Zdeno Chara vs Al MacInnis

Chara vs MacInnis

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Macinnis

the separation between macinnis and character offensively is far greater than the separation defensively. Macinnis never had a plus minus worse than +2 in any season (except his last season where he played 3 games)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
MacInnis:
3 x AS1
3 x AS2
1 x Conn Smythe
Norris - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8
Hart - 6, 8, 10

Chara:
3 x AS1
4 x AS2
0 x Conn Smythe
Norris - 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8
Hart - 8

Reactions: banks

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm inclined to say it was close, but....

MacInnis:
3 x AS1
3 x AS2
1 x Conn Smythe
Norris - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 6, 7, 8, 8, 8
Hart - 6, 8, 10

Chara:
3 x AS1
4 x AS2
0 x Conn Smythe
Norris - 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8
Hart - 8

I'm surprised to see MacInnis with 3 top 10 Hart finishes. That's a big deal. I'd take him.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Chara is too much of a unicorn not to go with. Jack Edwards is a tool, but I’ve always loved this call:

“SiX fOoT EiGhT aNd DaNcInG LiKe A bAllErInA!!!”

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’d give MacInnis the edge mainly on his Conn Smythe run, and a slightly longer prime. Chara had some good playoffs, but he’s missing that iconic playoff a lot of all time greats have.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I’d give MacInnis the edge mainly on his Conn Smythe run, and a slightly longer prime. Chara had some good playoffs, but he’s missing that iconic playoff a lot of all time greats have.

What’s a better all time defense pairing than MacInnis/Pronger?

Stevens/Neidermayer?

Al’s slapshot was the most feared thing in the NHL

I wonder if Chara’s all star game hardest shot record would compare

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
MacInnis.... Would've had more Norrises if not for having the competition of Bourque, Chelios, Leetch, Coffey. His prime years lasted from around 1984 to 2002. Never had a bad year in his career!

Greater playoff performer too imo.

Chara is more comparable to Leetch, keith or Niedermayer.

Reactions: banks

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Stevens/Neidermayer?

Assuming the Blues & Devils guys were consistently paired together, I don't think Stevens/Niedermayer are even close to Macinnis/Pronger.

Stevens at his best was never better than either Blues player.

Niedermayer at his best was never better than either Blues player.

Stevens is in that fourth tier of D players. Behind third tier players like Chelios & Pronger. Second tier players would be Bourque, Lidstrom, and Harvey. First tier player is Orr.

Niedermayer may be in that 4th tier. Depending on if one looks at him at his very best or overall career.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Stevens/Neidermayer?

To everyone except Nieuwendyk, who bravely stood in front of net tipping them while everyone else was diving for cover

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
MacInnis. Not sure it's even remotely close.

I agree with my vote, but caution against any “ainec”. Stevens is the most limited of the 4, but struck even more fear in forwards entering the zone than Pronger or Blake. And when you say “neidermayer at his best was never better than either blues player”, there may be some playoffs you missed.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I agree with my vote, but caution against any “ainec”. Stevens is the most limited of the 4, but struck even more fear in forwards entering the zone than Pronger or Blake. And when you say “neidermayer at his best was never better than either blues player”, there may be some playoffs you missed.

I didn't miss any playoffs.

Pronger was better than Niedermayer in the 07 playoffs. Niedermayer won the CS due to two Niedermayer suspensions. Pronger's 06 playoffs is better than anything Niedermayer ever did. Especially considering Pronger carried that team. Niedermayer played on stacked teams where Stevens got most minutes.

The bolded is referring to MacInnis over Chara. It's not close. Chara will get votes mostly because many didn't see MacInnis in his prime.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
It's close but I think MacInnis because of the offense he added. Both of them were really strong defensively at their bests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad