all positions allowing them to solely focus on BPA is Tampa. Fabbro, like Jost, plays in a lesser league but even considering that he has brought impressive offense to his team while being a solid player in his own zone as well.

15. :coyotesJake Bean (LHD) - Maybe there are some better forwards available but it wouldn’t make much sense to pass on a potential top pairing D when outside of OEL the sorely lack that throughout the whole organization. Coyotes have tons of future offense up front with Strome, Domi, Duclair and many more so to balance that out they add some offense from their back end with one of the best offensive defenseman in the draft.

16. :devils Clayton Keller (C/LW) - I don’t know exactly what it is, but I just feel like Keller will be this years Dylan Larkin. Great two-way game and so much potential while still being available mid-1st is perfect for the Devils. New Jersey is starting to improve their offense, but still have a long way to go and with their first pick this year they have to pick guys like Keller with tons of upside.

17. :avsTyler Benson (LW) - Colorado has had quite the upswing of late as just recently they were picking in a top-10 position. Despite missing out on the top end wingers, there is still plenty of good ones left. Lacking in talent AND depth at BOTH wings is something that should be addressed with this pick. Benson has had a rough season due to an early injury but has flashed skill that shows he can become a potent top-6 scoring LW someday.

18. :nashvilleKieffer Bellows (C/W) - Despite losing Jones, their future at D still looks bright for the foreseeable future but although they brought in Johansen, which seemingly solves their ongoing 1C issue, they could still use some offense up front. Bellows has shown great goal scoring ability that should translate well to a top-6 role in the NHL.

19. :bruinsRasmus Asplund (C/LW) - After getting their franchise D man earlier on in the draft it is time for them to pick someone to help their offense at this point. Asplund played quite well in the offensive role he was given at the WJC and outside of DeBrusk they are lacking in good LW’s. Asplund’s upside isn’t very high but his game should at minimum translate to him being an effective 3rd liner.

20. :coyotes [VIA NYR] – Charlie McAvoy (RHD) - You can never have enough good defenseman and this is especially true in the Coyotes case. Even after adding Bean earlier they have few defensemen with top-4 potential. McAvoy has a good two-way game and gives them a guy on the right side to keep up with a left side that now features OEL and Bean.

21. :habsLogan Brown (C) - Montreal is heavily relying on Galchenyuk for their future at C to be good. Outside of that they have Plekanec (who is getting up there in age) and a lot of bottom-6 guys. As an insurance for this, they might want to consider taking a center with potential at this position. Brown is a gamble; if he finds his offensive game he can be a massive top-6 C but if he doesn’t he will still likely become a bottom-6 guy. At this point, it is a risk worth taking for Montreal.

22. :islesGerman Rubstov (C) - New York has at least one high end prospect at each position which allows them with their 1st to go for BPA. Rubstov flies under many people’s radar due to where he plays, but he brings everything you want in a player. Add to the fact that he plays an important position where it always great to have depth at and he seems like a good choice for the Islanders.

23. :wingsSam Steel (C) - Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren’t getting an younger and despite getting Larkin as a steal a couple years ago, they could use another steal here….Sam Steel. Outside of Larkin their future at C is bone dry. Steel doesn’t have the crazy upside of Larkin, but he also has a very high floor and I believe he will become a very good 2C in the NHL.

24. :wild Alex DeBrincat (LW/RW) - I’m as big of a fan as DeBrincat as anyone else but generally smaller players do drop. Despite his top-10 skill, due to his size and disappointing WJC I see him falling to the late first. However, for a team like Minnesota who has a shortage of top wingers in their system, DeBrincat’s skill is worth swinging for the fences on.

25. :bluesCarl Grundstrom (LW) - St. Louis has quality young defensemen both at the NHL and throughout varying levels of their system. This makes taking a forward with this pick a likely choice. Grundstrom performed well at the WJC’s and his lack of points was more due to bad luck than anything else. His upside isn’t high, but his floor sure is and he looks like a guy who can be a quality 3rd line guy in the NHL and possesses all the tools needed to make it there.

26. :panthers Vitali Abramov (RW) - Florida has a nice group of young forwards like LW’s (Huberdeau/Crouse) and C’s (Barkov/Bjugstad). There top-RW Jagr however can’t play forever though (At least I think not!) and they have zero quality RW prospects. Abramov is a winger with tons of skill and although he has things to work on, he could pay off as a valuable scoring piece in Florida’s future top-6.

27. :canes - Luke Kunin (C) - Carolina takes a forward at the top of the draft and aren’t hesitant to do so again. They need all the help the can get with the Staal’s not performing as well as they used to and it’s time to move on for some more youth in their top-6 and their current center group just isn’t going to cut it.

28. :hawksCarter Hart (G) - Chicago has a great NHL goalie in Crawford. However, they lack depth at this position with only a couple current back-ups and a couple really longshot future backups in their system. Hart is an elite goalie prospect and is clearly the best goalie in this draft. With such a late first, it is worth a shot for the Hawks.

29. :starsKale Clague (LHD) - We all know Dallas has one of the best group of forwards in the NHL with a top-6 full of dangerous players. The Stars also have some nice offensive defenseman in it’s orginzation (Klingberg, Honka, Lindell, etc.). And although they have improved at this, their biggest weakness is keeping the pucks out of the net. Clague is one of the best defensive defensemen in this draft and fills a need perfectly for Dallas at this spot.

30. :capsRiley Tufte (LW) - With the final pick of the first round the Capitals select a fantastic goal scorer in Tufte. The Capitals have no LW’s in their system with top-6 potential and outside of Ovechkin don’t have this as a position of strength at the NHL level either. Tufte gives them a high potential prospect that is quickly rising through the ranks with a solid year.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
Personally, I think Toronto would go with Nylander or Juolevi at 5, whom are both better skaters and imho have higher upside. I just don't see Tkachuk as being in that "clear top 5".

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Personally, I think Toronto would go with Nylander or Juolevi at 5, whom are both better skaters and imho have higher upside. I just don't see Tkachuk as being in that "clear top 5".

Nylander would be my second choice for them there. I think there is a gap between Tkachuk at 5 and the next few guys but it's not a very large one. I agree that Nylander has higher upside but Tkachuk is also safer and LW seems like more of a need for Toronto over RW.

If they choose to go D, Juolevi is the obvious choice, I just don't see it at 5 however.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Nylander would be my second choice for them there. I think there is a gap between Tkachuk at 5 and the next few guys but it's not a very large one. I agree that Nylander has higher upside but Tkachuk is also safer and LW seems like more of a need for Toronto over RW.

If they choose to go D, Juolevi is the obvious choice, I just don't see it at 5 however.

Toronto isn't going for the safe pick, they're going for upside, and I think ignoring need altogether as we could use a stud or two everywhere.

It's just my personal opinion that Toronto would see Juolevi and Nylander as BPA over Tkachuk, and skating is a big reason why.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Toronto isn't going for the safe pick, they're going for upside, and I think ignoring need altogether as we could use a stud or two everywhere.

It's just my personal opinion that Toronto would see Juolevi and Nylander as BPA over Tkachuk, and skating is a big reason why.

Fair enough to your points, to each their own. And thanks for pointing that out about Sergachyov...I have seen him listed as both so wasn't quite sure.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
This draft will be tougher than ever. Very much demand for each team will set their selection.

BornBruliever

Aug 18, 2011
Great list but I think Bruins would swing for fences here and take DeBrincat or gamble on the big C in Brown after getting exactly what they needed/wanted in Chychrun.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Great list but I think Bruins would swing for fences here and take DeBrincat or gamble on the big C in Brown after getting exactly what they needed/wanted in Chychrun.

Personally I like both those players a bit more than Asplund, but it's close.

What got me to pick Asplund over Brown is that Boston still has Bergeron-Krejci down the middle along with some good bottom-six prospects. Outside of Marchand and DeBrusk not much to like at LW IMO. Asplund over DeBrincat is simply because I think DeBrincat will fall more than he should like small players always do.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Hall-Draisaitl-________
Pulijarvi-Mcdavid-Yakupov

This would allow the Oilers to ship out RNH and Eberle for help on the backend. I like it.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
why would they take a marginal goalie in the first round you are messed

No needn't be hasty now! :help:

Chicago has basically nothing in their system like I said, that's why. They have Tomkins (a 7th rounder doing not well in the NCAA) and Nalimov (a 6th rounder doing alright but not great in the KHL). in other words, the organization could use another high end guy with starter potential other than Crawford.

LoveNHL

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Great draft. Matthews is first and should be. Laine second and should be. Third draft can be any of the guys between 3-7. The teams need will set who they chose.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Great draft. Matthews is first and should be. Laine second and should be. Third draft can be any of the guys between 3-7. The teams need will set who they chose.
Imo I think it's pretty safe to say the top 3 is a lock. I really can't see Matthews, Laine, and Pulijarvi being drafted outside the top 3

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Imo I think it's pretty safe to say the top 3 is a lock. I really can't see Matthews, Laine, and Pulijarvi being drafted outside the top 3

Although those are the top-3 guys right now I don't think that's true. I could easily see Chychrun going top 3 to a team instead needing D. Even Buffalo instead of one of the Finns is possible

L13

Oct 1, 2015
If DeBrincat is still there at 23 and that's where Detroit drafts, no way they're passing on him, only for him to be drafted with the next pick. Michigan-born and the prospect with the highest upside at that point--they'll take him and run.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
If DeBrincat is still there at 23 and that's where Detroit drafts, no way they're passing on him, only for him to be drafted with the next pick. Michigan-born and the prospect with the highest upside at that point--they'll take him and run.

I don't think the "Michigan born" part will have much relevance in their decision. Also despite his upside, he also is much more likely to bust and plays a position of strength (wing) rather than address a weakness (center). Could be wrong, but he'd be one of my last choices for Detroit there.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I would be fine with the Wings taking Steel, it's just your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. Outside of Larkin, the Wings have Sheahan already a proven 3C with 2C potential, Athanasiou who will join the team next year and has 2/3 C potential, as well as both Turgeon and Ehn who will both be in the AHL next year and have bottom 6 potential. For comparisons sake all four of the teams AHL defenseman prospects are waiver eligible next year and Saarijarvi is the only meaningful defenseman prospect the Wings will have. I would say that they are much thinner on defense, but regardless they should take BPA and I'm fine if that is Steel

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I would be fine with the Wings taking Steel, it's just your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. Outside of Larkin, the Wings have Sheahan already a proven 3C with 2C potential, Athanasiou who will join the team next year and has 2/3 C potential, as well as both Turgeon and Ehn who will both be in the AHL next year and have bottom 6 potential. For comparisons sake all four of the teams AHL defenseman prospects are waiver eligible next year and Saarijarvi is the only meaningful defenseman prospect the Wings will have. I would say that they are much thinner on defense, but regardless they should take BPA and I'm fine if that is Steel

Fair enough. I debated giving them a D there as that for sure is a need too. I know they have many bottom-6 centres, I'm just not optimistic about their top-6 C's. I thought Athanasiou was more of a winger but I could be wrong on that. I like Sheahan, (he used to be my neighbour :laugh:) but I more see him as a good 3C longterm. And like you said, Turgeon and Ehn are more bottom-6 potential guys. I just think long term a 2C like Steel would be nice however I think McAvoy if available would be a good RHD for them to target.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Good work! I'd be cool with taking Dubois, but personally my pick there would be McLeod.

Thanks! Either would be a great pick and give them even more size in their top-6. I just think Dubois is better though and think he would be a really good pick if still available at 10 as I consider him top-8 in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad